lori_40

bilobata and tsangii

lori_40
14 years ago

What is the difference? both names are on the tag? which one do i go by? Lori

Comments (15)

• wrynsmom
    14 years ago

Can you post a picture? Chances are, if it's an EA plant it's DS-70.

Carolyn

• lori_40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes, it is an exotic angel plant, what is Ds-70? I will post a picture as soon as i can,(in the kitchen cooking supper right now)

• wrynsmom
    14 years ago

Here's my H. DS-70 and H. brevialata. Both were mislabeled EA plants.

Carolyn

• lori_40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here is a picture of my hoya, i was wondering which name to go by, thanks, lori

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:944822}}

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

I believe in our circles, we consider that plant DS-70, or as I sometimes write H. DS-70/Tsangii.

• wrynsmom
    14 years ago

Yep, definitely DS-70!

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

There was a naming mix up and it has been carried on ever since but Hoya tsangii and Hoya DS-70 are two seperate species both from the same section which is called Acanthostemma. Hoya DS-70 has leaves that are velvety on the surface and sometimes with a darker margin when grown in bright light, the flowers are small and pinkish.
    Hoya tsangii has lance shaped leaves and small yellow flowers. The fact that many people trade or sell these plants commercially with the wrong names has just made the probelm worse but once you see the two plants you will be able to tell them apart no problem.

Hoya DS-70 flowers

An old photo of my Hoya tsangii cutting for comparison, my plant has not flowered yet. This species was formerly named Hoya odetteae.

Hoya bilobata resembles Hoya DS-70 but the leaves are smooth and the flowers smaller and slightly different. Both Hoya bilobata and Hoya tsangii are much less common in collections that Hoya DS-70 is. There is also Hoya burtoniae which closley resembles Hoya DS-70 but if I remember correctly it's flowers are larger and more purple than pink.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Wow, that's a VERY differet Hoya than I've ever seen before!! What's it's name? Where might I get that?

I'm not so frequent to buy Hoyas online or from Nurseries (I belong to a local plant society). But that is STRIKING, the foliage alone.

So that's a true Tsangii??

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Hoya tsangii is hard to find but I tracked mine down under the old name of Hoya odetteae, it came from Paul Shirley Succulents. The Liddle's sell this species as well but I think those are the only two sources I have seen.
    My plant is growing nicely and since the photo it has added three new vines that are about 12" long and just leafing out now. The flower count is usually much lower with this species when compared to Hoya DS-70 but I can't wait for my plant to bloom so I can see it's yellow flowers.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: A photo of Hoya tsangii's flowers found on Flickr

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mike, I was given a small plant of H. odetteae as a gift from a hoya friend. I love it...it is very cute and small. Waiting for blooms someday also.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

That's what I like about this one it's small growing and it has a very oped airy and almost delicate look to it. I might pot mine up into a larger pot to see if I can get it to reach blooming size by this summer.

Mike

• paul_
    13 years ago

So why "DS-70"? Anybody know if that actually stands for something? Just curious

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

When new species are collected but not yet identified or formally published as a new species they retain the collection number or catalog number that the collector gave the plant. Acronyms like IML (Iris Marie Liddle) GPS (Gerrard Paul Shirly) often go along with a catalog number. I am not sure what DS stands for but it is probably a persons initials.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya names and abbreviations

• paul_
    13 years ago

Thanks, Mike!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions