Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

THE Prestigious Hoya Internship

greedygh0st
13 years ago

Ha! Perked up your ears, didn't you?

But seriously guys. If you didn't have a life (Of course you have a life, don't say that!), and such a thing existed as Hoya internships, which theoretical internship would you accept? Where would you go? Who would you study with? What would you get out of it? What cuttings would you walk away with? How long would you stay?

Comments (9)

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Note: Feel free to bring dead Hoya experts back to life, travel back in time, be 18 again, or whatever floats your boat.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I would have to say that I would love to go work with the woman who is currently working in Papua New Guinea to catalog the Hoya species with the help of local deaf people. This to me is very exciting.
    Beyond Paradise Forest I would just love to go to visit any of the Thai growers or especially trekking in Borneo and the Philippines in search of new Hoyas. How about Hoya globe trotting, does that count?
    I would most like to find new Acanthostemma section species, little Hoyas with little flowers that I just seem to find so interesting.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Paradise Forest

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That sounds like an awesome make-believe internship, Mike. I remember you linking us to information on her work before and it's very cool on multiple levels.

I have to say I favor the idea of hooking up with one of those Thai or Philippines collectors, too. Although I've no doubt I'd be a terrible disappointment to them the way I wilt in the sun. I guess I should have taken up an interest in tundra herbs or something.

Is there such thing as Hoya globe trotting? More like Hoya island hopping, unless you're going to hunt for Hoya relatives, too. :P (Did you like the way I just referred to Australia as an island there? Wait, maybe I referred to Asia as an island, too...)

I have to admit that, since I brought it up, I'd also love to time travel back to meet some of the people who were collecting Hoyas when the genus was first being identified and named. Or see what our current batch of Hoya all-stars were doing in their late 20s.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Being sort of tired at the moment I'd probably do my internship in Ted's yard or at Jack's place!

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

I didn't understand exactly what the topic is about! LOL, but following Mike's response I'd love to go to Thailand to collect new species and to visit the nursery of some of our sellers.

• klyde
    13 years ago

Ditto on the being sort of tired at the moment bit. I think my internship would take place sitting in an armchair at Greedyghost's and Mike's place with a large cup of tea in my hand, watching the powerpoint presentation.

To heck with that. This is my fantasy after all sooo being fabulously wealthy, I have hired GG and Mike to source out some nice stuff for me, them, hell all of us! They will of course have to take a year sabbatical from their jobs, but I pay extremely well and cover all expenses.

Kelly V

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Haha. Thanks for lumping me in with Mike there. That's quite the compliment. I'm more like the anal-retentive sidekick who sets Mike's projector up. :P I won't say I don't have the researcher bug, but I'm probably a good 10 years behind him (in expertise, not age, isn't that sad?)

That said, I totally accept your generous job offer!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Kelly I think you should take up avid lottery playing. :)
    I love the thought of being a personal Hoya gardener/explorer and plant collector.

Mike

• klyde
    13 years ago

I'm on it. Lottery playing that is.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions