Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyknits

Rooting Hormones

kellyknits
13 years ago

Does anyone use rooting hormones and if so what brand and is it liquid, powder or gel?

I have, but I really am undecided about the success of using them.

Kelly

Comments (22)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

KLN is a good product and it works for both rooting and plants that have a damaged root system. I have not used this product for years but it was always very helpful while rooting stubborn orchid divisions.

Mike

• jakalfoshakal
    13 years ago

ive used roots accelerator and clonex gel when its warm they seem to work well and soften the stem enough to help cuttings take root. During colder months i think these are less effective and i have rotted more cuttings by using these than just sticking cuttings in water and letting them alone

• klyde
    13 years ago

Kelly WV

I use RH all the time. Stim-Root No. 1 for softwood cuttings. It also contains a fungicide to prevent damping off and whatnot. I swear by it. You don't need much either, and have heard that you can inhibit rooting by using too much. It's a pink powder that I tap a bit onto a paper towel. Pull off leaves on end of stem, dip in powder and tap off excess. Voila.

Kelly V

• cpawl
    13 years ago

I have used both powder and the gel and I have had much better luck with the gel.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention that K-L-N is made by Dyna-Gro and it's a liquid that you can mix with water to mist of water plants or cuttings.

Mike

• kukka
    13 years ago

I wanted to buy some rooting gel, but couldn't find any here in Finland. I was told that it is intended for professional use only, because it can be detrimental to health if used improperly, like pesticides. Our local garden center only carried stuff that is made of sea-weed-extracts called Neudofix.

• peanut01
    13 years ago

I use the powder. It is called Rootone.

-David

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

The jury is out for me on that one...I've used the powder Rootone I think? Honestly, I can't tell if it works better or worse when I do use it. I've rooted cuttings with and w/out Rooting hormones and I don't see any big difference...I've rotted cuttings both ways. So its really hard for me to tell if its working. For me, I think it truly depends on the hoya cuttings...weather and temps that makes the most difference whether it roots or not.

I've always wanted to try Clonex but its SO expensive for such a small container.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

/Kelly I have no advice on this matter, but I just wanted to say: I'm with you!

I'm always trying out new compounds, but I haven't found a pattern, so sometimes I think I might as well not bother. But, I always have it on hand, so I do anyway...

• rennfl
    13 years ago

I've used Rootone as well, and I've used nothing. I don't know why, but I usually don't have a problem with rooting cuttings. Winter or summertime. Maybe it's because I haven't tried anything that is hard to root at this point?

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I've used a rooting gel by Dyna Gro with good results. I dip a q tip in the gel and spread it on the stem. Sometimes I am sooo tempted to just dip the stem in the gel, but that would contaminate the gel, potentially. (If I need more gel, I get a new q tip.) My square leaf rooted pretty quickly with this stuff, kerrii showed roots almost immediately, and I forget what else I used it for. I don't use it for everything. Just stuff that I am anxious to get rooted quickly. Well, kerrii was the experiment. Also, it had a super heavy stem that looked more like a tree branch than any hoya stem I'd seen up to that point, so at the time, I thought it might need the extra help. I don't remember the rooting gel being terribly expensive. I think it has a really generic name, like Root Gel :) But it's definitely made by Dyna Gro.

• Stevo Dale
    7 years ago

Kelly do I just get vitamin b from pharmacy ?? Im totally new too regards stevo

• Klnco
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a single carnosa cutting that I dipped in rooting powder 2 weeks ago, I took the plant out to check it and it had very tiny white root bumps on it but nothing substantial. I reapplied some rooting hormone to it and re planted. Does anyone know if it will it make a difference? Or was that a bad idea?

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

It won't hurt the plant. As long as the powder/liquid/gel does not touch the leaves, all is okay.

Just an FYI, I don't use rooting hormone anymore UNLESS I am having great trouble rooting a certain plant. Most of mine have rooted on their own within 3-10 days.

Another FYI...you can make a really cheap and effective rooting hormone using aspirin or honey. And both have desirable properties to them (antifungal/antibacterial/stress reducing).

Recipe for honey rooting hormone:

2 cups water

1 tablespoon honey

Boil water and add honey. Let cool. Once cooled, dip cutting in solution. Place in potting mix.

Recipe for aspirin water:

1 or 2 - 250mg. UNCOATED aspirin pills (you can use 2, if just 1 does not seem to be working)

1 gallon water

Boil water and cool until it is warm enough to touch (don't let it get completely cool, warmth helps pill dissolve)

Place warm water in 1 gallon jug with lid. Add pill(s), put lid on and shake!

I also use aspirin water on sulking plants and cuttings. Seems to help them feel better.

• Klnco
    7 years ago

I wonder what it is about aspirin that inhibits root growth. Hmm. Yeah all my pubicalyx have little roots sprouting but this carnosa isn't doing it for some reason. Thanks for the recipes!

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Aspirin doesn't inhibit root growth...it encorages it! And it is because salicylic acid is found in willow bark. It is thought salicylic acid triggers a plant's natural defenses and boosts growth.

More info:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/aspirin-for-plant-growth.htm

• Klnco
    7 years ago

Oops, wrong choice of word there haha sorry. Just curious, If I root a hoya in sphagnum moss is it a big deal that I can't get all the moss tangled out of the roots when I pot it up?

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Just get as much as you can off. I soak mine in tepid water for about 5-10 minutes. Helps detach and loosen the moss!

• Kim
    7 years ago

I use a product called Tappin' Roots and I love it. It is a kelp and willow extract, i give it to my hoyas at 1/4 strength. Usually as a foliar feeding, sometimes with waterings. They love it!

And I just recently discovered the joys of rooting in Long fiber spahgnum after someone on here suggested it for curtisii. That one is always tricky for me to root, but it rooted inside of 2 weeks in that! Next time, I will soak in water before picking out the moss, but it wasn't bad. Just, wear gloves if you have cuts on your hands and be careful with the dry stuff to not breathe it in, especially if you have a respiratory infection. It is EXTREMELY rare, but it is possible to get a fungal infection, have heard of this happening to the occasional carnivorous plant grower, but they handle the stuff all the time.

What else would be a good candidate for this stuff? I am currently rooting treubiana, glabra, sp AD19, lobbii, and estrellaensis.

• Lisa McEachern
    7 years ago

Is it important for the rooting hormone to have an anti fungal in it? I haven't used rooting hormone yet but I might if I decide to buy some cuttings.

• Kim
    7 years ago

I have never worried about that. I use cinnamon if I am worried about fungus, but Aurorawa warned me about getting some sulfur powder or something for powder mildew ln my H. darwinii, need to get that this weekend.

Sponsored