Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard Water Spots

Posted by tigerdawn 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 18:11

I have hard water and it builds up on the leaves of my plants. Is there a safe way to remove it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard Water Spots

Once it's on them, it can be TOUGH to get off. Species with tender leaves are subject to damage if it's caked on enough to require some scrubbing. I use a paper towel dipped in white vinegar and it seems to take spots off in most cases. But I've gotten plants from the local university where they are under a mister that mists them several times a day and it can be brutal getting that long-term build-up off.

I use RO water in my spray bottles, but even better (if you have really hard water) would be to use distilled. You can still add some VF-11 or fertilizer to the water, but I wouldn't add any SuperThrive since it's pure minerals. I used to add it to my spray bottles and they would eventually become encrusted, whereas this has never happened with VF-11.

Denise in Omaha

o
RE: Hard Water Spots

I've used milk before, which I read somewhere was good, but there's still some gentle rubbing involved. People say lemon or apple cider vinegar solutions also work. Maybe even aloe juice works - I use it as a hair clarifier.

I spray my plants with RO water now, but I believe I stopped seeing spots after I started spraying them periodically with soapy water. I do it to stay ahead of the game with pests, but it has the side benefit of shiny clean leaves. I didn't scrub them - but they do get pretty drenched. Idk that I'd advise doing that all the time if you don't have any pests though. I'm trying to minimize the use of detergents on my own body and it seems like it would adversely affect natural plant balances too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here