Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lightning96

Hoya australis flowers --- can you help me ID? ssp. australis or

lightning96
12 years ago

This was my first hoya from just a short 12 months ago, so I am thrilled by the flowers!!!! ... now I'm just wondering about the variety. I bought it as Hoya australis ssp. australis, but looked on www.myhoyas.com and I think that the flowers look much more like Hoya australis ssp. tenuipes. I'd love to hear all of your thoughts. If you need leaf pics let me know.

Comments (12)

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Was reading the myhoyas.com site and it sounds like the answer is going to be in the leaves! Says australis ssp australis has pubescent leaves and australis ssp tenuipes has smooth leaves.

Beautiful flowers! Feel free to post leaf and plant photos! I love looking at pictures!

Kelly

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Its absolutely Beautiful!! I'm no expert when it comes to Iding most hoyas...I do have the 'fuzzy leaf' australis and I thought I read here that mine is H. australis ssp. australis( I think it used to be called H. keysii) I think the tenuipes has the smooth leaves? I will let others that have more experience chime in. I just wanted to comment how pretty the blooms are...Congrats! I'm still waiting for mine to bloom :o(...thanks for the picture!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I feel from what I can see of the leaves it looks like australis ssp. tenuipes.The flowers are one my favorites.I look forward for mine to flower.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I agree with Kelly's assessment that it is tenuipes. According to CB, the main differences are:

Hoya australis subsp. australis has smaller leaves, which are covered on both sides with "fuzz."

Hoya australis subsp. tenuipes has larger shiny, completely bald leaves.

Hoya australis subsp. australis flowers in autumn in US, when it condescends to bloom at all, which is rarely.

Hoya australis subsp. tenuipes blooms from very early spring until very early summer in the US and it blooms profusely.

The original article is below. Watch out, it's a bit peppery! ^_^

Here is a link that might be useful: Australis ssp. australis vs Australis ssp. tenuipes

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Edit: I guess we don't know about your leaves yet, so I guess I was just agreeing with Kelly about the distinguishing characteristics, not the verdict. >_

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Lovely! What kind of light do you grow it in?

Lisa

• lightning96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The leaves are smooth, I definitely would not say that they are fuzzy. I will post a pic as soon as I have a chance! It is growing in an east window that receives several good hours of bright morning sun. I am leaning towards Hoya australis ssp. tenuipes based on other photos online that I have seen, but still not 100% sure.

• lightning96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are pics of the leaves:

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Yup...looks like tenuipes to me...smooth leaves.

Here's mine that I believe is the H. australis ssp. australis with the fuzzy leaves...
    {{gwi:945304}}

• lightning96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, those pictures definitely contrast with each other. The ssp. australis really is fuzzy! I guess my hoya is ssp. tenuipes after all. Interesting!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

It may be different than you were expecting, but at least you have the one that blooms often! ^_^

• lightning96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

greedyghost: Yes, you are right! And thanks for posting the link above, too. After reading that I also thought that mine is Hoya australis ssp. tenuipes, the link was very clear about the difference.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville