Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okie_deb

A message from David to group,,,

okie_deb
12 years ago

I got an email from David Elliot yesterday and he asked that I let everyone know why he has not been here in the forum lately. His Mother and his grandmother have passed away recently. :(

Their passing has left a huge void in his life and he is trying to deal with this and learn what life will be without them. He has not been on his pc and has no desire to be he said.

I had approached him about some Hoya's and he said he is going to take 2012 off to let his plants grow. That through trades and such and his generous hand when cutting,,,his 6 ft. plants have been reduced to 2 ft. on some. So he is giving his plants a break as well as himself.

I wanted to pass this along to the group for him. I know as well as he did that the group would after a while wonder what happened to him.

I sure hope he will be able to soon shake the "funk" as he called it! It will help him to come here in group and escape and be around friends when he is ready.

Take care all and I wish I didn't have to post such bad news for ya'll!,,,Debbie

Comments (9)

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Deb..please send David our best...we truly miss him!!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks for letting all of us know Deb...

We certainly wish him the best. Losing people you love is very difficult and hopefully one day soon when he is ready we will see him and all his beautiful hoyas. I'm SO sorry for his loss.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

I'm very sorry for him, I know exactly what this feeling is, I lost my mom last year and never recovered from this loss. But time helps a little!

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Thank you Debbie for letting us know. I know how close David was to his grandmother and it must be a terribly hard transition when the loss includes his mother as well.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I definitely have been missing David and wondering when he'd show up this spring, so I'm glad you checked in with him, Deb. Thank you for letting us know.

I think he's doing the right thing, both for himself and his plants. He's been through a lot over the last few years. Hope he knows even though we can't help him, we're thinking of him. :\

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He hopes to get out into his greenhouse at some point and get all his Hoyas moved outside. He just can't make himself yet.
    I told him through the bad times in my life my plants were my best friend. My thoughts would get lost while tending them. When I was finished I felt better. He agreed his plants will most likely be a help in his healing process.,,,Debbie

PS: GG I sent you an email a couple days ago. Did you get it?

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Deb. Yep, I sure did. :) I'll give you a call when I have some breathing room!

Well put re. the plants. You know, depression/loss is so immobilizing. I've been through months where even brushing my teeth felt like the equivalent of cracking the solution to prejudice. But when you make it just one level above that, being surrounded by quiet lovely lifeforms that don't ask for much is the best place to just... exist and work and heal.

Honestly, even though I can explain "why Hoyas" with a simple innocent story, the answer to "why this many Hoyas" is that I was going through the worst part of my life... and spontaneously took on hundreds of species overnight. And I'm much better now.

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your right GG! Most people don't understand why we have so many or feel the need to have more! But in some cases a jump in our collections happened because of a milestone in our life. (Or it's Spring and we have been cut off from buying and all we have seen are shades of brown and tan outside all winter and crave GREEN! haha.)
    I'll look forward to your call GG!,,,Debbie :)

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Thank you, Deb for the message!

I was wondering why he hasn't been around lately, too. He and his family are in my thoughts. It's truly awful losing anyone close to you. I agree with GG and that David's doing the right thing.

I, too, agree that gardening, indoors or out, is extremely theraputic for the body and soul. Winter puts me in a funk anyways, but now I feel more and more optimistic and positive about this year ahead. :)

You're in our thoughts, David!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored