Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Retusa

Posted by luckylittlebug (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 18:49

It's a long story that I just tried to post (from my phone) but failed, so I will just keep it short this time & ask if anyone has any personal/successful experience with rooting H. retusa. I would love some help! I received a large plant last week that was in the mail for too long and all of the stems were rotted at the soil level so I had to take cuttings, half of which (out of about 20 or so) have died already (the ones in Northern exposure died as opposed to two drier pots in Western exposure, of which about half have died)...I just received another very long & healthy cutting (by surprise) in the mail today & I really, really hope I can at least root this one! I'm guessing a chunky/airy mix, barely moist, with humidity? Or maybe I should try semi-hydro for the first time? I ordered some Seaweed extract today, just for the general care of my other hoyas...would that help? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Retusa

I rooted retusa in semi-hydro. I just stuck it in the hydroton and it rooted as uneventfully as the other Hoyas it was grouped with.

I did think that since it was so small semi-hydro was best, but I don't think it's necessary. It is pretty sensitive to drought when it's young, though, so you will want to be watchful.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate mail experience. Hope this round goes smoothly. I do think the seaweed extract would help. Renee was talking about how her son did a rooting experiment with it (link here).

o

I also rooted retusa in S/H last summer and searching my memory I think it took to it and rooted quite quickly. This one I left in S/H and it has grown exceptionally well over the past year.

Renee

o

I root it in pure coarse perlite under very bright lights. Roots fine, but grows very slowly for me. I feed constantly with Dyna Gro, alternating once in a while with things like fish or compost tea. Seaweed I use only occasionally, usually as a foliar feed. I let it get dry between waterings, and keep them in small-ish pots.

H. retusa is really slow for me; maybe its our cool foggy climate, but I just think it's slow.

o

• Posted by geosdee Zone 8 FL Panhandle (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 21:04

Hey David,

I have to say I don't find this slow at all. I have one I have had about 3 years and is about 3 ft long minus cuttings I have taken. Guess it really likes the Florida heat and humidity. I find it dries out real easy in the house during the winter.

Dee

o

I can root this one just fine but keeping it alive longer than 6 or 7 months, no luck.I am losing my last attempt with this one.

o

I found it rooted easily. I used a cup (no drainage holes) filled halfway with lightly moistened perlite and covered this with another clear plastic cup and taped them closed. I set it on a seed mat for bottom heat. I've used this method with all my hoyas and haven't lost a cutting.

My parent plant grew infuriatingly slow the first year. I transplanted it into a large conch shell stuffed with coir fiber and it really took off. It's probably one of my faster growing hoyas now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here