Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_49

help a newby

John.49
12 years ago

Guys, this is John in Largo, FL already hooked. Can you tell me some of the ones with larger leaves and also varigated ones. I am still learning the names and I want to order more different ones. I trust you guys and know that you will tell me the ones to get started with. I have six of the more common ones. Thanks for your help. Gone from teaching to hoyas wow what a difference. I love gardening and have many plants.

John

Comments (9)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Hi John,

large leaf

rigida macrophylla
    clandestina
    latifolia
    polystachya
    surigaoensis
    pentaphlebia
    sp. 97005
    loyceandrewsiana
    tjadasmalangensis

I guess a relevant question is, are you looking for dinner plate sized leaves or just generally showy largeish leaves, like, say, callistophylla?

Idk if I can help you much on variegation, since that's not my cup of tea. There are so many species that have variegated forms, from multiflora to pachyclada, but most of them aren't that common to collection yet. Every year there are new exciting additions! Personally in this category I like.

variegated

variegated macrophylla
    incrassata Eclipse
    kerrii Chariot's Choice
    verticillata albomarginate

I think that variegated australis is pretty, too, although I don't own it.

• John.49
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Large showy leaves, I also like the small leaves. I have seen some pictures where the leaves look like the are reddish and green. I just love this plant.
    Thanks so much, I have never know a more helpful group. Glad I found this forum.
    Thanks again

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey John & Welcome,

I believe one of the Hoyas w/ leaves that'll redden w/ more sun would be Obscura, nice, handsome leaves.

Personally, I've go a several different Kerriis (the big, heart shaped leaves) & had for years an Obovata, handsome round leaves & just loved it, quietly elegant, I need to get more myself.

What a lovely compliment you give us all. We DO try to be a friendly helpful Hoya-crazed group ;>)

• rennfl
    12 years ago

For me, merrilli has gorgeous leaves. Not the biggest (at least what I have gotten so far), but very pretty, especially as I've got it in a good amount of light, and it has a reddish blush to the leaves, mature and new ones.

obscura is gorgeous when it has the redness to the leaves. Also, I found that it blooms on a very small plant, mine was probably only about 6 inches when it bloomed the first time.

Happy hunting for plants.

Renee

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Many many Hoyas show red color on new leaves and/or when they are exposed to bright light. Living in Florida, you will be treated to particularly beautiful coloring. Of the plants I mentioned above, you will definitely want surigaoensis and variegated macrophylla, if you love red.

lambii would be another with fairly large beautiful leaves. I also really like the leaves on nervosa - they are just a large medium, but their thickness and bright color makes them extraordinarily showy. Almost as if they are made of opaque green glass.

Redwise, subcalva and wibergiae both have largish leaves, which show beautiful color. Also, Joni has a sp. 910307 with very lovely largish leaves that color in almost any light. In the smaller leaf bracket, I particularly enjoy the showy display of paziae, which has a perpetual crest of new crimson leaves. After you've been growing for a while, you should also consider waymaniae which can be a little more difficult but has very showy leaves with the most beautiful red colors. Oh, and sigillatis obviously! The reddest Hoya there is. The flavidas also have very special red coloring.

I'll try to write down more this weekend when I'm playing with my plants, but really, we're talking about 50-60% of Hoyas in moderate lighting conditions and maybe 70-80% in high light conditions. The non-reddening plants are in the minority. It's just that many of the photographs are taken by people growing in gentler lighting conditions.

• John.49
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much Greedyghost, believe me I am writing all these down. I am a true collector, my yard and lanai are full of all types plants, but always more room. Hoyas now have a place in my heart. Any others let me know. Really appreciated.
    John

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I agree with all the suggestions...Lots to choose from.

H. australis 'lisa' like GG mentioned. You have both variegated and red leaves(on new growths) on the same plant.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Awesome picture, Pug. It looks like you spilled Koolaid on your plant or something.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks GG!! I only wish the red leaves would last longer :o(

Sponsored