Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

First Cuttings Of The Year

moonwolf_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

So today, I received my first cuttings of the year: a box of cuttings from GG! She sent me Pink Silver, Red Buttons, bella, paziae (aka Iris Marie), cv. Mathilde, and rotundiflora. The newbies of the bunch are paziae and rotundiflora. To my surprise, the bella cutting had small budding peduncles on it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll have blooms. :-).

Thank you, GG!!!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (7)

• teisa
    11 years ago

Congratulations Brad!!! That sounds like a great assortment of Hoyas!! I know you must be grinning from ear to ear!!! GG is a wonderful Hoya Angel.
    -Teisa

• teisa
    11 years ago

Congratulations Brad!!! That sounds like a great assortment of Hoyas!! I know you must be grinning from ear to ear!!! GG is a wonderful Hoya Angel.
    -Teisa

• Klea
    11 years ago

That's great, Brad! Nice collection of hoyas. The rotundiflora was on my list this year too, as I lost a cutting of it this winter. It's so nice when a box of new cuttings arrive - the thrill of opening it up to see what's inside, and then enjoying preparing the mix and potting them up. Ah, spring is such a great time of year!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Glad they arrived alright. The cutting I gave you is from a plant I received from TG as paziae in 2010.

CN was kind enough to forward me an article on the history of all this name confusion, so I think I understand it a little better now.

Paziae is not the same as Iris Marie, but it may or may not be in circulation. Based on what I've read, this plant is Iris Marie, or at the very least it is not Hoya paziae. Pretty much everyone is in agreement about that.

This is what it looks like in bloom:

From what I understand, the true paziae (as published by DK in 1990 from Schlechter's unpublished H. eugeniodes*) was never bouncing around. Somewhat recently, a plant collected in the Philippines bloomed and is thought to resemble the original paziae strongly enough that it could be one and the same. It looks like this:

Source: Rare-Hoyas

So... I guess if your plant looks like mine above, call it Iris Marie. If you are attached to the name paziae, then at least get your hands on this other collection?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone!

GG, I'm glad you brought that up. I will call the cutting you sent me Iris Marie since the foliage resembles that of the first picture.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Hehehe. That's good. And sorry if I was unclear, but that first picture IS the exact plant you have. That's a photo of my mother plant, when it was just a cutting. :P

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol I like the name Iris Marie better than paziae anyways :P. How awesome is that is the mother plant in your photo :-). I always thought this was such a pretty Hoya and now I have it, thanks to you. How is the fragrance on this one?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH