Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new hoya? Pics

Posted by mel_10 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 19:58

Hello everyone,
I was wandering around the grocery store today, which I probably should not have been :), when I saw this little plant. I believe it is a hoya, the tag only says houseplant, but I am not for sure on which particular one it is. I was hoping some of you wonderful people could help with an ID.
100_0750

The leaves are in pairs and alternate direction on stem...if that makes sense :)
100_0751

The leaves are small and appear to be only fuzzy on the bottom.
100_0752

Here is a close up. None of the leaves exhibit any speckling.
100_0753

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Mel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new hoya? Pics

Hi Mel,

Well, that is very Hoya-like. How big are the leaves?

Denise in Omaha

o

Denise
The largest leaf is the one in the above pic with the quarter. I would say about 1 in wide and 1 in long (maybe a little longer). The leaves are on the thicker side, more succulent than say a carnosa leaf. They also come to a point at the tip.

Mel

o

Nice plant. I think you actually have a lipstick plant- aeschynanthus . Never-the-less if that's what it is, it's still a beautiful plant and will flower probably red! Google lipstick plant to see some awesome images and compare your leaves. I love lipstick plants!
Kyle

o

Both Hoyas and Aeschynanthus have opposite leaves and look very similar but I also think you probably have an Aeschynanthus vs a Hoya. I own only one Aeschynanthus and that is because at the time I though it might be a Hoya so I took a chance, still a nice plant either way.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeschynanthus

o

Not positive...but I also think its a Lipstick plant. I had one very similar to yours...Two years ago I accidentally left it outside during a freeze...got down to 25 degrees that night, needless to say it eventually died :o(

Beautiful plant and if it turns out to be a lipstick plant I'm sure you will love it as much. Good luck!

This was taken two years ago...

o

Thanks everyone! I'm a little sad it is not a hoya, but the lipstick plant has it's own charms. I hope mine turns out as pretty as Pug's!!

Mel

o

I have a few aeschynanthus. They're lovely and not nearly as temperamental as columneas. And I've also done the is-this-a-Hoya when looking at them in a store, even though I know PERFECTLY WELL that they exist.

Grow it as you would a violet. Prune above the node every 2 nodes to encourage branching and keep it from getting too leggy. This also invites more blooms. You can stick the trimmed bits back into the pot and they root very easily.

o

Thanks for the advice GG. I am excited to try this new plant, though I'm sure the husband will not be too happy to see another plant added to my collection :)

Mel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here