Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Hoya Kerri Leaves curling?? and other ???

jojosplants
13 years ago

Hi,

I got this Hoya about a year ago. Most of the new growth is very thin leaves, and some curl. Am I not watering it often enough? It is in it's original soil, and I know it's not that great! I am planning to re-pot it tonight.

Also,

Can anyone tell me if it is considered variegated? The new growth has really pretty speckles and interesting color.

{{gwi:945840}}

{{gwi:945842}}

{{gwi:945843}}

{{gwi:945844}}

{{gwi:945845}}

{{gwi:945846}}

{{gwi:945847}}

Thanks,

JoJo

Thanks!

JoJo

Comments (5)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Oooo, JoJo, I love the silver on your kerrii! That's a clone I don't have. Where did you get it?? The slight curling isn't unusual. They'll probably flatten out as they age and thicken.

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Jojo...I love your Kerrii...its beautiful! Thanks Denise for letting us know this is not unusual. My regular(boring all green) Kerrii does the same thing on some of the leaves. I'm glad its not just on mine.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

That big silver leaf is gorgeous!
    I think that your plant might want more light as Hoya kerrii is one of those that grows very compact in the light and then turns into an unruly monster when grown in the shade. Your plant does have leaves that are nice and close together so you must be growing it fairly bright? I have several Hoyas that have developed leaves that are not quite the typical form you would see and I suspect light and extra fertilizer are the causes. Some plants are just used to growing under more stress in nature (more light,less water) so when they get pampered they can change appearance.

Mike

• Denise
    13 years ago

I'm not so sure that kerrii adheres to what we think of as logic about distance between leaf nodes. My old standard kerrii grows on the top shelf of my GH, getting more sun that almost anything else in the GH and it still tends to ramble and have a fair distance between leaf nodes. Yet I grow the hairy kerrii and veined kerrii, and both grew very compact... that is until I put the veined clone up on the top shelf, and now it has a stem with a longer distance between leaf nodes! It defies logic. I plan to cut back my standard kerrii this spring and move it to a lower shelf to experiment, and I kind of like how nice and green the others stay (rather than washed out...) when grown in slightly shadier conditions.

Denise in Omaha

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Thank you for the help and your kind words!

Denise,
    I got this from a local green house that only sells Cactus and Succulents.

It only had one or two little specks when I got it, so I was real surprised to see all the color show up.

I'm glad to know I'm not doing anything wrong as far as the leaf curl.

Nancy,
    Hello! So yours does this too.. Maybe it's the intense sun we share.. ;-)
    This was the main hoya I had to have, I love anything heart shaped!

Hi Mike,
    it is possible it needs more light. Right now the plant room is being remodeled, and plants get moved around alot!
    Plus I've been so busy I have a bad habit of moving them to a table in the center of the room to water, and forget to put them back where they go. It's about 10'x10' , has a small east window and huge south window. So it's a pretty bright room.

This one is not pampered . lol.. far from it. That's why I was worried about the leaf curl. I only feed them once every few months and very weak dose.

Thanks again everyone!
    I really appreciate the help!
    JoJo

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville