Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves and light

Posted by luvidaho_2010 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 20:07

I was watering my houseplants today and noticed the difference in the color of the leaves on my H. obovata 'Silver Spot'.
One gets very bright light, it lives very close to an East window. It is in bright light for about 3 hours, direct sun for part of that time. The splash on the leaves is pink colored.
The other one gets no direct light and is hanging approximately 8 feet from the same East window. The splash is more green. I realize that those that are more experienced growing hoyas will not be surprised by this difference. I just thought it was kind of cool.
Both plants.
H. obovata 'Silver Spot'

Less light, both leaves from the same plant.
H. obovata 'Silver Spot', Low light
H. obovata ''Silver Spot', Low light
Bright light leaf.
H. obovata 'Silver Spot', High light
I re-sized the darn pictures in photobucket twice and they still copied huge! Sorry, I guess that is what I get for thinking I had it figured out. LOL
Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves and light

Leaves do look especially lush when they are that deep green but that's not what you want if you are looking for blooms. It's interesting to see the differences that light levels can make, the colours that can develop.
The leaves on your plant are pretty impressive. This is one Hoya I don't have because I am afraid to take on any more of these large vigorous species, just not enough room.

Mike

o
RE: Leaves and light

Great photographs, Tami. I really enjoyed seeing the differences between your two plants. It's true, it's not a surprise, but it's a very beautiful effect to look at. Both are attractive. I too find it fun to grow the same plant in two different spaces and enjoy the different types of beauty that develop. I just wish there was some way of asking the plants if they feel miffed when they get less light than they were evolved to handle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here