Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

Hoya Cinnamomifolia?

tammypie
10 years ago

I had this hoya for about 4 years now, it's just blooming for me.

I thought H Cinnamomifolia had green-ish blossoms. Mine are yellow. Can anyone tell by the leaves if I have the right hoya?

Thanks, TammyPie

Comments (11)

• goddess9
    10 years ago

It doesnt look like that Hoya has the right identification. The blooms in question are normally a garish lime green and a deep reddish.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

I can't tell for sure, but it's probably a pottsii. As goddess says, definitely not cinnamomifolia.

The leaves of these two species are definitely very similar and you won't be the first person to receive the wrong one. Pretty blooms though!

• Paphia
    10 years ago

Leaves and the flowers reminds me hoya pottsii...

• vermonthoyas
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of cinnamomifolia. I agree that your Hoya is probably a pottsii. Still a great bloom - congratulations!

• Jimmy
    10 years ago

Hi...I was wondering if you ordered this hoya from Accents for home and garden.I ordered H Cinnamomifolia from them.i wonder if i ended up with a pottsii as well! Jimmy here is a link to the site with photos..

Here is a link that might be useful: accents for home and garden

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Their picture definitely is NOT H. cinnamomifolia so chances are pretty high that you will not get the one you want :o(

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Correct, if you received the plant in the Accents photo, that is not a cinnamomifolia.

Unfortunately there are more vendors selling Hoyas labeled incorrectly (usually out of ignorance) than there are selling accurately identified specimens.

Even within the inner circle of reputable Hoya sources, there are a lot of mistakes made and perpetuated, as the genus Hoya is less well documented and studied than many other collected plants.

Just so you know, pottsii has a lot of range, and can vary significantly both in terms of leaf and flower color. And I personally prefer it to cinnamomifolia. But that's just me. ;)

• Jimmy
    10 years ago

Thanks guys...guess I have a pottsii!lol...His written discription is missleading.It's having a growth spurt though!here is a pic

• Jimmy
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of the leaves...pottsii?

This post was edited by Vine_Master on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 23:01

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

More than likely? Definitely NOT Cinnamomifolia,lol...

Nice and healthy looking though, Good size too, Congrats!!
    I also prefer Pottsi to Cinnamomifolia....though the bloom colors on Cinnamomifolia is very unique.

• Jimmy
    10 years ago

OK..cool...thanks!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions