Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green971

how many varieties of EA hoyas are out there?

green971
18 years ago

Has anyone compiled a list of how many Exotic Angel hoyas are out and about? I am curious because I have recently found several at our local hardware store after spending hundreds or dollars buying from online vendors, ebay, and terribly expensive greenhouses. So far I have found/heard of the following:

hoya shepherdii

hoya kentiana/wayetti

hoya lacuanosa

hoya multiflora

hoya curtsii (I am desperate to find this one!)

hoya carnosa

I supose there are others, and perhaps it is better if I don't know what they are. Today I made 3 trips to home depot (plant receiving person calls me to let me know when new shipments arrive) and wasted tons of time waiting for new plants to be ready to hit the floor. I realize that my problem may be beyond serious. The trips were a bust this time - did find a very pretty pilea and dischidia that I figured I better buy just to justify all of the time and gas.....heee, heee.

DH doesn't know about all of this, and kids were well bribed with McDonalds to not tell on me, but I just can't seem to stop, and if I can get them without waiting and no shipping charges, it is just so nice to have that instant gratification. :0 Not that I can find many more places to put a nice new plant, but that always seems to work itself out somehow. :)

Thanks for the input,

Sara

Comments (14)

• Lesli
    18 years ago

You must have been reading my mind, I had thought about starting the same type thread! (I made a 60 mile (one way)
    trip looking for D. ruscifolia) But imagine my shock to find two baskets of H. curtisii!!!! I had given up on that one EVER making it to my neck of the woods!

The only problem with this type of list is the fact that EA has 99% of their Hoyas mislabeled!
    This year I have spotted:
    Hoya compacta (rope Hoya)
    Hoya DS-70 (tsangii)
    Hoya lacunosa
    Hoya curtisii (tagged Hoya stripes????)
    Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess' (variegation in the center
    of leaves)
    Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen' (variegated on the outside)

I think that's all so far... I got over it and quit obsessing.... THEN found multiple curtisii which was main reason I'd go hunting...

• User
    18 years ago

O Geee Lesli, I wish I'd known, I would have happily shared Curtisii some w/ ya, mine are small, but have had them for a few yrs. now. They've been really growing, no muss, no fuss, do equally well in little hanging pots & very nicely mounted on bark too which I did for about a year. Pretty, vigorous little growers.

Back on point, I personally avoid EA Hoyas, I've had wierd results after switching out of the their mix & 'cause I'm tried of their mislabeling, etc. So I can't really say which EAs are around here, but I'll pay more attention to it now, to report back if I do see 'em.

• langlin
    18 years ago

from Green971:
    Has anyone compiled a list of how many Exotic Angel hoyas are out and about? I am curious because I have recently found several at our local hardware store after spending hundreds or dollars buying from online vendors, ebay, and terribly expensive greenhouses. So far I have found/heard of the following:
    hoya shepherdii
    hoya kentiana/wayetti
    hoya lacuanosa
    hoya multiflora
    hoya curtsii (I am desperate to find this one!)
    hoya carnosa
    From Lesli:
    This year I have spotted:
    Hoya compacta (rope Hoya)
    Hoya DS-70 (tsangii)
    Hoya lacunosa
    Hoya curtisii (tagged Hoya stripes????)
    Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess' (variegation in the center
    of leaves)
    Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen' (variegated on the outside)
    And I add:
    H. Brevialata
    -Leon

• tamixwp
    18 years ago

I bought a Hoya Sulawesi yesterday at our Home Depot. I also have a Bilobata not on your list that I got from there.

Tami

• green971
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all of the feedback, and help compiling a list. I know a lot of people have mixed views on Exotic Angel plants, but I have some that I have had for years with nice healthy growth, flowering, etc. and haven't had any problems. Some of the baskets are just huge, and a much better value than buying just a cutting or rooted cutting/plant.
    Sara

• langlin
    18 years ago

Hi Sara, I think this was a great idea to make a list, I just bought three new types today in Laurel Maryland at Home Depot that are EA plants and labled funny but I have had, like you, great luck wthe EA plants. I bought today, Hoya rope, a varigated compacta; and two NOID's labled "hoya green leaf" and "Hoya mini wax plant". I wish we could come up with a way to have your list of EA plants with pictures to see what each looks like.

-Leon

• nikkicasarez
    16 years ago

I just got 2 they were miss labled and I've been to 6 different targets trying to find the rope hoya I passed up the first time I saw it!!!!:0( I'll never do that again next time I like one im buying it so I won't have to search the world trying to find it lol! I went to EA web page they have a list but only have about 10 on that so I have no idea how meany if anyone finds that rope hoya please buy it i'll pay for it and to have it shipped that will save me some $$$ on gas so I don't have to search anymore....but it does give something to do with my time.

• User
    16 years ago

Hi Nikki,

You might try to post this on a separate new thread, you'd likely get more responss, as this is rather an older thread that's fallen inactive.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

I bought Hoya polyneura this summer. I guess there is Hoya linealis, I would love to get.
    Jan

• gabro14
    16 years ago

I saw a big EA pot of H. polyneura this summer, but it was looking kinda sad, so I passed it up. I have a small plant of it from some cuttings I got, and it's doing great so far. I have a small pot of linearis, but I would KILL for a big EA pot of it! And I'm still searching for one of those speckled lacunosas that EA makes - I heard it made its rounds on the East Coast, but I haven't seen one yet. I always get fooled when I see those variegated lipstick plants in the EA pots - cause it looks very similar to the speckled lacunosa.

Gabi

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Green
    Where are you live? I know there are 2 curtsii's currently at the lowes in Jefferson City Missouri.
    shanna

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Leon -
    I also bought an EA hoya, called HOYA "mini waxleaf " and underneith that it said Hoya bella. It is actually a Lacunosa.

Sara, I have also seen Fishtail (EA's name), which is Polyneura.

Gabi and Sara - I also have seen Polyneura and curtsii and they both looked a little under the weather so I didn't buy either. Unfortunately I dont have a cutting of either one.

Shanna

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Shanna, this post is from April of 2006 (about a year and 1/2 ago!), so I doubt Sara is still looking for curtisii. Also, Leon hasn't been on here in a LONG time.

That's why it's usually better to just start a new thread, so that people don't get confused and think the thread is recent!

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi, thanks for the clear up. I didn't even look at the date.