Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Hello, ... and I am a Dischidia-holic.

greedygh0st
13 years ago

As some of you know, I have been counting the days until St. Denise made good on her offer to take me to the University of Nebraska greenhouse to see the collection of Dischidia left there by Tanya Livshultz.

Well, my good people, the day has arrived. Imagine a greenhouse in which the Dischidia have made themselves an uproarious menace, twining themselves into a thick bell-strewn carpet of vines. Imagine that the golden-hearted manager told you you could take cuttings to your heart's content. This was my day, friends!

I cannot (yet) tell you what any of these plants are as the labels were frequently faded, so please direct your questions to real Dischidia experts. I am a total n00b.

... and here's my haul, safely home.

I also got an awesome trade w/Denise out of it, as if this weren't enough. Thanks for everything, Denise and Tom. You are Queen and King of my heart!

Comments (5)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Wow that looks like a crazy living carpet of Dischidias. Next time I think you should TAKE ME WITH YOU. LoL
    The fourth photo of that Dischidia bengalensis looks like in impenetrable barrier. Now I know why this species is sometimes called weedy.

I love that sun kissed imbricate species with all the blooms, what a beauty.

What a great experience, thanks for posting GG.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

That's awesome GG, sounds like you had a wonderful time! That was so generous of Denise, sounds exactly like something she would do. Thanks for the photos. They're all SO pretty! I only grow one kind of dischidia (watermelon)leaves...but I love it!

• Denise
    13 years ago

It was a GREAT way to cheer up on a rainy day! We've had way too many gloomy days here the last couple of weeks. Seems like the sun teases us once in awhile, but then it's back to gloomy skies. Well, yesterday it decided to rain all day, which is ok. If it's going to be gloomy, it might as well be raining!

But there's nothing that turns gloom to glorious like bringing home cuttings and looking at collections of interesting plants! Tom, the GH manager, was telling us he got a fantastic collection of pitcher plants from someone back east who literally GAVE them to him, AND spent over $130 of their own money to ship them express mail!! They were stunning. As was a massive sun dew, a few orchids, his collection of Gesnariads and the succulent and cacti collection. I want his job!!

It was great meeting GG and now (he-he) I have someone local who I can share my crazy Hoya passion with! Thanks for coming with me, GG. And when I get a few minutes, I'll sit down and try to put names to the photos from my previous visits that I documented. I know #2 is D. rosea, which I didn't see when I was there! (Dang!)

Denise in Omaha

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Glad you guys had fun!

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

/Mike LOL I was trying to convince Denise she should take a cutting of that bengalensis on the basis of its adorable flowers, but then when I tried to find them again I couldn't in that giant tangle. It's really pale, almost yellow, and the blooms are the same color, but I tend to like that sort of thing - the teensy little bloom that's easy to miss. I'd like to see how this guy is grown potted. I guess I'll find out if it roots for me.

/Pug Tom, the greenhouse manager is not a big fan of Dischidias but he said the ovata is the only one he likes enough to grow himself. I couldn't agree more that it was an amazingly nice thing for Denise to do!

/Denise I really regret that I was too dizzy with all the Dischidias to collect myself enough to take pictures of some of the other plants there. I am having dreams about that sundew collection. I think that's what heaven will look like - a forest of sundew. I had no idea there were such beautiful pitcher plants, either.

I'll check to see if I took a cutting of the rosea. If so, I can pass half onto you. That was the one Tom was growing mounted on a huge slab on the left side.

I'm rooting the cuttings in kind of a crazy way, based off of your impression that they root better in a group (perhaps because of minimal rooting enzyme production). I just laid them all out together in a group flat filled with coir chunks, with a lid and bottom heat. Anyway, do you think this sounds completely batty? A big mistake? I know some people use this method with perlite.

At some point I'll have to repot them individually, but I'll feel more confident if they have gotten a bit established first. Maybe I can order some slabs in the meantime and try my hand at a couple of mountings. I don't know if I have the courage, but when I flip those imbricates over and see their little crab leg roots, I feel like I owe it to them.

Sponsored