Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltarello

Purpureo-fusca

saltarello
15 years ago

I have purpureo-fusca cutting from the Violet Barn, and when you look this particular hoya up it's blooms are different in so many pictures, I mean they really vary from light pinks to dark purples, and Denise I saw the picture of yours in the Gallery section, and on Violet Barns picture of this Hoya looks completely different. I am wondering how reliable the violet barn is, and I wonder which was is the correct purpureo-fusca? How would you know?

Comments (21)

• Denise
    15 years ago

Hi Salt... You have to know what vendors to trust. I got my first purpureo-fusca from Ted Green (a major authority in Hoyas) though I lost it. Then I got a rooted cutting from the (can not be mentioned) Hawaiian vendor, who I also trust. (She and Ted are relatively "tight" BTW...) I used to think that p-f was the same as some of the pubicalyx species, but it's NOT. It's a big-leaved beauty. Mine is taking off like gangbusters this spring. Can you post a pic of yours?

Denise in Omaha

• sandy731
    15 years ago

Can you post a picture of yours as well Denise? I was thinking about ordering that one.

Sandy

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Yes, there's confusion btwn these two. I got one locally at my Indoor Gardening Society, purportedly a P-f but I think it's just a form of Pubicalyx. Which form I can't guess 'cause it's never bloomed yet.

• Denise
    15 years ago

Here's mine...

These are the two leaves it came with (seems like they're never pristine when they come from where they grow them outside...) I have several new leaves developing, so I'm anxious to get a photo when it has full-sized, pristine leaves. But notice that it also came with an old peduncle - maybe I'll actually see a flower before long!

Denise in Omaha

• saltarello
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh no Denise, mine looks nothing like that, here's mine, but I don't have a good camera, just a camera phone, so bear with the pics. I don't know if mine is just pubicalyx or what but the VB has a pic of pur-fus and silver pink and the bloom looks almost exactly the same...

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Yet, mine looks more like this (as a Pubicalyx), from the leaf shape & the (sometime occurring) speckle).

Do contrast this to Denise's current pic (Hi Denise); a wider, broader leaf w/ this particularly distinct veining. Handsome too!

• laura1
    15 years ago

Oh, Denise! I recently (1 month) made a purchase from TG. All the cuttings look healthy and happy but the Purpureo-fusca started looking bad right away! It seems to me that the cutting had not hardened off enough. I have not given up completely but it doesn't look good. Will TG replace it?

• sandy731
    15 years ago

Thanks Denise...it has very nice looking leaves.

saltarella...your plant looks a lot like all my pubicalyx but are the leaves really pointed at the ends or rounded? It's difficult to tell. Pubicalyx leaves are very pointed.

Sandy

• saltarello
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sandy, I think it may be a pubicalyx too, the leaves are pointy, I like the plant a lot, I think that it's beautiful, but I'd like to know what it is, Violet barn still has the picture of it on their website, actually now that I went back to their website I notice they call it "purpureo-fusca silver-pink"

• Denise
    15 years ago

It's pubicalyx 'Pink Silver' for sure. I have an old Hoya article (from the late '70s) that shows a photo of what they call Hoya purpureo-fusca 'Silver Pink'. The leaves are different from both pubicalyx 'Pink Silver' and my purpureo-fusca, but the flowers look exactly like my pubicalyx 'Pink Silver.' The leaves in the photo are shaped like archboliana's, not as large, lighter green, and look succulent. I guess taxonomy has always been an issue with Hoyas!

Denise in Omaha

• Denise
    15 years ago

I thought I would scan the magazine article I referred to so I could share it with whoever might want it - scanned it into Word Perfect (because it didn't give me the choice of MS Word), but it turned into a whopping 91 MB file! Anyone know how to compress it down to a reasonable size without losing text? I'm no dummy, but scanning is something I haven't done much except with just photos...

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Denise you might want to try scanning at a lower resolution. Also look for options like black and white and perhaps saving as a text file instead of and image file.

Mike

• Denise
    15 years ago

Thanks, Mike - I'll try messing around with the scanner options.

Denise in Omaha

• saltarello
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for helping me figure this out-I was really curious because I wanted to know what the bloom might look like. The leaves are nice and unique though, I don't have any hoyas like this, so again thanks everyone!

• ks_girl
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of my purpureo-fusca leaf, they're a lot differant than the pubicalyx. Logee's still has them miss named.

• haxuan
    15 years ago

saltarello, you can see a bloom of my "so-called" purpureo-fusca in my previous post here.

Xuan

• gunnell
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm having problems with figuring out which Hoya I've got. I bought it as a H. glabra but the flowers doesn't match at all neither in colour or lenght of blooming. They look abit like H. vitellina but then the leafs don't match. The fragrance of the flowers are nearly none and with no nectar. The Hoya has been flowering for two days only.

It would be great if anyone here could take a look and figure out whether it's a H. purpureo-fusca or not. My blogg is in Swedish I'm afraid but the pics talk for themselves. I've got more pics if that is needed.

I'll be greatful for all the help I can get on this issue!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My blogg

• gunnell
    15 years ago

Thank you very much, Mike! As for what I've read about H. glabra they bloom for just a few hours. But I guess you could be right anyway and what you write seems logical.

Gunnell

• pcranerhyne_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I had one of these plants but lost it in a fire before it bloomed. It came from The Violet Barn where I have always had wonderful service and beautiful plants. Their African Violets can't be beat for the huge variety and their reliability. Keep in mind that pics on the internet will always differ between monitors and colors change with light exposures. The hoyas I've had in the past have been very successful (all from Violet Barn) but they are mostly slow growing and take a while to produce mature blooms.

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Dear group...H. publicalyx has been sold for decades as purpureo-fusca...not only the Violet Barn, but also Logee's and dozens of other nurseries. The real purpureo-fusca is difficult to find...though there was one on Ebay a few days ago...the real deal. I ordered mine from Logee's years ago...and quickly realized it was publicalyx Pink Silver. A wonderful forum member sent me cuttings of the real purpureo-fusca...bless you Rev. Russell!!

Gunnell....there are various clones of Glabra, and they vary in bloom colour and leaf size. Yours is definitely Glabra...and the blooms on mine last for two days...no scent that I could detect. Ted Green sells the one with the largest leaves...8 X 12 inches. Fondly, Patrick

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions