Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Vine from below

greedygh0st
13 years ago

As I was puttering about today, I discovered this.

It's a vine, coming out through the bottom of my Hoya vitiensis pot. (This is a pot with very open drainage, basically a grid.) Actually, it had come out and twined into the eggcrating the plants stand on, within the flat. At the moment, I don't really keep the flat filled with water or anything like that, it's just there for drainage.

I've had this plant since summer of last year and as you can tell it died off a bunch during rooting and never did anything since. Then apparently it decided to grow upside down.

Has this happened to you? I guess I'll repot and rearrange it to go out the top.

Comments (9)

• cpawl
    13 years ago

GG,When I had to re-root one of my acuta hoyas this winter,I had this happen.Its the first time this has happened.Not to sure what I'm going to do,most likely I will just leave it and see what happens.If it grows it grows,If the vine dies it dies LOL.
    I think when you go to remove your plant from the pot its going to be hard to get that vine out, without damaging the vine.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Weirdness!

I would probably just weigh the vine down on top of the potting mix when it is long enough and root it that way. I agree with Cindy that it will be very hard to repot and you might end up setting the plant back by breaking the new growth or stressing the roots. That and I know if it were me I would break the vine without question so best to avoid that situation all together.

Mike

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Definitely weird! I have had vines come up from the soil/medium, but not through the bottom of the pot. I might consider cutting the grid off of the bottom of the pot, gently removing the whole plant and seeing if I could redirect the vine upwards and repot it...if that makes sense...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Kelly

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

/Cindy: I'm glad someone else has had this happen to them!

I'm so torn. On one hand, I'm pretty confident I could delicately rearrange the vine, since it's super thin and flexible and the hole it's coming through is generous.

On the other hand, your warnings put me in mind of how new vines seem to die off at the least provocation, sometimes. Since there's nothing else to this plant but a little stub, maybe I want to be more generous with this weird little vine. If I wait for it to mature, it will be less likely to die back. Maybe then I can cut the pot apart as Kelly advises, since it will then be too big for the holes.

/Mike: I'm assuming you're suggesting that after it was rooted at the top, I'd cut it off where it's coming out of the bottom and perhaps loop it along the surface to further establish itself?

• Denise
    13 years ago

That's really interesting, GG! I'd probably let it grow until the vine was viable to root on it's own, but that would mean (if I understand it) not moving it for some time, which is a pain. Our plants can be a challenge sometimes!

Denise in Omaha

• peanut01
    13 years ago

From the looks of it, I would say that is where I would expect most of the future growth to occur. The top of the plant doesn't look like it has another growth point. You can always operate and cut the pot away from the plant. If you want to pull it out of the pot be sure to before those forming leaves get too big.

-David

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Hmmmm...I've always wondered if it mattered if a cutting were rooted "upside down". Might THIS be what happens?

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

/David I don't think it would have any problem putting a vine out from that node if it wanted to. Although you're right, it could stand to have more of the dead matter trimmed off (kind of embarrassing! ^_^), my Hoyas have always stubbornly produced new vines around such stumps without appearing nonplussed.

/Kelly That's a pretty good hypothesis, actually. I'd like to say I've never made a directional mistake. I am certainly AWARE of what I am supposed to do. And, as you can see, Ted's label IS facing up. However, is it possible that I might have taken it off and put it back on wrong? Maaaaaybeeeee! >_> Is it possible that he might also be human? I cannot say for sure.

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

/Denise Luckily, the pot is sitting on tiny feet, so the vine sneaks right through the gap uncrushed, but I'm glad you brought that up because (A) I should probably quit moving it around to take pictures and (B) I might have to keep an eye on how it does as it thickens.

Sponsored