Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just gotHoyas what now?

Posted by scootsybootsy none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 23:12

This is my first time ever gardening or having a house plant. I bought 3 little hoyas in the small brown plastic pots from Home depot. I've been trying to find what steps to take now but I can't seem to find much. All I've have found, which could be wrong, is to let them adjust to their new enviorment before repotting. They are Crimson queen hoyas is that matters. Any help would be appreciated I'm feeling in over my head at the moment.

This post was edited by scootsybootsy on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 23:14

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just gotHoyas what now?

Awww!

Well, first off, the kind of Hoya you have (carnosa) is tough, so relax.

The big rules of Hoyas are as follows:

1. Well-draining soil. A typical "good mix" is half potting soil, half orchid bark. Let the soil dry out before you water again. Stick your finger into the soil an inch or so to make sure it's dry enough. After a while, you'll know, just by the weight of the pot, that it needs water, but use your finger until you get it.

2. High light. A good location is right on an east-facing windowsill. It will still grow if you don't give it enough light, but it won't bloom. Blooms take at least year, if the plant is mature and given excellent light.

3. Don't overpot. Most Hoyas are epiphytic, which means they grow in trees and get their nutrition from the air, rain, and pockets of debris, versus a vast bed of soil. So they don't need big pots relative to their size. When their roots fill their pots, you can go up one pot size, but a lot of time the plants will look under-potted, relative to their size, compared to other plants. (That doesn't mean they need to be root-bound to bloom - all they need to bloom is lots of sun.)

Anyway, congrats on your new plants and thanks for stopping by to say hi.

o
RE: Just gotHoyas what now?

Thanks so much for the detailed response! This is really helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here