Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teisa_gw

April Blooms

teisa
9 years ago

My Hoya Rope is in bloom. Although very common.... I still enjoy its beauty.

Comments (21)

• teisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know its common. But it made my day to see this bloom finally open today!!

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Looking good! I love the look of umbels where some flowers are still closed while others are open.

I sniffed one at our local Gardening Society meeting a couple of weeks ago (so did Pirate_Girl!), and it smelled very nice while fresh. They start smelling a little funky as the flowers are dying - not badly, but just a bit more stale. PG, what did you think of the smell?

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Teisa, your bloom is beautiful!! I love the large and very pretty blooms of Carnosas...congrats!!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

So beautiful. I don't have a compacta anymore, but the flowers always look cuddlier than other varieties of carnosa. I think the petals curl more. Or maybe it's just that cotton candy pink...

• teisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I just love the big, hairy, pink blooms of the Carnosas! They seem pet-able to me!

I hope someone adds more pics!!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

I was lazy and it is late, so I wasn't up for taking many photos, but I did want to take some snaps of the yellow flowers I was so excited about blooming for the first time this year. And I took some pictures of some pretty buds at the same time.

Hoya odetteae
    Smells like honeysuckle!

Hoya odetteae

Hoya aff. parasitica Lao 2

This is from the other side - new buds coming in - I love it when they do this

Hoya sp. PNG 417
    I couldn't get a good shot of this - it's prettier in person. I'm still excited about these buds, tho, b/c it's a first-time bloomer.

Hoya lacunosa
    I'm not sure which lacunosa this is b/c I have all of my lacunosas in a flat together and I didn't bother to trace the vine back to its source. I just thought it looked cute

Hoya cystiantha
    This Hoya blooms for me all the time, but it's impossible to take good pictures of it, imo. Even when you're just looking at the buds in person, it's hard to tell whether they are opening up or closing up and they never really flare that wide. I've been watching these, so I know they're on their way out, but they looked just the same when they were new lol. I do like this plant the fragrance is quite lovely

AND NOW... totally off-topic...
    My sister and I bought my mom some more chickens for her birthday and I kidnapped a couple of them (temporarily) and am bringing them up for the first few weeks. So here are some pics. :)

Quail Antwerp Belgian Bantam aka "Riku"
    2 days old

Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam aka "Sora"
    2 days old

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3
    This is actually what they look like today. Notice how much bigger Sora is than Riku (almost 3x) - that's b/c Riku was sick for a long time, so s/he fell behind, but is catching up now.

This post was edited by greedyghost on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 10:40

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Beautiful Hoya photos GG, but the chick photos are beyond cute - I love them!!

Doug

• teisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh GG, the chicks are adorable!!! I love seeing baby chicks and ducks at Easter time!! Too bad they grow so quickly!! My grandmother used to raise chickens and its a very fond memory of mine. TFS!

The bloom and bud photos are beautiful. The yellows are very pretty!

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures of Hoya blooms and buds GG!! The chicks are very cute!! I want one lol. Too adorable!!

Thanks for sharing!!

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Cuteness overdose!

Back to hoyas, how do you take pics where only a part of the shot is in focus and the rest is very artfully blurry? Lighting looks great, as so does this out-of-focus effect.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

The artful blurry is called bokeh and I'm not directly responsible for it. It's because I'm using a macro lense, so only a small range is in focus. It can make getting a shot with enough of the umbel in focus kind of awkward at times, but I'm like you and I like the effect. Makes me look more professional than I am. xP

Thanks everyone for being so nice about my OT chicks. I'm like a doting mother hen.

I took some pictures of the buds open today, but it's late so I'll post them tomorrow.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Here are the pictures of the buds opened up. I finally traced the lacunosa bud back to its label and it's Tove as I thought. This should be the "beginner lacunosa" because it's so brawny and big-bloomed.

I really like the melon-pinky-orange color along the border of the sp. PNGSV 417, too. Those turned out really pretty. The leaves on this plant are also lovely, kind of spade-shaped and thin. It likes to reach out and climb so the light is always shining through its leaves and making them look like stained glass.

Hoya sp. PNGSV 417

Hoya lacunosa Tove (SRQ 3026)

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Ohhhh...just gorgeous GG!! Thanks for posting!

H. lucardenasiana

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Another angle...

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Boy, that lucardenasiana is drippy! And the corona is huge compared to corolla!

I was licking my brevialata blooms the other day. (Yeah, I do that! haha)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

When I first saw lucardenasiana's unique leaves in person I thought, "surely the blooms on this one are going to be a disappointment." But they weren't, were they? I love the saturated raspberry color.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

These opened today:

Hoya bilobata
    I put a second picture in there with a size reference, since it's so tiny

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Wow...Gorgeous GG!! You take some amazing pictures, you're quite talented :o) Sooo very pretty!!!

• kellyknits
    9 years ago

GG, LOVE the chicks! What camera are you using these days? GORGEOUS pics!

Kelly

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

KELLY!!! So good to hear from you again. I was getting tired of posting pictures of your plants behind your back. :P

I'm using a Canon EOS 1D Mark IV and I end up taking most of the Hoya pictures with my EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. Thanks for the compliments, but it's 99.9% the camera. I can take a picture of a pig feeder and it looks like burnished steel heaped with sun dappled grain and dusted with magic.

The chicks are going through their "ugly phase" now, but I guess I must love them b/c I still think they're adorable looking like budget feather-dusters.

This post was edited by greedyghost on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 11:49

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Hi Kelly!!!! SO very nice to see you :o)...we've missed you, Welcome back!!

Really looking forward to seeing some pictures of your beautiful Hoyas soon...

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions