Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swampguy54

Where to get hoyas

swampguy54
13 years ago

I have just started growing hoyas. I am really tired of my orchids and find hoyas most intriging.

I haven't been able to find any plants locally. Where is a good place to get hoyas?

Do folks here send cuttings?

Thanks, Tim

Comments (28)

• pepeuve
    13 years ago

aleyagarden

Also botanova

Here is a link that might be useful: aleyagarden

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Hello and welcome to GardenWeb and the Hoya Forum SwampGuy(Tim). Alot of us do indeed swap cuttings from our Hoya's. Sometimes even rooted plants are swapped.There are also quite a few venders that offer Hoya's . I like Gardino's and recommend them for well rooted and healthy Hoya's. Another is SRQ Hoya's ....motto there is always a rooted Hoya and her plants are nice and healthy as well.There are quite a few venders on EBay as well.

I would also suggest that sometime in the near future that you attach an e-mail address to your profile if you intend to do any swapping. It's the only way members on the forums can contact you to set up a possible trade. Also as a suggestion you may wish to offer an exchange of orchids for cuttings of Hoya's to get started on the exchange portion of the forum here.

Regina

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi
    I know some of you have gotten good cuttings from aleyagarden but myself and a few others have been very disappointed with how he sends his cuttings.My last shipment from him was a box of yellowing vines with no leaves left on.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Cindy,

Was that recently? How long did it take to ship? My last two shipments were very timely and in great shape, even though the last was even inspected by customs.

Kelly

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Kelly I received the order about a month ago.I have ordered from a few different Thai vendors and this was the first time I have gotten only one cutting out of 10 that might make it.He sent the box with no peanuts or packing so the cuttings just banged around the box.All he used is one piece of paper loosely put in the bottom of the box and a piece of plastic.Another person has had a similar experience right after mine.The box only took 2 weeks to get to me which is how it always takes.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I think if you are new to Hoyas that it is not a good idea to order from places like Thailand, the cuttings are usually stressed and easily lost. There are many American sources for Hoyas now.

SRQ Hoyas
    Asiatica
    Green Plant Research
    Gardino's

Cindy I have a box of cuttings arriving today from Aleya's garden and am hoping that everything is still green. My last order was fine and all together (3 orders) I have only lost one cutting of Hoya darwinii which is a tough one to propitiate anyways. I have started to go with the EMS shipping because it is faster. My package was mailed on the 4th and will arrive today after three days in customs.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

My opinion is completely biased, so take that for what it's worth...

But I emphatically recommend Green Plant Research (for Hoyas and Orchids)!

Josh

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

I agree with all of the places Mike listed, plus you can often get nice hoyas on ebay as well!

Cindy, what an unfortunate experience. I received mine about 2 weeks ago. Will be interesting to hear from Mike how his arrive.

Kelly

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Truth me told, my recent order from Green Plant Research was exceptional....very timely delivery, cuttings arrived fully hydrated and they already appear to be rooted as they're putting out new growth. I may make Mr. Green my first choice in buying future hoyas as everything went so smoothly....plus the man cracks me up!! I ordered and received H. sp. Kast, two H. platycaulis and H. blashernaezii and one I can't mention. I'll stick with Ebay for the common ones! Patrick

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Could someone who has received Hoyas from green plant research please post some pictures or direct me to links of photos posted. I've been to his website and seen all that he has listed amd find it quite impressive, but in the past heard and seen some negatives about him.IE Id's not always being correct. From all that the rest of you have said I would really like to be able do some business in the future with this person...... Thanks!

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mike
    I do hope your cuttings are great but mine were only in transit 2 days longer and I truly feel that some sort of protection should be used. My 10 cuttings came in a large box so they moved about inside the box.I have ordered from many different vendors and they have always used something in the box to protect the cuttings. Pulse the guy could care less about how they were shipped. I asked him if something could be worked out to make us both happy in the end.His answer was not my problem how they arrive.
    This is just my feels on the guy and if your happy with him great but I don't trust him.He got me to order from his own site in stead of eBay.He said that he would give bigger cuttings this way.I even had ebay send me an email after telling me it was not aloud and that I should be careful.
    Cindy

• AndrewH
    13 years ago

Most of my hoyas have come from Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

My cuttings arrived just before I left for work and they will be soaking until I get home tonight. The only cutting that does not look like it will make it was Hoya elliptica. Most look good/great and the one that I expected to travel the worst was Hoya praetorii but it should be fine after a good soak.
    Still I would not reccomend for a Hoya newbie because without very high humidity for rooting etc the cuttiings would be difficult to root.

Cindy I am sorry you lost your cuttings. I sometimes order even when I know that the outcome might be less than perfect because I want that special plant. Sometimes it pays off but there is always the chance that it will be a disaster and you never know until you open up the box.

Mike

• lesliercowger
    13 years ago

Tim,
    If you will contact me I have been known to share. If you go to "my page" you may email me from there.

Leslie

• cmwren
    13 years ago

*lol* I'm with Andrew H. It's rather amazing what lovely plants you can find at the big discount stores. Usually it's nothing fancy (although you never know what you might find), but I feel that this is actually perfect for branching out into unfamiliar plants... If the plant is hardy enough to survive the care (or lack thereof) it gets (or doesn't) at the store, I have a fighting chance of keeping it alive at home!

Picked up my first hoya at the Big W at the end of March; it was mis-labeled as a pothos. Wrote about it over at the House Plant Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: What the hoya?!

• Denise
    13 years ago

Tim,

I just got a box of rooting cuttings (with a nice start on the roots in coir chips wrapped in orchid moss) from the eBay vendor Plumerndr. They were all large, and all but elliptica (what's with this one, Mike??) were in excellent condition. Elliptica's new growth was dieing back, but the old growth looks find, so I think it will make it (fingers crossed...) At any rate, I am very impressed with this vendor and will buy from them again. I got a HUGE rooting cutting of sigillatis from him that seems to be actively growing for far less than a tiny 6" rooted cutting I got two years ago from another vendor.

I also agree that Ted Green is a great resource for cuttings. LadyGS, I think Ted's about one of the most knowledgeable Hoya people I know, and Patrick is right - he's a hoot to commuicate with! And Josh, I bet YOU get some great deals from Ted, huh? **wink, wink**

Denise in Omaha

13 years ago

Ha! I wish! ;)
    I get lots of e-mail from Ted...but not many plants!
    I *have* had the pleasure of visiting his wonderful house and yard, though.
    It's a jungle, at the foot of a mountain ridge...banana trees on one side, vines
    and star-fruit on the other. Rain, morning and evening, and mosquitos thicker than you'd believe!

Josh

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

I've purchased from Ted several times over the past 3 years and have never been disappointed! Never had a problem with mislabeling.

Kelly

13 years ago

I'm glad to hear it!

I, too, have read certain complaints over Ted's identifications....
    However, those complaints seemed to originate from one or two sources primarily.

If there have been errors, they weren't intentional...nor have they been pervasive.

FYI, Ted just returned from Micronesia...
    I'm not sure if he found anything there (and I wouldn't want to let the cat out
    of the bag if he has!), but keep your eyes peeled!

Josh

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for easing my fears of the mislabling. I do appreciate the time it took for each of you to express your concerns and thoughts. Like Josh said most of the complaints seem to originate from one or two sources primarily. And in most cases errors were unintentional.

My next question is are the plants from Ted actual established plants or rooted cuttings or cuttings? Or will it all depend on what he has available at the time?

13 years ago

I *think* they're cuttings...

If they have roots, and soil, they have to wait for the Ag inspection - which can take a
    considerable amount of time. Most plants would be dead by then.

In any event, I find the cuttings root easily.

Josh

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Regina,

Josh is right. TG ONLY sends cuttings. But they are pretty ones!!!! :)

Carolyn

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Well....I don't have a problem with receiving and rooting cuttings, what I don't understand is how one vendor can ship rooted plants with two day fedex quareenteed delivery from the Island and another needs a phylo.....

And for the price of some of those cuttings they had better be pretty!!!!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

The price includes shipping but there is the cost for an import permit if you need one and phytosanitary inspection. Because Hawaii is an American state you may not need an import permit. There are definitely some very desirable and hard to get species available from Mr. Green.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Nope, we don't need the import permit. :) Just that $35 minimum order!!! Woohoo!!!

Carolyn

13 years ago

Ladygreensleeves,
    are you saying that there is a vendor shipping plants rooted in soil from Hawaii?

Josh

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Nope, not anymore. Retired when the laws changed.

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Josh,
    yep....thats what I'm saying.....they are rooted plants with a two day fedex delivery. I've not followed thru on the order yet, fiqured if I do I want to get more than just one plant for the cost of shipping if you know what I mean.....

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!