Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with placement

Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 0:43

I feel like others may know how I feel... I'm running out of room. So I'm wondering, what hoyas do you have that grow well and bloom in lower light situations? I'm not talking seriously low light, but perhaps off to the side of a south window? I'm considering putting a shelf on the wall to the right of my window. So it will be sort of diagonal to the window. I have a short bookshelf set up in that corner already, and pubicalyx 'Splash' is there right now, but I can't tell if it likes it there or not. I'm just trying to figure out which ones definitely want to be right up against the window, and which ones are okay a bit further away. I know I saw people mention they're growing hoyas in north windows that actually still bloom. Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with placement

Quinn,

You can grow about any of them back a bit from a bright window. I grow several in my sunroom, which gets very little direct sun but lots of very bright, reflected light off my close neighbor. (It faces east...) I also grow some in my bedrooms and bathroom with about the same amount of light. They all do well. I'm sure I don't get as many flowers as I would with more sun, but I'm ok with that.

As far as a north window, I've gotten flowers on bella in a north window. I'm sure there are others that will bloom in a north window - I have two Phalenopsis that grow in the same north window and get NO sun at all that bloom profusely for me. I know Phals are the easiest Orchids to bloom, but I figure they surely can't be harder than some of the easier Hoyas, right?

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here