Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

April showers bring May flowers

mdahms1979
11 years ago

There have been quite a number of plants in bloom recently. Orchids, Gesneriand and of course Hoyas.

I was able to take a comparison photo of a nice group of Hoyas, don't mind the lint. I was also hoping to get a group photo of related species including the Hoya obscura, Hoya aff obscura, and Hoya wallinaian but procrastination got in the way. The Hoya aff obscura came from Paul Shirley as Hoya colours. He had not yet flowered the plant when i got a cutting but it appears to be a very robust Hoya obscura, much larger growth and in number of flowers than my other H. obscura.

There are notes of the Hoyas names on the photo if you click it and go to Flickr.

Mike

Comments (46)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Nice little photo, Mike! I just love comparison photographs and I feel inspired by your efforts to take some myself when the opportunity presents itself. I particularly enjoyed the comparison between obscura and aff. obscura. The obscura has really nice coloring - kind of cantaloupey.

They really do seem to drop their flowers at a speed in direct proportion to ones determination to get a useful photograph taken.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks GG. I was a day or two late for the Hoya walliniana blooms and a day or two early to put Hoya sp Estrella Waterfall in there.
    I am going to have to take a closer look at the flower parts of the Hoya obscura and Hoya aff obscura. The coronas seem to be different so I will have to magnify them and also take a look at the pollinia. The aff obscura (Hoya coloura) is by far my favourite of the two.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Did you take any photographs of the entire umbels or entire plants (of obscura & aff. obscura)? It does sound like a nice specimen. I always fell entertained when I end up liking an aff. more than the published/identified plant it is associated with.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have yet to get a photo of the plant or the blooming umbels. I did get around to watering that group of plants that are hanging on the wall together but still no photos. I did however leave the camera set up so if the flowers don't drop off tonight I can try for a photo. There are also several other groups of buds developing on that plant so I can wait a few days and have another chance again.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

LOL "I did get around to watering that group."

Sounds like the way my progress goes most days. Aim for a glorious Hoya project... end up just keeping them alive. ;)

• rennfl
    11 years ago

Love these types of photos from you Mike.

It's been a bumper year for me as well, specially with the 'chids.

Renee

• rennfl
    11 years ago

Mike, I hope you don't mind if I add to your thread. Here are some that have been blooming lately.

Hoya bella

Hoya camphorifolia

Hoya sp. Bicolor - first blooms

Hoya publicalyx, I know I know, but I so love this one.

Hoya obovata

And one for you Mike, Bulbophyllum lasiochilum

Renee

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Congrats on the blooms, Mike and Renee! My plants don't have any signs of blooming yet, but I'm keeping a close eye on fungii.

Renee, your orchid bloom looks very spidery :-). I don't grow orchids and the only ones I have seen are the Moth orchids. They're all gorgeous though! I agree with you about Pink Silver and I keep telling myself I'll see those flowers someday.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renee I don't mind at all. I love seeing everyones photos so please do not hesitate to post them here.
    Of all your photos I am drawn to Hoya camphorifolia, such dainty little flowers. Your Bulbo lasiochilum is very nice and so very different from my dark flowered form. I always find that the blooms of my plant smell like those purple Thrills gums that taste like perfumy artificial grape. My plant has not flowered for a while because I moved it from a pot to a tree fern mount.

I figured I may as well add some more photos. I was visiting my mother for Mothers Day and we took my niece and nephew for a walk in the forest, one of our favourite things to do. These are a few photos I took along the way. Names of the plants are on my Flickr page if you click any of the photos you will be able to go there.

A photo of me being the huge plant nerd I am. I really need to learn to smile in photos, I swear I am not this serious. LOL
    That is Catasetum pileatum that I am holding and is high on my list of favourite plants in my collection.

And a photo of the young male Llama that my mother picked out for her Mother's Day gift. This handsome fellow will be in charge of guarding the miniature sheep and horses from Coyotes and the rest of the animals from other predators.

Mike

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Mike, love your pictures! I miss forest a lot; it's hard for transplanted northern European to live in the tropics... Haven't seen spring in 15 years.
    And a baby lama as mothers day gift sounds great, I should ask for at least another dog next year! Best wishes to your mom! :o)

Aggie

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Aggie. I would say that the mid to late spring is my favourite time to be in the woods. The spring ephemerals are so beautiful blooming while the other plant life is still dormant. The trees are almost all leafed out now though but those miserable mosquitoes have not yet emerged, the best time to get out into the Northern deciduous forest.
    There are five children in my family so our combined buying power means we can get those special gifts when we want to. I can't wait to see how the Llama works out, they are such interesting animals.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Oh I'm so glad you shared these photos with us, Mike. I was just talking about you and your woodlore the other day. I sincerely envy your knowledge of native plantlife. My mom would be pretty jealous of your mom's llama. We have a super guilty "McLeod's Daughters" habit and love the alpaca subplot. She did get a border collie pup though, so still sheep related.

Okay so I have a couple flowers to share, but you'll have to bear with me because the only camera I have available right now is my iPhone.

Hoya paulshirleyii

Please ignore the Starbucks stir stick. It's there to prop the peduncle up above the soil line.

Hoya sp. RCBR-SP-YKL (clone A (EPC-229)

Here you will have to ignore my stubby unfeminine fingers.

And here we are ignoring the horrible scale monster. This poor plant has the worst scale problems and I just really need to dose it. I was hesitant because it originally had two peduncles and lost one after I handled it the first time, so I wanted to let this set bloom before I fooled around with it anymore. So you'd better run now, scale! (Why I didn't swab it away before the picture taking is a mystery to both you and me.) You can see a little bit of leaf here, and I have to say flowers aside, this plant has the prettiest rough dark slender leaves. I really should have photographed them and the loooooooong graceful peduncle. But, of course, I was too panicked about the dying light to think straight and the flowers are already fading this morning.

There isn't much of a fragrance that I could detect, just a faint whiff of something fresh smelling, like one of those "sea breeze" or "cotton balls" candle scents that smells neutral yet pleasant.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks GG. I was lucky to grow up right beside a large tract of provincially protected forest with my mothers wood lot as a seamless extension of the rest of the forest. I spent a great deal of time in that forest as a kid.

Ok not to overshadow that Hoya paulshirleii (still hunting that one down) but I am soooo jealous of your Hoya sp EPC 229. This is such an amazing Hoya, so different in both leaf and flower. When you have time will you consider posting a photo of the leaves for us?

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike. I'll try and get some foliage photos tonight. Even if it didn't have those unusual blooms, it would still be a favorite for its leaves, which are right up my alley. I really like the Hoyas that have gritty camouflaged foliage.

The other remarkable thing about this plant, which you'll see when I take some photos from a step back, is that it sent out two brand new peduncles from nothing, as a relatively young plant (received last August). Although Jack sent a nice generous cutting it experienced some die-back over the winter as we dealt with the scale etc, so it's still quite small. It's tough though. If you remember how long that order took to go through customs, it looked fresh as a daisy when it arrived. That's another reason I love plants with these succulent leathery leaves.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Hoya sp. RCBR-SP-YKL clone A (EPC-229)

Here are the leaves. They are around 3-3.5" long and 0.5" wide.

Hoya sp. RCBR-SP-YKL clone A (EPC-229)

Here is the long peduncle. It's 3" and the other one is 4.5" As you can see, on day 2 the blossoms are already curling up, but this is the first blooming, so they might last longer in future.

Hoya sp. RCBR-SP-YKL clone A (EPC-229)(top) & Hoya parviflora (bottom)

I find the leaves very similar to those of parviflora. Except the EPC-229's foliage is more matte and has more flecking.

Hoya parvifolia

And since we're on the topic of parviflora comparisons here is the parvifolia I just received. These two are often confused because of their similar names, but are obviously quite different.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Holy Hoya Awesomeness. Yeah the leaves remind me of larger versions of Hoya parviflora or even a huskier version of Hoya tsangii.
    Your Hoya parvifoloa is so cute. I wish my plant looked like that, might have to unpot it and try mounting it. Part of me is afraid that any change will result in instant death but I have to do something with it. This is one of the mini Hoyas that I searched forever to find so I can't really afford to loose it.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

It's kind of hard to tell in that photo, but the leaves of EPC-229 and my parviflora (SRQ 3030) have pretty much identical dimensions. You could lay one leaf on top of the other and they would be evenly matched. You must have a collection of parviflora that is a bit smaller leaved. I agree they are reminiscent of tsangii in shape.

I can take no credit for my parvifolia being so dang cute and beautiful. I just bought it that way. Props go to Tropiflora. I was telling Debbie the other day that ever since I received this plant, I've started wanting allllll my Hoyas to look like this. :P

I also searched forever for this plant, and now that I have such a nice little specimen, it's bumped up my mounted plant game. I've really become pretty diligent - maybe I will be win at this after all! But probably too soon to convert my entire collection to mounts. (lmao)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Wow you guys...what an amazing assortment of blooms!! Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! Every single one of them...thanks for posting!

Renee, your Bella is SO pretty with all those blooms, mine is blooming like crazy too, like you I love pubicalyx. Their blooms are large and last a long time, definitely a plus!

Mike, your Catasetum pileatum blooms are truly amazing. I can honestly say I'm not familiar with this plant. I love your Mom's Llama...too cute!

GG, LOVE all those blooms and I especially love the leaves on your Hoya sp. RCBR-SP-YKL clone A (EPC-229). You have some very rare hoyas.

Here's a few of mine that bloomed last month and this month...

H. vanuatuensis

H. finlaysonii

H. DS-70

H. meliflua

H. pachyclada (check out the ants!)

H. wayetii

H. meredithii x crassicaulis

H. elliptica

H. sigillatis

H. sp. square...new name (H. rotunda, I think)?

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Oh wow, Pug. What a magnificent display! Next time I want pictures of your whole plants, too, though, so my mind can be re-boggled with your perfect looking specimens. I enjoy a good boggling from you every once in a while.

So, your sigillatis is amazing again. Whenever I see those blooms there is a 2 second interval wherein I forget any other Hoya exists. :P Honestly, though, how can one even pick a favorite from that lineup? It's like picking a favorite ice cream flavor. Does anyone want to be stuck with even mochi ice cream for the rest of their life?

The square leaf is now rotundiflora. I finally gave in and changed the name in my database... grudgingly! Along with white dragon (celata) and megalantha Taveuni Island (desvoeuxensis)... D:

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Mitzi and GG!!

Lol GG...I knew I royally messed up on the new name for sp. square leaf. Thanks for the correct name. I much preferred the old name, so much easier to remember. Thanks for the nice comments as well.

Yes, I'm SO excited my Sigillatis has bounced back from near the brink of death and actually thriving right now. One I can never take for granted though as I know how this one can take a turn for the worse so quickly with little warning.

One of the rotundiflora buds opened today...not the best picture, it was hard to photograph since it was hanging downward.

• amber_m
    11 years ago

oh my goodness how pretty is that! i love the soft pink around the edges.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Aw I just love these species that give you a period of furry little bells. My sigillatis is doing pretty darn well so far, but I am always a bit wary. Regardless, its still a ways from surprising me with flowers. >_>

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Pug, such a great flowering hoyas! I need to check if Joni has sigillatis, and make a list for DH; he owns me late anniversary gift! :o) Do you keep them all outside in the yard in the Florida heat? My polyneura was struggling on the patio so I moved it under avocado tree, hope it will get better!

Aggie

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

My first hoya blooms! I was so excited when I saw what I thought might be buds. It is a plain old carnosa but to me it is one of my favorites due to the fact it was a gift from my mother-in-law and it is the first hoya that has bloomed for me.
    H. carnosa

Tami

• Klea
    11 years ago

So many beautiful pictures of such beautiful hoya flowers! :)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

GG, I'm so happy for you that your sigillatis is doing well, definitely one that can be temperamental. Those do remind me of little buttons.

Tami, I too love Carnosa blooms...they are SO pretty, large and they last much longer than a lot of other hoya blooms, Congrats!! Beautiful picture.

Thanks Aggie, I DO grow most of my hoyas outside (I bring them in when temps are expected to get cold...some of the hardier ones I leave outside unless frost is expected) others...the more sensitive ones come inside when the temps dip below 50), a handful I bring in when it gets below 60 degrees like Darwinii, bordenii and few others.

I think your polyneura will do just fine under the avocado tree, I have several of my hoyas hanging on my Oak trees and they love it there. My polyneura loves it there too and bloomed for the very first time last year. Good luck with yours...I'm sure you will blooms soon.

Thanks Klea!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pug those are all gorgeous. The colour on Hoya wayettii is so intense, love it!
    Congratulations on keeping your Hoya sigillatis happy because that is one fussy Hoya. My plant just sits there and if it decides to do something it's usually to dry up and drop a leaf. I think I am going to move my Hoya rotundiflora to a better spot where it gets brighter light. I have it far too shaded and it does not grow like I know it can when it's happy.

Tami congratulations on the carnosa flowers.

I have a bunch of Hoyas in bud or bloom at the moment including one that has not bloomed for quite a while. I hope I can make some time to photograph them as I have been very busy with my vegetable garden and helping family members with their gardening. I know I can make the time for another flower comparison photo so ill be able to post that at the least.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

That is really weird about your sigillatis, Mike. I wonder if you just got a weak cutting or something. Mine grows about as fast as rotundiflora does, which is definitely on the more aggressive side of things. I grow them both in coir and on a watering schedule where they dry out pretty well before I get to them again.

Tami, I am enjoying my carnosas very much right now, too. I feel so fancy every time someone walks through my door and gets knocked in the head with a peduncle. Somehow they don't ever seem as impressed by it as I expect, though... xD

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike! I sure hope your sigillatis turns around soon...good luck! GG makes a good point. Hopefully, once it gets going it will take off.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Finlaysonii 'ripple' leaf from Gardino's is putting on a show for me. Most buds I've had since I got this hoya.

• amber_m
    11 years ago

oh my goodness!!! i love that Finlaysonii 'ripple' leaf!!! if it never bloomed i would still be so happy because of the blooms!!! would that be easy for a beginner to care for? i really would like to expand my collection out from my ropes and my carnosas....

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

LOL Pug. I'm pretty sure growing plants this well puts you on some kind of FBI suspicious activity list.

That is such a cool picture.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ Amber. H. finlaysonii is not a fussy Hoya. You should go for it.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Lol...you're too funny GG!! Thanks for the kind compliment, you made me smile :o)

Amber, I agree with GG...this is a non fussy hoya for me and would be great for beginners. Gardino's or Joni (SRQ) should have some available?

• amber_m
    11 years ago

awesome, the next time i get a few dollars to my name im gonna get one... probably not till my birthday in december though...

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a fantastic show of flowers! Are the peduncles mostly on bare vines?

Mike

• amber_m
    11 years ago

another question, how old is your H. finlaysonii puglvr1? it looks really big and beautiful... i just recently purchased some plants through hirts gardens which is through ebay and/or amazon... not only did my plants have mealies and scales but they just seem really small compaired even to the angel hanging baskets at lowes, is it usually that way? or are they usually bigger (more like that size of the baskets at lowes or home depot)?

pertaining to the original thread, im going to be posting some pics on here over the next couple of days, ive got a TON of irises blooming plus lillys that are about to bloom and probably 2 or 3 DOZEN peony bushes about to start blooming... ill have to post some pictures of the ants all over the buds on the peonys, they must be dying waiting for them to open... i actually watched a few ants fighting over a golf ball sized bud earlier...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Yes Mike, you are correct! Most of them are on vines that have NO leaves...reminded me of the Obovata I gave away to a friend, did the same thing, most of the peduncles were on bare vines. But that one didn't have quite as many as this one. Thanks!

Amber, I had to check my notes. It was actually a Christmas gift from my Daughter, I got it Dec. 18 2008...so I've had it for almost 3 1/2 years. It was a 4" pot when I got it.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

WOW Pug what a gorgeous hoya and so many flowers all at once.

Cindy

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thank You Cindy!! This one has a very nice sweet scent, not overly strong like my Lacunosa...

• rennfl
    11 years ago

ohhhh where to start???

Mike, love the pictures, and very very nice Ctsm you've got there. One of my favorite genera.

GG - oh my, you've been holding back lately. I absolutely love love the RCBR - just so different looking to me.

Pug - what can I say all of them are just gorgeous and great pictures. But that whole plant photo of finlaysonii, it is something I aspire to.

Renee

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thank you Renee!

H. nicholsoniae

Check out the unusual colors on a few of this pubicalyx 'rhp'

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

RHP opened this morning...you can see some of the flowers have light and dark purple/pink.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

What a perfect photo to show the mottled color of these flowers. They all have little harlequin faces. :)

I just love this nicholsoniae. As I told you before, it totally redeemed the species for me. The other one I have is not nearly so handsome and the leaves don't turn red as easily. Your plant is over the top handsome in that photo. Such rich thick blood red leaves.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks GG!! Couple of the buds opened this morning too...I do love the reddish leaves on this hoya.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets
More Discussions