Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

A bit of an oddity, ID anyone?

pirate_girl
10 years ago

Hi Folks,

Haven't been here much lately, Happy Spring Everybody!

Look what recently came my way. No ID, but am guessing some kind of H. Carnosa. But the leaves which are sort of convoluted are on the same branch, isn't that strange?

I've seen something (I think a form of Carnosa) called Holliana, could this be that? Reverting back to pre-convoluted?

Difficult to capture & show on camera, let's see:

Again

more

{{gwi:947805}}

I find this so curious!

Comments (12)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    Hi again. Wow, that is something else. The white leaves does resemble H. carnosa (specifically, reminds me of my "Krimson Queen") to me, but as to what is going on with the rest of that branch... I looked up 'Holliana' and your plant has a striking resemblance.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sun, May 19, 13 at 2:32

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Planto,

After seeing your comment, I tried that search & found that similarity also, so strange.

• 123Greta
    10 years ago

I can't help with identification, Karen, but it sure is nice! Thanks for sharing!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    Maybe you've gotten lucky and stumbled across a 'Holliana'

Planto

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, I just saw something like this at WM. I really don't know a thing
    about hoyas but I like them. I guess that's why I only have three. When I
    saw this in the store I thought it has over watered. Now I know. Learn
    something new everyday.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, hi Folks,

On closer inspection, this little branch actually has 3 growing tips, 1 on the all white branch, 1 on that single variegated leaf & the 3rd w/ the Holliana type growth.

Guess I'm going to watch it closely & maybe give it a bit of fertilizer. I'll report back w/ developments, hopefully once Spring kicks in (Summer?)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, hi Folks,

On closer inspection, this little branch actually has 3 growing tips, 1 on the all white branch, 1 on that single variegated leaf & the 3rd w/ the Holliana type growth.

Guess I'm going to watch it closely & maybe give it a bit of fertilizer. I'll report back w/ developments, hopefully once Spring kicks in (Summer?)

• Denise
    10 years ago

Hi Karen,

That is SOOO odd!! I figured holliana was a sport of carnosa, but I've never seen it actually growing FROM a piece of carnosa (and yes, I would agree the all- and almost all-white part is 'KQ'...) I think you have a real oddity there and I would take good care of it!! It will be interesting to see how it grows. Will there be regular 'KQ' growth? Will there be more holliana growth?? Please keep us informed!!

Where did you get it? Was it just the piece of 'KQ' when you got it, or did it already have the holliana growing when you got it? I'm so excited for you!!

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey there Denise,

Been a while, eh?

I've only had this a month or 2, looks same as when I got it. A couple of the growth tips died off after coming my way, but seems to be reviving; there are several growths tips along the Holliana branch, its tip needs to start over.

Got in on the Plant Sale Table at local Indoor Gardening Society. I help man the table so I see the donated plants first thing & I kinda scarfed this up as soon as I saw it.

Just labeled w/ a hand written notation 'var. mini hoya, not easy'. I hope to try & find out who donated it, so I can find out more.

• epi-lover
    10 years ago

Hi Pirate Girl,

I've had albino growth and reversions, come out on my Hoyas a few times in the past as well. A few times, I've been successful in isolating the albino growth or sports. Unfortunately, albino plants must have some green in them in order to survive. We grow tons of bromeliads, here at the greenhouses, and we have sports pop up from our named variegated brom hybrids quite often. The sports are usually about 90% variegated, with a pencil thin line of green down the middle of each leaf, which is just enough green to keep the pups alive. So, when the pups get big enough, we cut them from moma, pot 'em up, and grow them out as novelty broms. We also name each albino sport after the variegated hybrid the sport came from. Something we have realized, is the mostly all white sports, MUST CONSTANTLY HAVE WET FEET. If not, the leaves start turning black, and the sport starts going down hill. I had a mounted Hoya kentiana variegata, who after about five months of being mounted, rooting, and growing, started putting all white growth out. I finally gave it to a friend of mine, who now has it in his and his wifes greenhouse. I just thought I'd share this with you.

• epi-lover
    10 years ago

Hi Pirate Girl,

I've had albino growth and reversions, come out on my Hoyas a few times in the past as well. A few times, I've been successful in isolating the albino growth or sports. Unfortunately, albino plants must have some green in them in order to survive. We grow tons of bromeliads, here at the greenhouses, and we have sports pop up from our named variegated brom hybrids quite often. The sports are usually about 90% variegated, with a pencil thin line of green down the middle of each leaf, which is just enough green to keep the pups alive. So, when the pups get big enough, we cut them from moma, pot 'em up, and grow them out as novelty broms. We also name each albino sport after the variegated hybrid the sport came from. Something we have realized, is the mostly all white sports, MUST CONSTANTLY HAVE WET FEET. If not, the leaves start turning black, and the sport starts going down hill. I had a mounted Hoya kentiana variegata, who after about five months of being mounted, rooting, and growing, started putting all white growth out. I finally gave it to a friend of mine, who now has it in his and his wifes greenhouse. I just thought I'd share this with you.

• epi-lover
    10 years ago

Hi Pirate Girl,

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler