Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blooming again.

Posted by sheilahanne 5 -6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 3:40

I am happy to report my old and slow hoya pubicalyx is about to bring forth its second bloom ever. I am a little frustrated with myself after reading the many forums posts as its seems that my hoya should be huge and well growing after the twenty years that I have had it but it has been slow to perform. What do I need to do? I have repotted it with potting mix suggested. I have given it as much light as my house can give it. ( I think this may ultimately be the problem).Sad in hoya land.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blooming again.

• Posted by Klea 4b (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 19:09

Since it's budding up right now you must have done something right. :) I don't know what advice I can give you if you're giving it as much light as your house allows. Do you use fertilizer?

o

No, i was just watering them. I have kept this plant alive because it came from my family home.My mom had recieved it as a small cutting before she died and I loved the leaves. I only recently even knew what it was or lthat it would bloom.The bug hit me after that. I love it.I moved to a brighter location at the end of last summer. As well I cut it back and gave it something to twine itself around.. I am going to try some fertilizer. What do you suggest? I have another one as well that bloomed after ten years(i am not sure what kind it is though) after doing the same to it..PS I am quite new to the forum- I really have learned a lot from reading. Thanks.

o

Aw, Shelia. You sound so bummed out! I think you can get away with growing your publicalyx in less-than-ideal light conditions. I have all mine growing in north windows and they still bloom. Hoyas are not low light plants, but some are able to work with less.

Repotting a non-performing plant is often all it needs to give it a kick. We repotted my mom's carnosa (which used to bloom, then stopped) last fall and it bloomed this spring on schedule. As far as fertilizer goes, many people here recommend Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro, and it would be perfect for your setup.

I truly believe you will have success! Good luck. :)

o

Have you tried growing under lights? I have all mine under lights except the very largest one which I have trouble fitting under a light system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here