Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering

Posted by cyclonenat (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 6:59

hi my question is as these plants are mostly succulent and our house gets quite damp in winter how often should i water because they will be getting water from the air

when i do water they stay quite damp for a long time any tips would be good,

i was naughty and bought the hoya keysii it has a couple of peduncles too but its dormant at the mo so i cut some stems back they leaves had been knocked off and some were bent so i stuck them all in the pot so hopefully it will be a fuller pot if they grow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering

Nat,

Different species like different amounts of water, so first I'd suggest you study up a bit on the species you're growing. The rule of thumb is the more succulent the leaves, the drier you can let it get. But I never let mine get as dry as my true succulents (I call Hoyas "honorary succulents", and of course I'm not referring at all to the thin-leaved species...) I use the "feel" method - if the top 1/2" of soil feels dry, I water it. So in summer, that may be every couple/few days, and in winter it may be a week or 10 days.

Denise in Omaha

o

You can also stretch out the period between watering more if they aren't actively growing. It's easy to overwater in winter and it takes longer for them to forgive you. If it's one of the more succulent Hoyas and it's not actively growing, I let it get QUITE dry in the winter. Some Hoyas will get considerably angry if you water them too much in the winter, trust me. Particularly if they're not getting a lot of light, as was my case last winter.

As Denise points out, some specific research really is neccessary, although heuristics will help you hobble through.

o

And they also are in locked rooms and are getting poor ventilation

o

If you know that excess moisture is going to be a problem, then you really need to focus on using a porous soil. I don't use any peat in my mixes, just gritty components like orchid bark, Turface, granite, pumice, etc. This way the mix is still well aerated even when saturated. Putting a small fan near your plants may help as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here