Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Carnosa Krinkle 8 - cut back or not?

karyn1
11 years ago

I was given a H. carnosa Krinkle 8 a couple years ago. It looks healthy and has grown quite a bit but it's just a single stem that's about 4' long. If I cut it back will that encourage branching? What about flowering? Should I just leave it be or cut it back? I'd like to see blooms but more then that I'd like a fuller plant.

Comments (9)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Carnosa has a tendency to throw long bare vines, just like the one you describe, that it subsequently festoons with peduncles. I do think there is a benefit in pruning, but if I were you, I would treat the bare vines differently from the vines that grow foliage as they develop. Cut some of the leafy vines back and stick the cuttings in the same pot, but leave the bare vines alone so they have a chance to accomplish their mission. It will happen sooner than you think if you are giving it good light.

Anyway that's just my opinion - you don't have to take it as law. ;P

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's completely covered in foliage, all the way to the tip. If this was a bare vine I wouldn't consider cutting it. Will this encourage branching or am I just going to get another long stem? I've had some that have branched well after trimming and others that haven't. If it doesn't branch I could root the cuttings and put them in the same pot but I'm hoping it will fill out.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Sorry for misunderstanding you, Karyn.

In that case, go for it. Some Hoyas have more of a branching, clustering tendency than others. In general, they just aren't as predictable branchers as, say, Gesneriads. However, pruning does stimulate growth, so if you have a nice long vine you don't mind cutting back it's a good thing to do periodically. Even if you end up with another single vine, you're likely to get a burst of growth from somewhere else as well.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I think that the fastest way to a fuller plant is to take some cuttings and root them in the pot. Many Hoyas will only produce one new growth point from a node behind a cut so you end up right where you started.
    You can also loop a vine up into the pot and cover it with potting mix. You may have to remove some leaves and pin or weigh down the vine until it roots. After rooting simply cut the vine above the roots and you will have a fuller plant.

Mike

• User
    11 years ago

Hi GG,

I'm surprised at your comments. I've never have a Carnosa throw bare vines. Pubicalyxes do it often & my Hydro green Kerri does it ALL the time, but never Carnosa, hum.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Interesting! This is how both of my green carnosas behave. Here is an example picture of one.

• kukka
    11 years ago

I'd cut it back. My krinkle 8 grew lots of new branches near the soil level last year after pruning. Just give it good light, a shower now and then, fertilize, and you'll be golden.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. It's getting cut back today. Looping it didn't work as the stem is too stiff and the leaves are spaced so close together. If it sends out new branches that will be great, otherwise the rooted cuttings will get stuck back in the pot. I should have clarified in my original post that it wasn't a bare stem, my bad.

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

I cut my Krinkle back last summer to root cuttings and it filled out nicely. All of my Carnosa's throw bare stems. They can get ugly as well its hard to leave them alone...but cut back the leafy stems you should have no problems with the plant blooming.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH