Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant arrangements with hoyas

Posted by erik1on1 France (My Page) on
Fri, May 31, 13 at 7:29

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site as a member but use it often to answer my questions about all things plant related.

My question is about using hoyas in plant arrangements. I have a zee zee plant sitting on and old highchair that I would like to repot and incorporate a vine around the base. I have a hoya that I would like to use for this purpose, as the two would look amazing married together.

Has anyone used a hoya in this way? Can't seem to find much on the subject, but both plants based on their care profiles would seem to go well together. Both plants are very healthy and I don't want to cause them any harm. Just wanted to check if it something the experts would recommend.

Many thanks in advance,

Erik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant arrangements with hoyas

Hi Erik,

Don't know that I'm an expert, by any means, but I DO grow both plants & don't know how this will work as they have rather different watering requirements.

ZZ, being succulent-like w/ their water storing stems & bulblets / tubers (down below the soil), they need less frequent watering than Hoyas. They also need less light than Hoyas. Not sure how they'd fare w/ more light & more water.

If you try this, I'd make sure to have the fastest draining mix possible.

o

I think it is possible but she does have a point. The zz plant actually perfeers bright indirect light pirate. therefore it can possibly work. But I would still buy a sharp draining mix

o

Teengardener and Pirate girl,

Thanks a lot for the advice... My ZZ seems to love its bright location very much, as does my Hoya. I water them pretty much on the same schedule, and let them both dry out slightly. They are both in a 1:2:1 of lava gravel, manure based potting soil and sand. The only difference is my ZZ is in a much deeper pot which I'd like to use for their union. Think I'll give it a try and hope for the best.

Many thanks,

Erik

o

I hope the sand is not fine sand, if it is, it may 'cause problems in future.

Well if you are growing them similarly already, then I guess there's not much to lose by trying to combine them.

Good luck w/ it. Maybe post back w/ some pix pls. so we can view & enjoy your results.

o

It woud be interesting to know what Hoya species you plan to grow with your ZZ pant.

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here