Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onca156

Dischidia Pectinoides?

onca156
18 years ago

I just received this cutting. Does anyone know the best way to root this? I have the cutting in orchid bark, but not sure weather to keep this moist or dry, or if I should mist the plant frequently.

Thank you

onca156

Comments (7)

• ooojen
    18 years ago

I've had the best luck rooting Dischidias in damp sphagnum in those clear clamshell containers. Ziploc bags work, too, but you're less apt to disrupt the plant in a rigid container. Keeping the cuttings enclosed keeps the humidity high even when you're not there to mist (saves you some bother, too). Once they get roots established, a shot of dilute fertilizer will help them take off.
    Dischidias are rather small, delicate plants, and standard orchid bark might be a bit coarse for their fine little roots. If you have an extra-fine bark mix, it'd probably work. I've had better results with coconut husk or better yet, sphagnum.
    Enjoy your new plant!

• onca156
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Ooojen for the great info on rooting the dischidia! Do you use this method for other types of dischidia also? I also received cuttings of
    Dischidia hirsuta and Dischidia ruscifolia. Once the pectinoides is rooted, what would you plant it in? Coconut husk?

Thanks
    onca156

• ooojen
    18 years ago

It sounds like you made a great haul!
    Yep, I've rooted several dischidias the same way. If you decide to root yours covered, remember that they'll root fastest in bright light, but they can roast quickly if they're left in direct sun.
    I think ruscifolia is the easiest of the bunch, and it might even water root for you. It's a neat plant!
    My hirsuita is on a piece of wood with a little moss wrapped around it, as I bought it. The previous winter it did ok, but by mid to late winter this year, it died back somewhat, most likely from the dry air. I put a bag over it to keep the humidity up, and that helped. I also have hirsuita 'red leaf', which I got as cuttings. That's still in moss in a plastic container, where it has taken off and even bloomed. I should put it somewhere where it looks nicer, though!
    I think the pectinoides would do well in a coconut husk, or a hanging pot-- whatever you like the look of. I have one Dischidia that's in a coconut husk planter-- it's kind of a cheesy one with bird shapes carved in (think tropical vacation, and my inability to say "no" to a street vendor who's just trying to make a living), but it works perfectly! The shell is dense enough to hang onto the moss I stuffed in it (I drilled a drainage hold through the shell into the husk), and the husk itself is porous enough to hold water. I just dunk the whole thing for 10 or 15 min., let it drip dry, and re-hang it. I started out (gently) pinning the Disch. vines to the husk part with floral pins, and now they've rooted in place. (Because the thing was carved, the harder coating was cut off the outside of husk, and what's left is soft enough for the plant roots to penetrate easily.)
    But anyway--- your pectinoides doesn't have to be in a coconut-- Whatever works for you, and that you like will be fine, as long as it doesn't hold so much water that the substrate stays soggy. If possible, the vines will try to grow UP a hanger, rather than hanging down, so a moss pole, or pot with a little trellis would work, too. I trellised a D. major/rafflesiana, which is fairly similar to pectinoides. I had two pectinoides that I got in snail shells. I took one out and put it in a terrarium, and it started to decline right away. I left the other one in the shell, where it has been for years. Whatever works!
    D. ruscifolia doesn't tend to vine so much, & some sort of hanging pot will show it off best.
    Hope this helps, and--- have fun!

• Cena
    18 years ago

Awesome info, Jen.

I may, someday, try another one of these. I fault vendors who try to 'impress' you with their stuff. The one I bought was potted in a teeny, tiny net pot, and unbeknownst to me, then potted into a 6 inch pot of dirt, without roots or anything aside from the 2 inch net pot. When you buy a plant, and it has a plant hanger, you somehow expect to be able to carry it by that hanger... right? Well, the 6 inch pot of dirt flung itself nearly onto several people, and I felt soooooo stupid. I think I held a grudge against the poor plant, who had nothing to do with it really.

Its an awesome plant, and needs good care. Good luck with it!

• florajilly
    18 years ago

I was given pectinoides by a friend who thought it was a Hoya and wasn't sure about it's care. My friend is a great gardener , she just didn't know about this plant.
    It was in full sun , starving for water , something had eaten most of it , and during the 2 hurricanes which hit our area last Sept. ,it had been removed from it's outdoor hook and tossed under a bush , while the family evacuated !!
    I thought it was a Hoya and was dismayed that I couldn't ID it anywhere on the internet. About 3 months ago , 'a light bulb went on' and I realized the plant could be Dischidia.
    This is the cutest little plant. I love it. I have 3,( which are growing in my usual Hoya mix , a local commercial product from Florida Potting Soils Inc.) . This is a rich, excellent mix, which contains finely mulched and composted pine bark with Florida peat.
    This original plant and it's 2 cuttings are okay , but my 4th dischidia ,a new aquisition ,is an established pectinoides which I purchased south of Palm Beach a couple of months ago. It is growing in orchid bark. I am observing that this is much more satisfactory than what I am using for the Hoyas , so thank goodness I wasn't impulsive (and took it's little plastic basket apart after bringing it home). That would have been a mistake because the roots are well attached to the orchid bark.
    I have all the pectinoides hanging outside on the lattice fence amongst the Hoyas. They receive bright filtered sunlight .The Dischidia in the orchid bark gets watered once or twice daily. It's little vines grow up the hanger as well as hang down.
    For a while ,I was finding aphids regularly on it's new growth. I would pinch the pests off with my fingers , or use Safer's Insecticidal Soap or horticultural oil , with no adverse effects to the plant.
    The next time I go down to this nursery , I'm going to pick up another one. :)

Florajilly

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Having them growing on the fence sounds really great, Florajilly! I bet with your Florida humidity, you could grow these in a much coarser mix than we could in the heat-the-house-from-Sept-through-May Northland (or the southwest, for that matter)!

• onca156
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you everyone for the great info and experiences with this plant! I have enjoyed reading them and learning the does and don'ts of growing and rooting the pectinoides. Would really like to save the cutting, they are extremely difficult to find here in Canada.

Sponsored