Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

Your post, Pepeuve...

Denise
12 years ago

Pepeuve,

Your post about your yellowing leaves looked a little "funky" to me and when I tried to post a reply, it did nothing when I hit the "preview message" button. So here's my post on the same subject...

My otherwise healthy fungii's leaves started turning yellow last year. They don't drop, they simply turn a dark yellow. Newer leaces from the same vines seem ok. And when I took a bunch of cuttings in late winter from the yellow stems, these same leaves have slowly turned back green. After reading your title and recognizing the word "chlorosis" but not remembering what it was, I did some research and I'm now convinced my soil pH is alkaline, which apparently causes an iron deficiency. Now I guess that brings me to a question that someone will hopefully be able to answer. What's the best course of action to correct this problem? Should I get a test kit and confirm that the soil is alkaline? And if it is, then what? I remember we used to have a pin oak that was iron deficient and we had a bag of something and we would spread some on the soil around it once or twice a year (lime? does that sound right?)

Last year, I tried using epsom salts in my water a few times and it didn't make any difference. Maybe I just need to whack it all back and forget about trying to salvage the roots...

I'll be watching for opinions about this...

Denise in Omaha

Comment (1)

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Hi Denise.

"and I'm now convinced my soil pH is alkaline, which apparently causes an iron deficiency."

For your problem: It is "chelate iron"

It is impossible to me answer you in English, but you can read (translate) my old post, in my blog, about "quelato de hierro"

Every spring/summer I put some of "chelated iron" in my pots and know how to thank my hoyas carnosas

Hope this is useful to you.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: quelato de hierro

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor