Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Robins' Nest In Nummularoides

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Mom woke me up to tell me that robins had built a nest in my nummularoides! So we took it out and relocated it to a more low traffic area. Hopefully they'll find it. Mom put a plastic bag over the hanger (but not the plant) to see if that'll keep them away. I didn't mind that they built in there but where it hangs (that little porch) is where I do all my potting.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (13)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Usually, a bird will not return its nest if you move it. This is somewhat dependent on how invested the bird is in the nest, but mostly they get abandoned because they do not recognize the nest in a new location. This is because the setting is very important to how they have memorized the nest. So, if you somehow moved the entire porch (lol) the robins would be more likely to keep the nest than if you moved just the nest. There is a story about a robin that built its nest in a train car and followed it as it moved. Strange, huh? Hopefully there weren't any eggs yet. ^_^ If you have to move a nest, it's best to do it before the birds have gotten too far along, so they can start over.

I would likely do the same, (nummularoides need protection too!) but it is technically illegal to disturb Robin's nests. They are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

• Denise
    12 years ago

Wow, I didn't know Robins nests were legally protected, GG! That's very interesting. I wouldn't have moved it myself. I had Robins build a nest in my 'KP' last year. I was just very careful with how I watered, but it WAS quite a mess to clean up after they were up and out. But worth it...

Denise in Omaha

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Wow, I didn't know they were protected either! Great information, GG!

Kelly

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great info GG! I'm just as surprised! No, there was no eggs in it yet. They just must have finished it not too long before mom found it beacuse the mud was still moist. So you think they still have a chance?

P.S. My mom's main hobby is birdfeeding/watching. We have a bluebird box at the shed that swallows have built in. Of course, bluebirds have built in it before too. But they're just as welcome. I, on the other hand, am a butterfly nut.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I think they'll have time to start over if they can't recognize their nest where you put it. Your mom was smart to put the plastic up, so they don't waste their renewed efforts on the same spot.

Sounds like everyone in your family must have sharp eyes!

Supposedly it only takes around 4 weeks for them to finish raising their chicks once the eggs are in the nest, so even though it must have been quite the task to clean up your KP, I can really see how that wouldn't be too much of a sacrifice, Denise. I love watching them hop on the lawn. They must be the cutest predators in the world.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I didn't know that either GG...thanks for posting!

Hope the birds find the nest Brad...keep us posted!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

We have birds making a nest in our garage. Hubby has cable wires rolled in a ring hanging from a hook. This is the third year the birds have come back to nest. Each year they improve the nest. They call in the morning, for us to open the garage. Then they fly in and out all day long.

• Denise
    12 years ago

Digger, that's so sweet that you let them continue to build their nests in your garage. I so enjoy watching baby birds grow up. (Speaking of which, have you guys been watching the Decorah eagles?? WOW!) I have a pair of beautiful little birds, maybe a species of sparrow, that have built a nest under my porch, over a window. They're gorgeous - dark navy feathers on their heads and back and an orangish yellow breast. They're making a horrible mess with all the bird poop, but watching them is worth a cleanup day when they're done.

GG, I'm with you. Every year, in late winter, my mom and I have a little competition - who sees the first robin, which is our indicator that spring is here. I won this year!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

That's SO cool Ima! Birds are so smart,lol...

• lightning96
    12 years ago

I never knew that about robins are protected legally, either... thanks for that info GG! We are also birdwatchers (I mean my daughters and me) and have quite an active backyard with nesting orioles and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, hummingbirds, among others, it's neat. I can't imagine a bird building a nest in any of my hoyas, though! I think I'd feel over-protective of the hoya, I'm not sure how charitable I would feel towards the bird!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well we set the nest on the ground near some rocks by the creek. If nothing else, maybe they'll tear it apart and reuse it. They usually have a nest somewhere around the house but not this year. They did build up under my neighbor's porch though lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• peanut01
    12 years ago

Two years ago inches built a nest in one of my Hoyas(i don't remember which one). It was very rewarding to let them nest. I had the priviledge to watch them fledge and they turned out to be brown and red. Last year I had a Robin nest under my deck and they came back this year. Wrens have moved into both o my bluebird homes... I guess I will have to make another(I bet another wren or sparrow will take over though). I also have 2 Cardinals nests on my property. One in a Butterly Bush and one in a Rose bush((very low and next to back gate)I try to use this gate now). I thought about putting my Gecko Eggs in with the birds nest but reconsidered since I don't want to experiment with real live subjects.

-David

• jlt37869
    12 years ago

Oh GG, you just made my day!! I was born and raised in MI ,,, where the Robin is our beloved state bird and every school kid is taught to treasure them. I just love their blue eggs. Uh oh, I feel a wave of homesickness starting to wash over me now. :)
    Brad - my numm is very delicate ,,, the leaves snap off way too easily. I can't imagine how it would hold up with a nest in it. Probably just as well to head that off.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA