Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

Red!

Denise
12 years ago

I grow one 'KQ' in hydroton. I've got it sitting on a shelf in the GH where it gets some good morning sun. I noticed these new deep red leaves coming in, and this one is particularly interesting as you can see some "splotchiness", which I think is the ultimate cream coloring it will settle to once it's mature...

Another set of new leaves are even darker red, but they're much smaller and I'm betting they'll have this splotchy look as they grow. It's kind of interesting! This was the 'KQ' I bought as a "superior clone." My regular 'KQ' starts out with nice pink leaves, nowhere near this dark.

Denise in Omaha

Comments (13)

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

That is SO PRETTY Denise! The red leaf is Awesome!! The whole plant looks Great actually! I always like the variegated varieties.... even with African violets...

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Beautiful leaf, Denise. Would it be possible for you to share a side by side comparison of your standard and superior KQ? What are the differences you've noticed, other than this one?

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Denise, it's beautiful! I love red leaves!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I also LOVE Red leaves...that one is SO pretty! I've never seen red leaves on my KQ...Congrats!

• Denise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG,

I don't see significant differences except the young leaves have much deeper tones - burgundys and reds instead of pinks. Once the leaves mature, they're pretty much the same.

Denise in Omaha

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

beautiful red.
    I also think they have some red diference.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Very pretty Pepeuve!!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

That's interesting, Denise. I wondered because sometimes it seems like there's some variation among KQ leaves posted on here. Some seem a shade flatter and thinner although still with the proper variegation, and others seem more rigid and canoe-ing. I wondered if this might also be a difference between your plants.

I'm really not sure whether I am imagining it or not.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi GG,

KQ is one of my most favorite Hoyas & it's becuase of the look of the leaves AND how very variable they are.

I recently shot some pix to show exactly this, of a single branch of a small new KQ I bought locally which has striking variation among 4-5 leaves right next to each other. I'll try to post it this weekend. I also found the same w/ the KQ 'superb' form, highly variable; & that one can have leaves that are SUPER dark, almost black when they first emerge. Eventually, most of the pink/red whitens w/ age.

But they're so cool looking, at least to me!!!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Can't wait to see the photos, PG.

Your explanation makes sense, as I tried to look back through the archives for pictures that demonstrated what I was talking about and couldn't find really good examples of consistent plants.

My own plant is highly consistent, so I expected others to be, but based on your response, this is probably due to the fact that it's still young and small.

Thanks for the further description of KQ 'superb' - sometimes it's hard to gauge true color from photographs.

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Most notably, daylight hours affects to the color of the incipient leaf.
    My personal opinion based on my own experience.
    Sorry I can not explain better.
    Thanks.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Pepeuve Are the new leaves darker with longer daylight hours?

• Denise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pepeuve,

I think it's more about intensity of light than day length. This time of year, I get a lot more sun coming in the GH than in winter.

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions