Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klea_gw

Hoya serpens budding up!

Klea
11 years ago

Hi, I'm a long time lurker on this forum. Slowly, but steadily, I've been reading my way back through the archives - thinking that I should register, but haven't got around to it. Until today! I just had to register to share with the world that my serpens is pushing out buds! I bought the plant as a hanging basket last fall. At that time it had seed pods on it, and when those opened I planted the seeds. Now I have cute little baby serpens growing - and I will (hopefully) get to see the mother plant flower! I'm so excited!

And on top of this I've been so lucky as to have my lacunosa setting flowers continually since december. She just keeps going on and on - flowering on every peduncle! My carnosa is flowering at the moment too.

Sweet smelling bliss - life is good!

Comments (19)

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Klea!
    Please be nice and share pictures with less fortunate hoya people! ;) Although my wish list is getting shorter (very slowly due to new "mush have" additions) serpens is still there. Probably shouldn't complain, from one lacunosa to 25 hoyas in 10 month and DH is OK with it...

• Klea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, greedyghost and Aggie2. :) I'd be happy to share pictures with you. It's like hoya heaven for me right now - I just discovered that my cumingiana is budding up as well!

Aggie2/

how fun to have expanded your hoya collection so fast! I'm there right behind you with 20 different hoyas. I've had my carnosa for many years, but only recently started collecting. :)

Sorry for the massive amount of photos, I'm just so excited! lol

My lovely serpens motherplant:

The serpens seeds in fluffy cotton (the seeds are quite small, maybe 2 mm in lenght):

Serpens seedlings 1 or 2 days old. You can see the spindly, tiny roots starting to spread out on top of the medium.

The seedlings at one month old - still tiny, and no true leaves yet. This was in january.

And here they are today, about 2,5 cm tall (slow growers):

And at last the serpens flower buds:

And because I'm just so excited about the other hoyas flowering as well - here are pictures of my carnosa, lacunosa and budding cumingiana:

Hope it's not too much with all the pictures (and sorry about the size, I couldn't seem to find a way to edit the height and width in the html code), but it's hoyas after all - it's difficult to pick out just one or two photos of hoyas. lol :P

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

Welcome Klea, and WOW! Amazing pictures with beautiful detail.
    I mostly lurk also, there is so much knowledge here and such great people. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Tami

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Welcome to the Hoya forum Klea!!Nice to meet you...

Wow, that is an amazing pot of Serpens, great pictures of your seed pots and baby serpens. Congrats on your buds and blooms. You're doing a great job growing those serpens babies...So cute, Congrats!

Thanks for the pictures...

Nancy

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Thanks Klea, I never get tired of macro Hoya blooms! Such a perfect balance of fuzzy softness and mathematical symmetry!

Aggie

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Wonderful photos, Klea. With resolution like that I can't say I am sad you didn't figure out how to resize them. (You just have to type width = ____ height = ____ into the code somewhere before the > and specify dimensions proportional to the original ones.)

I especially love the photo of the thread-like serpens roots. Nature is so thrilling.

• Klea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you to all of you for giving me such a warm welcome to the forum. :) It's so nice to finally get to share the joy that comes with hoyas! The serpens is still budding up. I moved her outside a few days ago, hope the change in enviroment doesn't make the buds blast. I've really been longing to see those beautiful green fuzzy flowers!

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Welcome Klea, very nice pictures! Your hoya serpens is so nice!

Good luck with your babies seeds!

Mitzi

• golden_ca_2000
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum Klea! LOVELY photos! Those babies are soooo cute!

• amber_m
    11 years ago

klea, how difficult is it to germinate seeds and get plants growing? what is your success rate?

• rennfl
    11 years ago

I don't know whether to congratuale you on the seedlings or omg, those pictures are spectacular!

I have some serpens seedlings growing now as well.

Renee

• Klea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! :) The seedlings sure are cute! Such slow growers, but they're starting to look like small serpens plants now. They might have gotten too little light in the first few months of their lives, maybe that's why they didn't grow any true leaves for such a long time.

amber m/

The serpens seeds sprouted without any problems. I just carefully picked them out of the cotton and lay them on top of moits soil, and then misted them with a spraying bottle. I used small pots (maybe 2 inch), the pots were then put inside clear plastic drinking cups with clear plastic wrapping covering the top (I poked "breathing holes" in the plastic covering). Like mini greenhouses! The success rate was close to 100%, but I weeded out the weak ones and only kept the ones that grew the most. Kind of regret not keeping them all. :/

Let's try and embed a picture of the mini greenhouse, and at the same time I can try to learn how to resize pictures from photobucket (thanks for the tip on how to do it, greedyghost)... You can see the tiniest little speck of a seedling towards the middle of the pot, and a couple of light brown seeds lying on the soil.

rennfl/

How exciting that you've got serpens seedling too! We must compare notes, and see what is the best way to raise these babies! :) How large are your seedlings at the moment?And do you have a lot of them?

• rennfl
    11 years ago

Klea, there are about 20 of them that grew. I've just got them in 2 shallow pots with spag. I keep it very moist.

They are on my covered back porch, under LED lights.

I ended up deciding not to cover them with anything, just letting them grow right now.

Renee

• amber_m
    11 years ago

do you still have seeds? and if so what are the chances of acquiring some seeds so i can try germinating some too? thank you.

• Klea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rennfl/

Your seedling probably love the LED light! I found that they like it very bright, but they don't do well in full sun - I think it's because the sun heats up the little mini greenhouses too much. They really do like high air humidity, though.

amber m/

Sorry, there is no more seeds left. The seed pods ripend in december, and I planted the lot back then.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

That is a stunning photo of Hoya carnosa!
    Welcome to the forum Klea.

Mike

• Klea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Mike.

I had to move the serpens plant back inside the house today, the night temperature has dropped to about 5ðC again. Even though serpens likes relatively cold temperatures, I'm not sure it will tolerate temps as low as that. Just hope the changes in environment won't affect the flower buds negatively.

• Laura_Carnosa
    11 years ago

What a fantastic way to join in! Congrats!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm