Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hoya Pictures to share with my Hoya friends

puglvr1
13 years ago

Hello everyone, after I came back from Vegas visiting family I had a few surprises when I returned. DH "watched" over my plants and I must say he did a good job...although I did water them all before I left. He didn't kill a single one,lol...

H. wayetti

Pink silver

Krimson Queen

Mathilde...check out the different color buds

Same color when it opened

H. bordenii first bud

{{gwi:948822}}
{{gwi:948823}}
Finally my H.nicholsoniae first bud! similar to my H. Potsii flower

last not a hoya...had to throw in my Desert Rose

{{gwi:531704}}

Thanks for sharing them with me.

Comments (55)

• plumeriahilo
    13 years ago

very nice i love the pink silver, so pretty, and as for the adenium obsesum they are in the same family as plumeria and oleander i wish they had a fragrance though, mine are just about to bloom

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Right Hoyas are members of the Asclepiadaceae or milkweed family which is now considered a part of the dogbane family Apocynaceae. I almost ordered a Plumeria the other day but decided I don't have the room, beautiful plants though.

Mike

• plumeriahilo
    13 years ago

i have 24 plumeria at the moment now counting my seedlimgs they are so easy to grow i love the fragrance and the simple beauty if them, i think im addicted to them i just got a candy stipe from Florida colors, it really is worth getting them they are such amazing plants

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

WOW!!! All of those look great! I just love your desert rose! The cutting of it you sent is still live and well!

Kelly

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

What a nice sight to come home to! It's fun, because up until the bordenii, I have all the same hoyas, so I get to see what 'grownup' versions with blooms look like. Also, I think I have that same exact pot that is underneath Mathilde in the pic of it blooming, and I too don't have a plant IN it, but on it, ha. But in my case it's a pothos vine draped over it.

Great growing! Thanks for sharing!

• maidinmontana
    13 years ago

Wow Pug, what a nice thing to come home to. Enjoy, they are beautiful.

maid~

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Fantastic plants you got there, I've been trying to trim my DR down so mine will flower like yours but I think I need to trim more.
    Hoya erythrostemma.

• tishfromwis
    13 years ago

So awesome!!! It must be spectacular to see so many blooms on one plant let alone many! The only multiblooms I've ever had was on wayetti/kentiana (no tag) and you know that doesn't compare to the hoyas with big flowers. I need heat and humidity. It has been in 50's for the high here and 30's at night and now we're getting buckets of rain with flash flooding. Seriously!!! April and May flip-flopped.

Thank you for sharing all of your gorgeous blooms, they are all so beautiful Pug!!!

~Tish~

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Beautiful Pug......Don't you just love finding all those big umbels of flowers hanging everywhere?
    And your Adenium is to die for! How do you get it so full and lush like that? My two bloom like crazy too, but not nearly as full and lush, I've done some pruning, do I need to do more? And if so when?
    Love my Plumeria's too, they smell really nice too! And just starting to bloom.

Jan....love the color of the erythrostemma.....hopefully I will be getting a cutting of that in my IML order.....fingers crossed.

• suetran1
    13 years ago

WOW!! so beautiful, I love them all.
    Your Pink silver so fantastic.
    How old is your desert rose?
    thanks you for sharing.
    sue

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

WOW! I have a small plant of wayetti and it is so inspiring to see your huge one. And of course, all the others are just as amazing! I may be interested in owning a desert rose. I should look into them.

• AndrewH
    13 years ago

Those are incredible!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Nice collection of colorfully-leafed bloomers, Pug!

My H. vanuatuensis is beginning to open its flowers....

Josh

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Ohh...ahhh... Nancy, your plants look yummy!!! So fully grown.

Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Xuan

• Denise
    13 years ago

Beautiful blooms, Pug. Though I'd have a hard time tolerating the humidity down there, I think all those blooms would sure make it easier to take!

Tish, we're in the same boat here. May went to poop - it's been cold, dreary, rainy. Today is our first sunny day in I don't know how long, and it sounds like we're in for more rain tomorrow night and Sunday. But at least it sounds like it's supposed to warm up - YAY!

Josh, my vanuatuensis is a CONSTANT bloomer. I originally got it from Gardino's as diptera after having gotten a cutting of it and vanuatuensis in a trade. The plants themselves look a lot alike (almost identical, as far as I can see!) but I looked up the flowers, and diptera's have some red in the corona, whereas vanuatuensis flowers are pure yellow. Well, mine are pure yellow, so what I thought was diptera is vanuatuensis! So I'm waiting on flowers on the other to see if I have two vans or one dip and one van!

Denise in Omaha

• gootziecat
    13 years ago

Very nice!!! This is a great time of year for hoyas.

Pug, does your Mathilde have a fragrance? If so what does it smell like? Mine is absolutely loaded with blooms and buds and it has no smell to me whatsoever. Drats!!

Sande

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Well I've said it before "Oh to be a Hoya growing in Florida".

I think I need to rephrase that as when I die, I wish to be reincarnated as a Hoya blooming in Puglover's garden.

What a GREAT show Pug, how exciting, thanks for sharing such lush & fabulous Hoya growing.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS EVERYONE!! Appreciate all the kind words!

Mike, had no idea that DR are related to hoyas...who knew?

Mokchun, I live in Florida(US)

Carolyn, I got my H. bordenii from Joni...you will like this one!

Kelly, I'm so glad the DR cutting is doing well. Can you believe I can't root my own cutting from this plant,lol...
    you did a much better job than me, that's for sure!

Quinn, my daughter gave me that pot...I use it to raise the Mathilde since it hangs it works out great! Your hoyas will be all grown before you know it. Space issues only gets worse the bigger they get **sigh**

Jan, Nice bloom! So very pretty!!

LGS, I'm not really sure exactly what I do to this DR to make it bloom. I prune it once or twice a year...trim all the tips off around late summer/early fall...usually when most of the flowers are done. I've also raised the "caudex" once a year for the first four years. 6-8 hours of full sun and gets watered well when its hot. I do get the most flowers this time of year...then it slows down when we get really hot and humid. The soil is very coarse and fast draining, same one I use for my Jades/Succulents.

Sue, my DR is a little over 5 years old?

Josh, congrats on your H. vanuatuensis blooming! I just love those beautiful yellow blooms!

Tish and Denise, I sure hope your weather warms up soon, Although I hate the humidity just like most of us, I can't deal with cold and wet after March,lol... I feel like I'm getting ripped off when the weather is cold. I guess I've learned to "live" with the humidity..you never get used to it, but learn to tolerate it some what. Thank goodness for Air conditioning!!

Sande, my Mathilde has a light scent only...nice smell but only when I put my nose right up to it. Its a little more noticeable at night or very early morning. Congrats on your blooms!

Thanks again everyone!! I enjoyed sharing them with all my Hoya friends.

Will post pics "if" H. nicholsoniae and Bordenii opens.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Pirate Girl. I've been away visiting my daughter...and never saw your post till just now. GW is sometimes known to show post late, it wasn't there when I was responding to others...sorry about that. Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it.

Here's my H.nicholsoniae with the open bloom. Def. looks a lot different than my H. pottsii blooms

H. bordenii...close to opening
    {{gwi:948826}}

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Pug, those are FANTASTIC! Wow! I hope that's really what I have. Will be beautiful!

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Carolyn! A couple of flowers were opening this morning.

Dee, your colors are different than mine, I'm sure differences in our growing conditions is the reason. Mine is clearly not red like my hoya book describes. So interesting the differences in colors from one plant to another of the same variety.

• geosdee
    13 years ago

You know pug I was just noticing the different colors between ours. Hmm, wonder why. I love the bordenii two toned color, but you know I just love your pink (my favorite color). I wouldn't think it was the growing conditions, I live in FL too, and today, it is just awful outside. It is currently 94 and humidity is sitting at about 80%, looks like rain, I hope, I hope. We need it bad. How about you?

Dee

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Hey Josh/Denise

Can you post a picture of your vanuatuensis, I would love to see what flower to expect.

Dee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dee, I'm not really sure either why mine is a different color than yours...very strange. I also like your two toned colors. Like I said my hoya book describes it as being dark red.

Today started out very humid(97%) in the early morning...but it started dropping and at around 4:00 pm the humidity dropped down to around 50% with the temps being around 90°...NO rain at all! But a very nice breeze. I wish we could have gotten some rain, we can sure use it too.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Pug, your Hoyas & Desert Rose are gorgeous. I was going to post pics of my, mostly budding Hoyas, but I'm embarrassed after seeing yours..lol.
    Your Pink-Silver has so many clusters.
    What size pot is your DR in? I know this is a Hoya forum, but since the pics posted....lol
    Its pot looks semi-deep..Can you please measure height and circumference...thanks, Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Toni! There are so many beautiful pictures of Hoyas and Plants here, never feel bad about posting any pictures. Believe me, I have a lot of hoyas that are still so small and far from blooming,lol... We all love looking at pictures! Please post away...I want to see them.

My DR pot is 18" across and 14" deep. It is definitely deeper than I wanted, but couldn't find a shallower pot at the time when I needed to repot it. So this was the only choice.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Pug I was at a cactus and succulent show and sale today and that desert rose of yours would have won first place hands down if it would have been there. You really have grown your plant to perfection.

Mike

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike, that is so kind of you to say! Wish you were a judge so I can get a ribbon,lol...

Did you buy anything exciting? I love Jades and Succulents, not a big fan of Cactus though(except for the Christmas/Thanksgiving cactus of course)...too prickly and painful :o)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I picked up another hardy Opuntia species that has huge spines and yellow flowers with red centers, and a pot of Albuca Aughrabies Hills, and a narrow leafed form of Echeveria setosa. I also got A Bowiea sp, Aloe arborescens and some Haemanthus sanguineus seedlings from some very kind friends, oh and more Hoyas of course.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Haemanthus sanguineus

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Nancy,
    Do you recognize this?!?!

I love my baby desert rose!
    Kelly

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike you sound like you made out pretty well! Good for you!

Kelly, I sure do...I love it! She turned out to be a beautiful little plant, I'm so excited for you. I can't even root a cutting from my own plant,lol...I'm so happy yours is doing so well and look at all the blooms! Great growing Kelly...you should be so proud of it. thanks for the picture.

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Pug I keep finding myself going back and looking at the picture of that DR,our local Wal-mart has a lot of them in stock right now and i'm quiet tempted to go and get one!!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

David, I think you should go for it! You won't regret it. Just remember when you repot or change pots to "raise" the caudex a few inches each time to bring out the great roots hiding underneath all that dirt. You will do very well with it, I am very sure of that...look at all your gorgeous hoyas!!

• paul_
    13 years ago

Hmmm, I don't know there, Nancy. Your Adenium looks like its languishing -- I think you need to send it to MEEEEEE! LOL

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure Paul...no problem :o) Not sure you want to pay for shipping though, it must weigh over 50 lbs!

• sewnmom7
    13 years ago

Pugs, i just ENJOYED your pic of your hoyas, i love the first one , the leaves,.., whats its name? i like the leaves as well as the flowers.i don't have many blooms so i love the leaves also.. thanks for the beautiful pics. molly

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Molly! The first picture is Hoya wayetti but I purchased it with a label from Exotic Angel as Hoya kentiana.

I believe the correct ID is Hoya wayetti.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Nancy, miss you!!! Hope all is well. I still have a few of those))

• puglvr (9B)
    2 years ago

Hi Mike! I miss seeing you too! Thanks, all is well and hope you and your beautiful plants are doing great also...Check out the many buds on my Hoya australis 'Lisa'. they are blooming crazy this year!

Great to hear from you!!

• moonwolf_gw
    2 years ago

Hey Pug! Good to see you! That Lisa is gorgeous!!! Congrats on all the blooms!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Hello!! I am so happy you stopped by and I still have some of those you gave me years ago)) I still have the baby you sent me of the one above)) I should snap a photo of it for you and I will))

Beautiful and I am so happy you are ok. Still growing those beautiful plants and still around which makes me happy.

Mike

2 years ago

Wow, Nancy, let me echo Mike, how great to see you!!

Here's the Royal Hawaiian you shared so many years ago!

Blooming all season, and about to bloom again.

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Pug - those pictures are really impressive. Keep up the good work!

2 years ago

@puglvr (9B), the latest bloom opened today!

I've had some really dark purple, pinks, pinks and purples mixed, and now

this nice deep red bloom.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Josh, what a color)))

Nancy, your legacy lives on)))

Hope your weather is finally coolonig for you)

Nice looking plants all,

• puglvr (9B)
    2 years ago

Josh, that AWESOME!!! So pretty...thanks for sharing!

Mike, it is finally cooling off a little but tomorrow we are back to 83 degrees Lol...then this weekend down in the 70's, can't complain! Nice to see you!!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Nancy, lol. Boy do I wish I still had T-shirt weather although I did yesterday and much of November which is very strange for my area. I love the global warming only for that.

• puglvr (9B)
    2 years ago

Lol Mike! If I could I would share my sunshine/heat with you guys!!

Australis 'lisa' Blooms opening up! A couple of bees enjoying the nectar :o)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Nancy, I once had mine do the same thing for me a couple years ago and nothing since!!! That's crazy. They smell so good too. I think I had mine in the little greenhouse all winter the year mines did and fertilized all winter. I am trying the same thing again this year. I will take a photo for you on the one I started from that very plant , the momma you have there))

There si something about yours that just makes me smile so much. Thank you for sharing.

The temps not so bad yesterday 70 here. Crazy. Still I have many annuals just pushing growth in pots but after this weekend it will be the end.(((

Mike

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions