Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kukka_gw

Are my H. pubicalyx twins identical?

kukka
12 years ago

Hi again! Someone really nice I traded with sent me several healthy cuttings yesterday, and I'm so happy! As you can imagine, my want-list was LONG, and now I have lots of Hoya to grow. Only problem is, I don't seem to want to do anything else now...

Well anyway, now I have a question about one (or two?) of my new cuttings.

I had mentioned to the sender previously how much I like dark pubicalyxes, and would like to grow either Hoya pubicalyx 'Chimera' or 'Royal Hawaiian purple', because they get those beautiful dark new leaves and I think the flowers would contrast nicely with my Hoya pubicalyx cv "Silver Pink", (providing my cuttings ever grow up and flower, of course).

Among others, I got cuttings with both of these labels from this generous collector. Now, this is exactly what I wanted and more, but still I'm wondering what to do with them... I have since learned, that this pubicalyx goes by two names, and the cuttings sure enough look the same. If I look for differences, 'chimera' seems to have slightly smaller and lighter leaves.

Should I now plant my cuttings in the same pot (they are in Hydroton now), and if you think I should, how should they be labeled if I give cuttings to someone later?

I also want to mention that I bought H. serpens from Paul Shirley succulents nearly three weeks ago, as recommended by GG. The cutting is so cute, but the leaves are a lot tinier than I expected. It has a peduncle with buds, and so do my bella and carnosa 'Krinkle-8'. All the buds are staying small, and I don't expect flowers from them yet, but still nice!

My P.S. order took only three days in the mail (sorry Mitzi), and I was really pleased. He even answered my email and modified my order on a Sunday. Almost all of the cuttings I ordered from him have tiny roots now, and some have new growth too.

Comments (6)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

As much as these plants look the same they are not. These varieties of Hoya pubicalyx are all seed raised plants so it would be best to look at them as being sisters or brothers. Some may have similar traits but they are still individuals.
    The perfect example are the newly collected (Philippines) Hoya pubicalyx 'White Dragon' and 'Black Dragon', these plants are still Hoya pubicalyx although they look very different from 'Pink Silver', 'Royal Hawaiian Purple', 'Bright One', 'Chimera' or 'Fresno Beauty'. Anyone can come up with a new variety but first you need to grow plants on from seed and then select one that shows an interesting trait like a variation in colour of the blooms or leaves. Leaf variegation and all these other different traits are all just genetic variation that can happen within a species.

If for any reason you don't have the name when you get one of these plants it would be best to just put Hoya pubicalyx on the tag vs assigning an name because this can cause confusion later on when the plant is traded.

Congratulations on your cuttings, sounds like they are doing well.

Mike

• kukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Mike!
    I guess I got confused, as some sites list these as synonyms while others do not. No combining the two, then.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Kukka,

Three days in the mail? It would be a miracle!

My best time was 5 days from U.S. but now our best time is 21 days!

• kukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's why I admire your perseverance, Mitzi.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Congratulations on your new cuttings, Kukka! I'm glad you are going to give serpens a try. I JUST got some fresh willow branches today (they're sitting in a thermal bag behind me this moment), so I am going to start the light/dark rooting experiment this weekend. That's kind of a tangent, but I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten!

/Mike Thanks for taking such a definitive stance on the RHP/Chimera confusion. So many Hoyas end up with multiple names it's sometimes hard to know when to stop being a skeptic.

• kukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad you are starting the experiment, greedyghost, especially as I now have some 16+ cuttings rooting.

These vining houseplants seem to be so much more alive than other houseplants, don't you think? This gardening stuff is new to me, and I would feel evil if I killed them.