Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lightning96

When is the best time to bring cuttings out of humidity?

lightning96
12 years ago

Is it best to wait for new growth, or are new roots enough?

And do you transition the hoyas to life outside? I have 3 cuttings that have been in humidity for 3 weeks now, and there are clearly roots to be seen, but there isn't new growth yet. I'm sure it depends to on the particular hoya; the ones I have rooted are all "easy" ones---acuta, dasyantha, meliflua.

Comments (5)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

If I have the room I allow the cuttings to stay in the rooting chamber until they start new growth and some new leaves are well developed. You can take the cutting out as soon as you see a good root system has formed but since new growth happens faster under warm humid conditions it can be a real benefit to jump start a cuttings growth.
    I usually transition the cuttings to regular room conditions by opening the top of the rooting chamber a bit or if it is a bag then just open it for and hour or two and do that for a few days while gradually increasing the time the container is open. Hoyas are pretty tough so you could probably just pluck a cutting from high humidity and place it out with the rest of your plants but when new growth is involved it is better to take it slow.

Mike

• lightning96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Mike! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I feel like my aquarium is running out of room, so I've been thinking of moving some plants out, but I probably should wait for new growth as you suggest.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I generally leave cuttings in the aquarium until something kicks them out. So, when I get new stuff in, I usually end up rearranging my tanks, pulling out whatever has the strongest performance, and consolidating those who have done less.

I used to be really careful about transitioning my cuttings. I would transfer them to room temperature but keep the humidity boosted with bags or a pebble tray, and then move them in with the rest of the plants after a week. I'm a bit tougher on them now, if they are vigorous thick-leafed varieties, and I haven't noticed any bad reactions, although obviously I need to keep a sharp eye on the watering just like any Hoya with new growth.

Exceptions:

1. If they are rooting in fall or winter, they stay in the aquarium or at least a clear tupperware until winter is over.
    2. If they are a delicate species they stay in the aquarium until they are quite well established.

Honestly, I could not live without my big clear IKEA tupperware bins. When in doubt, I stick it in a bin for a couple of months - that way they can keep their high humidity for longer than I can afford to give them premium aquarium space.

• Denise
    12 years ago

Wow, you guys sure treat your Hoyas kindly!! I don't like them to get too used to those nice humid conditions because, let's face it, they have to live out here in the real world. This time of year, they really don't even need any special treatment to root, but I still give them a little TLC. I save the aquarium for dehydrated cuttings and most go into a little pot that goes into a cheap one gallon bag. I spray in some VF-11, blow the bag up and seal it with a twist-tie. About twice a week, I open the bag and if it's very soggy, I let it sit open for a few hours or overnight. Then I blow it back up and reseal it. I do this until I can tug on the cutting and it resists. As soon as I feel resistance, out it comes into the real world. I put it in a bright spot in the GH and let it adapt.

The only time I leave anything in the aquarium or a bag for longer than, oh, maybe 3 weeks this time of year, is if it's very dehydrated. Then I leave it in until it rehydrates, whether that takes a month or 6 months. Hoyas are pretty tough!

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Haha. Denise, the cuttings I received from you are still in an aquarium. It's been a month today. I suspect they're going to get kicked out tonight for some new cuttings though!

You have a point about letting them just get started on the process of adapting to their new habitat. I guess in the end there's no right answer, just a balancing act between giving them a head start and allowing them to start getting settled.

Sponsored