Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alavoneluvhoya

Any good online sellers?

alavoneluvhoya
11 years ago

I am looking for a good reliable online seller of hoyas. I am looking for a few I can not get here in town. Can anyone recommend one that they have had good success with?>

Comments (20)

• goddess9
    11 years ago

SRQ Hoyas is great. Reasonable prices for hoyas and a good size. I bought 3 a month ago and two of them have new points of growth. I consider that a success.

Gardino is also pretty good. I was very satisfied with the size of the Hoyas. Bought H. obscura for $8 and it's starting to push out new leaves - it's been about a week! I also bought H. mindorensis for $10 and it was a nice big plant clipped up to hoop.

I've also heard that Almost Eden is great in general, though I've never done business with them.

• scsva
    11 years ago

SRQ Hoyas (big selection)
    Gardino's Rareflora (reasonable price and good size hoya)
    Bob Smoley's Gardenworld reasonable price-slower shipping
    Accents for Home and Garden (cheapest)
    Almost Eden (doesn't have a big selection but sends nice big plants)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I would not recommend Accents for the Home. I bought 4 plants from them (all Hoyas) & over a short time, I lost them all.

They also seem to invent Hoya names, sold me something as Indonesian something or other, which was just a Lacunosa.

One thing I DID like is the larger, square plastic pots their plants came in.

• scsva
    11 years ago

Accents' Pink Silver is unlike any other (unless they grow them from seeds) because the leaves are tiny and actually have pink speckles. Maybe that is the way they are supposed to be, hence the name but other pink silver I've seen has the silver specks.

S

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

alright i just used gardinos I am so excited I think yall just opened a can o worms for me!

• scsva
    11 years ago

Well, I wasn't disappointed with the hoyas I received from them.

Susan

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Many of the ones I really wanted were sold out. But I did get shooting stars which was nice my friend has one and it is big and beautiful!

• iochroma
    11 years ago

My experience:
    SRQ Hoyas - OK... plant quality has been mixed and I've bought a lot
    Gardino's (who is also known as Rareflora on ebay) - reasonable prices and good sized plants - Yes, super nice
    Bob Smoley's Gardenworld - too slow - unreliable
    Accents for Home and Garden - unreliable
    Violet Barn - really good little plants - super fair prices
    CowboyFlowerMan (on ebay) very good plants, generous
    Ted Green's - used to be good - lately mixed

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Io,

Karen here, thanks, this is useful to know. I rarely order, but have often wanted to from CFM & maybe will try Gardinos too, Denise recently posted about them & showed great plants she'd recently purchased from them.

Some day ...

• scsva
    11 years ago

forgot to mention cowboyflowerman, have ordered a lot from him and have been satisfied with what I received.

Some of the best hoyas that I have received were from persons on these forums who propagate their own plants.
    Denise, for one.

Cubits.org/people are allowed to sell or trade.

Susan

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love all of the feedback thanks guys ! I do a lot of propagation but am in a tiny town and theres not much access to plants here. I have some hoyas that I have propagated many times just to use a pot that I like without having to buy another plant to fill it lol......I use the stem method anyone use the air layering with hoyas? I ordered from gardino's last thursday and did the 2 day shipping and am still waiting on my babies to arrive.....hopefully tomorrow?

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I know Sue does air layering in the formal sense (mentioned here, for example). I have wanted to give it a go, but never seem to get around to it, unless you count pinning the odd node to the soil.

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We need to start a propagation post. I am a master at the stem prop but would like some insight to air layering.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Well maybe if you start one, everyone will contribute their methods and picture tutorials and we'll get a good thick resource thread out of it that we can link to when the age old question comes up. ^_^

• amber_m
    11 years ago

i would love a propigation post... i need all the info i can get and it would be interesting to see all the different things people do to root cuttings...

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I mentioned this in another recent post but I think that everyone who has not read the STEMMA Journal issues should ASAP. This was and is a fantastic resource of Hoya information.
    Look up Apodagis Hoya and then look for the STEMMA Journal issues at the bottom of the page. There was an entire issue dedicated to Hoya propigation.

Mike

• amber_m
    11 years ago

yes thank you mike, i actually spent a couple hours earlier reading through those journals and the propagation one specifically... thank you a TON for posting that earlier

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike! Love the readings!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Any chance someone could pls. specify which is the propagation one? They just appeared to be numbered, this info. would be most helpful thanks.

• amber_m
    11 years ago

volume 1 #4

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!