Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golden_ca_2000

hoya that does nothing

golden_ca_2000
12 years ago

I purchased this cutting back in October of 2010 and this it how I got it and how it stands today (well except for that stem on the right died .... but it has NEVER done anything.... the cutting itself was kind of woody (I thought) so could that be why it is taking so long to do SOMETHING... wow my patience's are running out here.... how old will I be when I see an leaf - lol Anyone know what I can do to get it to do something....

Comments (15)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

No advice here, I just wanted to offer some sympathy. I've had to wait as long with no results too. (Helloooooooooo nicholsoniae!) Eventually it will do something. Some cuttings, given the same conditions as their peers, are just slow adapters or stubborn or something...

Here's hoping it does something magnificent soon!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Hi Golden.

I have that Hoya sp GPA 10080 and it has been a good grower for me so there must be something awry with that cutting of yours. To what extent is the cutting rooted? Maybe it would be best to cut the cutting in half and root the top portion, might kick it into growth. I have found that if a cutting is woody it is best to scrape the surface with a finger nail until you see green, this allows the new roots a much easier route.
    I had a Hoya obscura that took me cutting it up a couple times until it put out strong new growth. Now after having that plant for at least four years it's approaching something that couple possibly bloom.

Mike

• Denise
    12 years ago

Golden,

Don't feel you're alone. We have have "problem children". Mine is hellwigiana. My first try, I got a blooming size plant from the Hawaiian grower. It did beautifully for me for awhile, even bloomed, then went to plant heaven rather quickly. So I got a cutting a couple years ago. It rooted, but then lost all its leaves but one. It's still rooted, the one leaf is healthy, but it's stayed in suspended animation for two years with absolutely no change. Grrr! But Mike's right - if mine were big enough, I'd prune it back to try to knock it into growing, which often works.

Good luck!

Denise in Omaha

• binlin
    12 years ago

Are there drainage holes in the bottom of that cup?
    How often do you water the cutting?

If it's been 7 months and that cutting hasn't shown any signs of growing then you might have a cultural problem. Judging from your photo, it doesn't look like the cutting has grown very many roots at all. From my experience even my slowest growing hoyas would have completely filled a cup of that size with roots by now.

You may want to follow mikedahms' advice and divide the cutting to get it to start over, but before taking any drastic action I would say to pull it up and see how much the root system has developed.

• lightning96
    12 years ago

GG: I laughed about what you said about H. nicholsoniae... mine is also such a slow grower! I got it last year and it did nothing until now --- I finally moved it into some bright morning sunshine and finally I see new leaves growing. It's about time!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I had a Pachyclada cutting that did nothing for over a year,lol...it had wrinkled leaves for almost that whole year too. My guess is it took almost that long to root and wasn't taking in much water...I planted it with another cutting I had and didn't want to disturb the other cutting so I never unpotted it to see what was happening. I just left alone since it never yellowed or died. It was the weirdest thing. Finally about a month or so ago I noticed a brand new growth. The leaves are finally not wrinkled anymore. I've never had a hoya take this long to show some activity.

I do agree with Renee from the looks of the mix, I can't see much roots(unless its the angle of the picture) for seven months you should be able to see roots on the side of the cup...so that could have something to do with it...also your leaves look "slightly" wrinkled to me which reminded me of my cutting?

Good luck Golden!

• cyclonenat
    12 years ago

Hi i was wondering is multiflora hard to root my one has really thin leaves? sorry for stealing your post

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I bought a few cuttings at the same time another with that purchase was palawan 9076 which again, was sort of a woody cutting and it did the same thing - until one day one leaf went yellow and then another - until I lost the darn thing... Anyways with this one - I did take it out of the pot last week when I repotted most of my hoyas into a new mix of coir/pertlite and orchid bark.... and I did see a few roots - not alot but there was roots there... so I repotted it and hopefully it will do something....one thing I did notice is it has a very tiny - I dont know what you'd call it - white thingy - I am not sure if you can see it by the photo but could it possibly be some sort of growth? (on the left hand nub - on the below photo )

Still doesnt look great - thats for sure... but I almost hate to cut it and try rerooting MAINLY because my fish tank that I was using - now has fish in it and I havent gotten out to get another one - which I most definitely have to do in case I have any troubles as I have revived plants in the past by adding them to the fish tank with bottom heat etc..

rennet - yes there were and are drain holes in the pot..I water the cutting about once a week... depending on how dry it looks - I always like to try and keep them damp but not WET..

Anyways thanks you guys for all your help - once again... I will watch it very closely for the next little while and if it doesnt do something soon.... out come the scissors - lol

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

For woody stemmed cuttings, I tend to use rooting gel. I figured they could use the help. Seems to work for me. Maybe give that a try? The stuff I use is by Dyna Gro. I think it is just called Root Gel. I take a q tip, scoop a decent amount out so I can avoid needing to get another q tip for more, and spread liberally over what is going to be under potting mix. Then I make a hole in the mix, and carefully stick the cutting in the hole, or alternately, start with the stem and add mix around it. Basically, you don't want to wipe the root gel off.

I also use this method for cuttings I really don't want to lose (rare and/or expensive ones).

• rennfl
    12 years ago

I'm by no means an expert as I've only really been growing Hoyas for about 2 years.

But for some reason, I don't have problems rooting cuttings. I root all of them in S/H in clear cheap plastic drinking cups. I put the cut part just below the water line, but the rest of the stem is in a constant damp but airy environment, and with it being clear plastic I can see what is going on. Plus those little cups are really really cheap lol

I just received a bunch of cuttings last week from a trade, and as of this morning, half of them have already started rooting. What's interesting is the roots start all along the stem, the part under water, and the part above water.

The cuttings I traded for about a month ago, two have actually pretty good root system already, so that I've already converted them out of the S/H, the third is being stubborn (multiflora), but it even has swelling that looks like it will become roots.

Just another option that seems to have worked for me so far. (Keeping fingers crossed though)

Renee

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

I've also had a hoya cutting similar to yours for a year. It grew roots but did not do much else. Finally, a leaf. I finally cut the cutting in half to make 2 separate cuttings and moved the new cutting to a different location and finally it is starting to send out baby leaf shoots so I am hopeful I may get a plant out of it yet. Anyway, my suggestion is move it to where it can get more light, if possible. That seems to have helped mine.

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well now look at that - I FINALLY got some life... I put a plastic bag around the pot and put it in a sunny window and a leaf was born! Wow did that ever take forever - lol
    Now hopefully it starts growing!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Very nice Golden,looks like you have new growth down on the bottom.Looks like this will be the year it starts to grow.

Cindy

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes finally - lol.... its only been a year next month!! Talk about a slow grower!!!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Yay...Congrats Golden! Finally its growing for you. I have a few of those right now, sometimes I wonder "are you alive"? Lol...

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations