Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_plant_addict

Are these the beginnings of buds?

Hi there! It's been a long time since I've been on this site or even added a message and how I've missed it!

Anyway, I have a Hoya Carnosa (I think) that a friend gave me last October. It never flowered for her and she said it was a really slow grower. I've never grown this type of hoya before (I also have hindu rope). Since I've had the plant theres been a little growth but still no flowers.

Here is a photo of the entire plant. Some of the leaves are variegated but then there are purely white leaves with a pink stem.

Is this possibly a different hoya plant?

Now to the buds (I have two but only one in the photo). Though since this plant has had such little growth maybe its new leaves.

Same area just a little further away

I'd appreciate anyone who can help me with tips for helping this plant flower and stay healthy.

Are these buds? I hope so!

Thanks for the help!

Ashley

Comments (8)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Hi Ashley. ^_^ You have correctly identified your plant as Hoya carnosa. Specifically, it is Hoya carnosa 'Tricolor' (trademarked 'Krimson Queen.')

The white vine is the same plant. Sometimes it throws these pure white vines. The 'proper' thing to do is to cut such a vine off, as it steals resources from the plant without contributing much, so it is better for the health of your plant to prune such vines. However, they are very beautiful, so it's a personal call whether or not you're willing to sacrifice some of your plants potential growth for the pleasure of these white leaves. ^_~ (No judgement here - I'm personally waffling over my own white vine.)

The variegation of your plant is low and the leaves are a dark green, so if you want it to flower soon, you might want to move it somewhere with stronger light.

I believe the 'possible buds' are indeed, as you guessed: new leaves.

Nice growing and welcome back to the forum!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Welcome back to the forum also! I agree with GG on your hoya...very pretty plant and easy hoya to care for. From your picture it looks like new growths to me also...sorry, I know its not what you were hoping for. I bet it won't be long when you see some peduncles and blooms. As GG mentioned...the more light they receive the better chances of blooms, but avoid too much direct sun as you can sunburn your leaves...maybe a couple of hours of early morning sun might do the trick. Good luck!

Here's what a peduncle looks like...my best description of the shape would be like a very small microphone. Not the clearest picture but you get the idea.
    {{gwi:949404}}

• squidy
    12 years ago

Buds will start out blunt or bulbous on the end so they're pretty easy to tell apart from leaves early on, but they do grow from the same sort of spot that a leaf would.
    I think you have enough green on the other leaves to afford keeping the white ones at this point. As long as the plant can photosynthesize enough to support the technically useless white leaves, it's fine. (And they look so nice in the middle of your plant.)

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome back! Hopefully you'll see me around more often :)

GG and Squidy, thanks for the help on the white leaves; I think I'll keep 'em for now. :D They do look so nice in the middle!

Pug, thank you so much for posting that photo! This will help me while I keep a look out for buds.

Right now I have it getting indirect morning sun, close to an east facing window. I do have another area where I could move it to. Its a west facing window and gets really bright light in the afternoon into the evening. It would be sitting right next to a sliding glass door, would this be too much light for it? I'd hate to burn some of the leaves.

Thanks again for such great help! :D

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

All great advice especially GG's comments concerning light levels. For Hoya carnosa to bloom well you want medium to light green leaves. You could put your plant right up against the glass of an East window with no fear of there being too much light. A West window would work as well but transition the plant slowly to higher light and keep it a foot or two back from the glass to prevent any sun damage if you are concerned it is too bright.

Mike

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Hi ashley_plant_addict:
    The second option is also good. Two hours.
    My Hoya carnosa mother, its daughters and others are facing west and get "direct sun", but the best option is to direct sunlight sunrise. Eastern.
    My humble opinion.

Link below. They are "facing west".

Here is a link that might be useful: facing west

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, Ashley!
    Wow, it's good to see you! I hope you've been well!

Everyone covered all the Hoya details, but I wanted to welcome you back!

Your plant looks nice....good color, great shape.

Josh

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, I think I might move it to the west window. I had the plant there for a couple of weeks while I was rearranging things. Maybe the new growth was because of the increase in light.

pepeuve, you're hoya's are beautiful!

Hey Josh, I've been great but extremely busy. I hope you're doing well!

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Ashley

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area