Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltarello

willow extract

saltarello
14 years ago

Has anyone used willow extract to root or water with? If so, how has it worked for you? Where can you buy it from? I am interested in trying some on some cuttings and wondered if anyone had prior experience?

Thanks

Jaclyn

Comments (6)

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Jaclyn I don't think you can buy willow water but I could be wrong. I have never tried it but usually you just take a few willow twigs and place them in the water with your cuttings, I don't know if you scrape the bark off the twigs or not. Are you trying to root something that is a little stubborn to root or just to give the willow water method a try?

Mike

• saltarello
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, sorry it took so long to respond. Apparently there is something called willow extract that comes in a little container that you can add to water while rooting and this website said it makes rooting very easy, OR it said that you can use willow tea to water your plant with while rooting in soil, and I don't have anything that I am aware is hard to root, I just wanted to make things very easy to root. I was trying to find information on anyone who has used these methods to see how it worked for hoyas.
    Thanks,
    Jaclyn

• saltarello
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh by the way Mike, oddly enough I just asked you a couple weeks ago about my carnosa that has never bloomed (never had a hoya bloom ever!) because it's in a lower lit room, no direct light, and I found my first peduncle? I think that's what everyone calls them, anyway, it's a budding up, so I am not sure if it will actually bloom because it's in a lower light, (behind blinds near a window) but I am really hoping it does.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Jaclyn I would guess that the willow extract would work well but I am not sure I would pay for it unless I thought I needed it. Do you think you could go hunt down a willow to take some cuttings from, they are easy to identify and around here at least there are always branches all over under the large crack willows. The branches that fall often root if there is enough moisture and you get some pretty interesting looking trees when those branches mature.

That is great that your Hoya carnosa has developed a peduncle. If the peduncle matures and no buds follow you could try slightly more light but the hard part will be taken care of. I know I have several plants that had peduncles for about six months before they produced buds and I was able to get those after a slight increase in water. My Hoya pubicalax has four or five new peduncles that are still not mature after they first developed last fall so sometimes it can take a while.

Mike

• saltarello
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes Mike, we have weeping willows all over the place here, so then just some cuttings to stick in the water with whatever is rooting? I wasn't sure what the willow extract was at first. I know, I couldn't believe that my carnosa was developing buds, but the reason I haven't been able to put it in bright light was because we live in an apartment, and fortunately we are moving to a house in a couple weeks, but I am afraid that it will ruin my flower at the same time(to have to move the plant) so, crossing my fingers that maybe it'll be okay. I wonder if the humidity of my area helps at all? My mom's plant is always blooming, but I don't think she waters it enough. Hope your hoya pub flowers for you soon! I have all these hoyas, just waiting for them to flower...or grow big enough. Thanks for your input on the willow, just wanted to know for a lot of reasons, especially when moving and creating a garden at my new home.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Well I guess you will have some prime window space for your Hoya carnosa in the new house, that will get it blooming for sure. My pubicalax has three peduncles it blooms on already but the new ones have me really excited, wish they would hurry up and mature though. Even if the buds develop and then end up dropping your plant will make new ones soon if it is happy.

Mike

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County