Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenandbea

David Liddle Canadian order Continued

kenandbea
15 years ago

Hi everyone

I thought it would be a good idea to start a second thread. The first one was getting a bit long and now that your cuttings are on the way it would be nice to share some photos. We could all share and show the progress as they grow or are potted up.

This is where we came from.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0320484710494.html?85

I will start here by showing you some that I took of the orders. Forgive me if some are not as clear as they could be.

Bea

Comments (50)

• oldflowergirl
    15 years ago

Oh how exciting to see everyone's order! The cuttings look so healthy and happy! I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Once again, thanks so much for this opportunity, Bea. And to Kookie too. :D.

• nova12
    15 years ago

I love seeing my hoya's before I get them......thanks so much. That is so many hoya's......I love the reddish leaves. That sigillatis is really cool too, I cant wait until I get one of those too.......there are just so many hoya's. Cant wait to hear from others on this thread.

Thanks Bea

Tracy

• orkidlady
    15 years ago

Oh Bea...these are wonderful! I see some of my babies there! Woo hoo....I can hardly wait....

Thank you for taking all the pics and they all look so healthy.

Joanne

• wheatgrl
    15 years ago

I see some of my babies! I love seeing what we have ordered. So Bea, what did you order and was there some that were more sought after?

Trish

• k0okie
    14 years ago

Phew... Im glad they made it to you looking ok. My cystiantha looked pretty mangled and I think it's going to loose a few leaves.

Glad that I could help out. I hope everyone is happy with their cuttings since I am actually the one who did all the cutting and preparing of the cuttings!! It was so much work just for us. I have a whole new respect for what David and Iris do for all us hoya lovers around the world. It takes SO much time to put all the orders together.

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Thank you Kookie for all your hard work for our orders! And of course Bea for putting this all together and Kelly for Helping Bea! lol. And David for his lovely cuttings!
    Hope I didnt forget anyone?
    Golden

• klyde
    14 years ago

Thanks so much Kookie for all of your hard work. This was my first order, and I only went for 3 different kinds. My cuttings were generous and in very good shape when I took them home yesterday. I was so pleased and thankful.

Thanks for having me over Bea. It was a hoot. I couldn't sleep last night for thinking about what I should have ordered. Darn! Now I appreciate the work that goes into putting together these kinds of things. Wow. And people you should see Bea's hoyas. In all my everlovin' days I have never seen anything like that. You would not believe it. It was like I had found a long-lost tribemate. We talked Hoya's for 3 hours and she didn't look at me strangely once. How often does that happen to people like us?

I'm still thinking about it. Jeez I hope I sleep tonite.

Kelly

• sandy731
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for doing the order again this year Bea and thanks for posting the pictures. It must be so much fun to see all those different species together and be able to compare them. I can see my little babies there and can hardly wait to get my paws on them. They look great. Looking at what others ordered I can already see some more hoyas I will have to put on my wish list. Will it never end? LOL Maybe someday we can start to get more trading in Canada happening on the forum.

Kookie, thanks again for all your hard work and for bringing the cuttings back with you.

Sandy

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am just peaking in on you guys. I wanted to see if anyone got their package today yet.Guess it is a bit early:) Have all my fingers crossed, toes too if I need to...that someone will be jumping up and down because they have arrived.

You guys/gals are all so welcome I have really enjoyed it. Besides if you didn't join in with me then I probably wouldn't be able to get them myself so see how you have all been an enabler:)) The thankyou really goes out to everyone else too.

I am just finishing up potting up the rest of mine this morning.

Bea

• rebelgardener_2009
    14 years ago

Hi Bea and all,
    I got my 'care pack" just past 11am! thanks so much to Kookie, Bea & Kelly (as well as David Liddle & Iris Marie) for the great plants. All are in wonderful shape considering the travel & much bigger than I had expected. I can easily make a few cuttings per plant. My most unusual was an onychoides, and a NoId from Sabah. Would like to know what others got too. I am off to the store for bigger baggies!
    Rebecca

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Got my package - thanks again so very much! Just a quick question - if someone can answer it fairly quickly? Should I take leaves off the cuttings so I have at least 2 leaf nodes under soil. sorry this is my first time doing this so I want to make sure I do it correctly. Or can I just plant the stem without taking off leaves?

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If the leaves are med to large I often do only a one node cutting. For all
    leaves I only take off one set of leaves but rarely. I cut about 2 inches
    below a set of leaves and set them into the soil up to and slightly covering
    that bottom set of leaves so that it will root from that node which in some
    cases it is the only node on the cutting.
    The extra 2 inches below the node helps stop it from being so tippy and of
    course it will root along that burried piece of stem.

Hope that helps

Bea

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

I noticed on my moms rigida - the stem itself had sort of roots coming out of the stem so I thought I might get away without cutting off any leaves. So they definitely will not start with out cutting off at least a leaf or two then? Such nice leaves I almost hated to cut them off.

• shoiley
    14 years ago

Hi Bea,

Received the cuttings today and have them in a water bath as we speak! They arrive looking in fine fashion except for a bruised leaf on my brevialata which is at the bottom of the cutting anyway. Thanks so much to all of you who helped organize, cut, and send....This is my first time ordering too and it seems like everyone roots their cuttings in soil instead of water? What ratio of soil to perlite should I use? And of course the baggies help for humidity correct? Should they cutting have a warm spot to sit in? Any advice would be great!

Thanks again!

Shirley

• sandy731
    14 years ago

Bea I got my cuttings today too. Thanks so much, they look really good. After soaking them I spent the afternoon setting up my aquarium and potting them up. I have my fingers crossed that this time they will all live. I usually have one casualty but I think they might be alright this time because none of them are really thin stemmed.

Golden you don't need to take any leaves off. You just cut the cutting below the bottom node the length that will make it so the node is just at or slightly below the soil. It doesn't matter if there are leaves at that node. I always leave mine on. I think the more leaves the cutting has the more energy it will have to root. Maybe it's not true but it hasn't hurt so far.

Shirley, I mix a bit extra perlite and about a third orchid mix to my potting soil. If any of the orchid bark is rather big I cut it up into small chunks with my garden pruning shears. I put the pots with the cuttings in an aquarium that has a heat mat underneath. I put a plastic cover over the top to keep the humidity in.

Sorry this is probably too late to give you this information but I was having trouble with my computer.....again. Grrrr!

Sandy

• orkidlady
    14 years ago

Morning everyone!!!

Well I sure had fun shopping for Hoyas....paid my invoice this morning! I spent lots so I had to have had fun...LOL!!!

I am not sure if Amanda is in this forum or not but David said she handled our orders for him this year so kudos to you Amanda!

Well I am hoping mine are here today but the CP website says Monday.....*sigh*

Have a good day everyone....enjoy your babies!

• orkidlady
    14 years ago

Morning!

They arrived!!!! Yeah.....I am doing the happy dance now....I have them soaking in Ultra Growth and will leave them for a couple hours to make sure they are nice and hydrated.

Thanks again all who helped make this a reality for me!

You guys are the best!!!!

Bea are you going to send a paypal invoice for shipping and handling?

Joanne

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Golden ..... Hope you saw Sandy's note about not taking the leaves off. Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly but Sandy is right leave the leaves on (hehe leave the leaves)
    There is one that I found tough to root because the leaves are so thick and so heavy. H. latifolia has big leaves and very thick. Someone ordered one so be careful. I lost all the leaves on the first one and then tried again. The second time I cut the leaves in half. litterly, straight across the middle. By doing that you still have green to catch the sun but you reduce the size and amount of water the poor thing needs while it doesn't have any roots in the begining. The edge of the leaf heals over.

Shirley... yes the zip lock baggie is to keep in the moisture. Some people use an aquarium with a lid and put their pots inside that works too. Bottom heat is good if you have it as it does help them get their roots faster.

Yeahhh everyone! They are all finding their new homes. I am so pleased. Today is the 3rd day and all the packages should be in today. The packages that were farther away from me all were to be there by day 3. I hope they didn't lie to me.
    I hope we all will be doing the Happy Dance before the day is up:)

I am now playing catch-up with the family(camp this weekend) so not to worry I will get back to everyone about the shipping in the next few days.Some have asked me but I trust you all, besides I know where you all live:))(very big grin)

Have a great day! and I will try and check in later to see who else got theirs.

Almost forgot, pictures people.. how about posting pictures of your new babies all potted up. I will try and get some of mine too.

Bea

• sandy731
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip Bea. I got the latifolia. I had to do that with my vitellinoides a few years ago and it worked well.

I hope you don't get rained out on your camping trip....have fun.

Sandy

• orkidlady
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!

My babies are all potted up. I took 2-3 cuttings off each cutting...just in case one doesn't make it. I am a little worried about one that is really droopy but that just might be its character.

I had soaked them for about 3 hours in Ultra Growth first....then as I was potting them up, I took the label off and put clear hockey tape over top of each label so that it wouldn't rub off and the hockey tape sticks really well too.

They are in 3 inch pots. I sprayed them all down with a fungicide called Dithane....has worked wonders with violet leaves and then watered them a bit with Ultra Growth again...so got my fingers crossed.

Sounds like everyone is doing the happy dance now. Now I only have to wait five years for flowers!!! LOL!!!

Thanks again everyone!!

I will up a picture of them for everyone to see.

Joanne

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

They were here waiting for me today when I got to work. Makes it hard to work.

A question for everyone. I know David says to leave the cutting intact. Cut into smaller sections after it roots. Who leaves theirs intact, who cuts them and does it make a difference?

I will take pictures tonight while I am potting up. I can't wait to see everyone elses also!

Trish

• orkidlady
    14 years ago

Here are my pics....hope the links work

{{gwi:949520}}

{{gwi:949521}}

{{gwi:949522}}

{{gwi:949523}}

{{gwi:949525}}

{{gwi:949527}}

{{gwi:949528}}

• oldflowergirl
    14 years ago

Got my "babies" today too! Woo Hoo! Aren't they just lovely healthy cuttings. I am thrilled with this opportunity; I have been waiting a long time to replace the ones I had.

LOL "Now I just have to wait 5 years for flowers", Funny, but probably true, Joanne. :) I always go for the interesting foliage to enjoy until then.

Your plants look great, Joanne! I am going with the water rooting method. Except for my delicate little Patella. That I have in a mixture of perlite and water (little Thrive Alive mixture) and in an enclosed glass container for extra humidity.

Oh Joy! Now just to figure out how to pay Bea's invoice with Paypal and I am done.

Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Mother's Day to the Moms out there. :D

Donna

• orkidlady
    14 years ago

Oh glory be...just got an answer from David Liddle and he said he doesn't recommend dividing the cuttings until they are rooted.

Dumb ass me!!!

I just love how Bea packaged them....I threw half of them out when I first opened the package...LOL!!! Really protects them though.

Joanne

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Yeah shes quite the shredder girl! lol.

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joanne... you have a beautiful selection of the smaller leafed varieties. You should post a list of the names. Kelly and I marveled at them. We had them all laid out for the photo opp and it was one of those many times I said to Kelly "you got to see these ones" Might have drooled on them a bit sorry:) Will you put these in an aquarium now or a zip lock? I am thinking that the one who feels a little droopy would love a baggie. They really look great.

Trish.... Yeah another one arrived. This is so much fun! Your gonna love them. Post some picture when your done.

Sandy... Thanks rain or shine a camping we will go :) We are dihard campers rain or shine what I do hope is that we don't have webbed feet when we get back:))

It looks to me like we all cut them up into pieces, so far anyway. I know I read somewhere that David doesn't do that but I haven't had any trouble by doing it. Is there anyone who will leave them whole and did they work out that way too? I imagine so however would like to hear from anyone that does.

Ok Shredder has a couple photos of her cuttings :)
    I have zip locks on some of them already before I realized I needed to take the photos and some are covered. By the way that always bugs me, not being able to see the new babies very well through a steam bag. I know I walk by them a hundred times a day just to peak. Now that is where the aquarium would be nicer right.

Have a wonderful Mother's Day to all of you too.

Shredder Bea
    (ohh sounds scary doesn't it)

• orkidlady
    14 years ago

Oh Shredder Bea your cuttings looking wonderful!!! I think that is such a kewl way to cushion the cuttings though! Ingenious!!!

Here is a list of my babies:

Hoya bella albomarginate
    Hoya bilobata
    Hoya curtisii 'Philippines'
    Hoya dickasoniana
    Hoya engleriana
    Hoya halophila
    Hoya lacunosa var. lacunosa
    Hoya lanceolata
    Hoya leytenis
    Hoya linearis
    Hoya patella 'Pink'
    Hoya pauciflora
    Hoya picta
    Hoya pusilla
    Hoya sp.

I have them in a domed container with vents....I bought it at Lee Valley.

Yes also sending Happy Mother's Day greetings to the moms and the dads that are moms too!

Joanne

• sandy731
    14 years ago

Yes, I know you don't mind camping in the rain Bea. Remember when we met on Denman Island for the garden tour a couple of years ago? I had to find a laundromat to dry out my soaked sleeping bag. It rained so hard at the campground and the water ran under my tent. LOL It was fun sitting around the campfire chatting.

My goodness....I've never seen so many pots of cuttings at one time. You'd have to have several aquariums for that many Bea. LOL Is each pot a different hoya? Wow!! that looks like about the number I've ordered in all three years put together. You must have just about every hoya on David's list by now. Can I come and visit you the next time I come to Victoria? I would love to see all your plants.

Sandy

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Bear with me with these pictures!

{{gwi:949532}}

{{gwi:949533}}

{{gwi:949534}}

{{gwi:949535}}

{{gwi:949536}}

{{gwi:949537}}

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

So how are everyones cuttings? Mine seem to be doing really good. One or two have a lot of yellowing but we'll see how they come along. I can't wait to do this again next year!

Trish

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joanne.... I ordered several of the H. macgillvyraii and H. archboldiana. I wanted the different numbered Macgillivyraii to see what differences there are. I am told not much but one I know of has a deeper purple flower rather than the red color. Would like to see if in my growing conditions it will do the same.
    H. butoii
    H. bordenii
    H. bicknellii
    H eitapensis
    H. memoria
    H. nabawanensis
    H. pentaphlebia
    H. pusilla
    H. telosomoides
    H. wightii ssp. paliensis
    and a couple of the sp. ones
    These will keep me busy for awhile:)

Sandy... I do remember that camping trip very well. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and your good company around the campfire was great. The gardens we saw were pretty amazing. I was really taken with all the eco friendly was of doing things. I learn't a lot and really had a good time. Do you still do a lot of Kyaking?
    Please do stop by next time you get down this way. Would love to visit and chat about the hoyas. I really do not have all of his but I have gotten quite a few over the last few years with these orders. I never know where to cut it off and have to add just one more:) They are all still pretty small but we hope to one day close in the main wrap around deck for all the plants and lovely sitting area.I just hope it is sooner than later as the jungle will grow up eventually and I want to have a place to live:) We added a small sunroom last summer so soon I hope to do a bunch of repotting and put many in there. Our summer project is to finish it on the inside adding an sprinkler system and heated floors, fans etc. Lots of work.

Trish.... Please try again the code didn't come through right. I would love to see the photos. When I was adding mine I found out I had to open the page with the individual photo and click on the html to get the right code coppied. Maybe something simple like that.

Bea

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Okay, hopefully they stay here this time. I can see some small roots starting on a couple of the stems. All's well in hoya land!

Trish

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Trish..... They really did travel well. They look as good as they did when they were here. They look so cozy in their pots and toasty warm on the heating mat. I think the heating mat really helps them along. Sandy gave me that tip a few years ago and I use one now too.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Bea

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Hi Bea,

They did travel well, I was amazed. I soaked them in ST for a couple of hours when I got them home. My Cayganansis (?) has a lot of yellowing, almost mottled, but it feels firm. The only one I have my doubts about is Lacunosa Poonsak but we'll see.

I did not cut them into smaller cuttings so I am watching for decline and if so will chop them up. Really hoping Thomsonii does well!

Trish

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Ok well - heres a photo of mine

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Golden,

They look really nice! Did you leave intact or cut smaller?

Trish

• sandy731
    14 years ago

I've enjoyed looking at the pictures of everyone's new hoya cuttings. They're all looking really good. Here's a picture of mine. I have a couple of yellow leaves on elliptica and imperialis. The elliptica has lost a couple of leaves so that's the one I'm most worried about at this point.

Sandy

• klyde
    14 years ago

Golden, I really like rooting in the clear plastic cups, then you can see the roots as they form, especially if the cuttings are placed close to the edge of the cup. Do you have to pierce holes in the cup, or not necessary really?

Kelly

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Trish - yes I cut them smaller - couldnt fit them in the fish tank without cutting them - lol.
    Kelly,
    Yes I had my husband burn holes in the bottom with his pencil soldering gun! I would think the holes would be best - that way the water can drain out. But just my opinion. And yes I like the plastic cups too - that way you can see the roots - as you say - I'm just nosey! :0)

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

I am wondering if I should have cut mine. The only ones I did were the ones that had brittle stems and had snapped.

Kelly, I am using the clear cups like Golden is. I burned holes in them also. I am rooting in the clay pellets so I put the hole about an inch up to keep a water resevoir in the bottom.

Trish

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Trish,
    So you're fellow clay pellet user! Do you grown in it as well as root?

Our US order isn't here yet, so I've living vicariously through you guys right now!

US Kelly

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Hi Kelly,

So far I am just rooting in it and I love the stuff. Everything I have stuck in it at this point (knock on wood) has thrived. And I find it really easy to monitor how they are progressing.

I can't wait to see the pictures when your order arrives. This is all so much fun.

Trish

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Trish,

I really like it, too! From your pictures it appears you do the baggie method and have bottom heat, is that correct? How long do you typically leave the baggie on? I do mine in aquarium and I'm never sure when to take them out - when they start forming roots or when they show signs of new growth...

US Kelly

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Hi Kelly,

I keep them in the baggies until roots have formed and I am seeing new growth. I do pick off some of the pellets at times so I can what's happening but it doesn't disturb them at all. Patience is not one of my virtues :)

Trish

• shoiley
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately I think my brevialata has bit the dust, the bruised leaves kind of spread and that was it. However, I am leaving the stem in the soil because you never know! My 3 others seem to be doing okay so far.

Bea, how do I go about paying you? I haven't heard from you yet! Cheers!

Shirley

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Congrats to everyone here for all your beautiful new Hoyas!!

May I please ask a couple of questions? Since so many of you are rooting your cuttings. I am using the plastic storage method to try and root a couple of cuttings, I have an inch layer of pebbles on the bottom, with a couple of tiles on top of the pebbles, so the pot is not sitting directly in the water. Would it be better if I poked a couple of holes on the lid or keep it completely sealed? Which is the better method? I've noticed that when its completely sealed, there seems to be a lot more humidity inside than when its slightly open(for air circulation). My biggest concern is the cuttings rotting or yellowing...

Thanks so much for any advise and recommendations!

Here's a picture so you can see...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Pug I would keep it sealed. If you saw how steamy my Hoya rooting tank is you would faint but still 100% success rate. LOL

I have my Hoya imbricata and Hoya hyplosia rooting in a plastic storage container similar to yours that has a piece of plexiglass as a top and I am concerned that there is not enough humidity so I mist the cuttings every day. I would much rather have them in the heated and very humid aquarium/rooting chamber but it is completely full right now. As long as you have enough light then the cuttings can take the humidity but if it gloomy and wet in there you can run into problems.

The David Liddle order for Eastern Canada was shipped today so I will have eight more Hoyas hopefully by the end of the week or early next week. I don't quite know where I will be rooting those cuttings but I am excited none the less. I think I need a greenhouse.

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mike, Thanks so much for the reply! I figured it would be better to keep them sealed, but was worried about the yellowing...thanks again for the advise. I have my storage box in front of a bright window...NO direct sun, but bright indirect light from the window. I hope this is enough light?

Sounds like you do need a greenhouse by the sound of it,lol...enjoy your new Hoyas!! I know they are all going to be big some day and boy are we all in trouble!!

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just checking in to see how everyones cuttings are progressing. I think I will have close to 100 per cent success. There is the odd one I am watching a bit closer but I think will be okay.

I usually use the Ziplock bags but used different one and twist tied them shut. They looked like it would be easier to accomodate a lot number of cuttings on a meat mat. However, I switched them all over to the Ziplocks. The other bags just didn't retain moisture the same.

So what are every one else's doing?

Trish

• orkidlady
    14 years ago

Morning!

I have posted a new thread re: our cuttings and progression of therof.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg061302535963.html

Joanne

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor