Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber_m_gw

is there a cutting fairy around?

amber_m
10 years ago

hey everyone... so im kinda bummed that im doing this again this year, but i really dont have anything big enough to take cuttings from yet... i was planning on getting a few plants for mothers day but because we are really behind on some bills my husband and i thought we should be responsible and use my mothers day money for bills... i havent been able to add any new hoyas to my collection since last year because we just havent had the money... so i guess im asking if anyone out there has any cuttings to spare? they would be going to a good home! please shoot me an email if you want, TIA... ambermcmyne at yahoo

Comments (9)

• amber_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so my husband just broke down and told me that he lied to me and ordered me a few plants from Gardinos... he wanted it to be a surprise for mothers day (even though i had already picked out what ones i wanted a few weeks ago)... so i am going to end up getting my mothers day present!!! he said he felt so bad that ive been sulking around here with my heart aching for new plants that he just had to tell me! the plants that i picked out a while back that he somehow figured out how to order correctly is H. pubicalyx 'royal hawaiian purple, H. pubicalyx 'red buttons' and H. diversifolia aff. crassipes...

• amber_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

im still looking for cuttings but im not as depressed as i was, lol...

• cpawl
    10 years ago

Hi Amber I am very happy to hear that hubby came through for you.
    I was going to tell to remind him the old saying Happy wife happy life.LOL

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

lol @ Cindy. I hadn't heard that one before.

• amber_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol, my husband doesent take to kindly to sayings like that... hes kind of old fashioned and i really thing that because he works and i stay home and watch the kids that he thinks i have a luxury spot here at home and shouldnt complain much... although he did order me those plants, but i honestly think thats because he saw how upset i was and didnt wanna see me like that... i dont think he was planning on it to begin with, but i think he said that so i wouldnt feel bad about being upset...

og, GG, i sent u some emails, dont know if you got them yet...

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

I want the husband phrase to be:

Happy husband... = package from Thailand!

But we've probably got a ways to go before Amber works that magic. :P

Well... unfortunately, old fashioned or not, most people feel like they 'own' the money when they make the money, even when their higher brain knows it is jointly shared for good reasons. And everyone feels like they do more work and make more of an effort than their partner. There's even a cool psych study to support it!

Annyway, to be fair to your husband, as soon as you developed this hobby, he helped you renovate a plant room to support it. It's like Friday Night Lights... Sometimes you don't want to give your partner what they want, and you don't even agree that it's for the best, but a smart person knows when it's their turn.

Yep, got the emails - will respond when I get a chance. Utter chaos over here. Sorry!

This post was edited by greedyghost on Mon, May 20, 13 at 19:38

• cpawl
    10 years ago

LoL GG very true.Hubby is spending his weekend building me a summer green house.He's mostly doing it so he dose not have to hear me whine about how cool our spring and summer is on the west coast.
    I told him I was going across the broader in the morning,he asks what I am getting,I just say not to sure.He then says are going to pick up a package from your US mailing post box,yup getting hoyas from the SRQ sale. He knows me so well.LOL
    Amber your job is staying home raising your children,Its the best job one can have.I was thinking maybe there is some way you could earn a little money while you are at home,maybe child care another child around you childrens age,I had to do this when my children were still young. I hope you dont mind my suggestion just trying to give you an idea.

• amber_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

actually GG, we still have not renovated the attic into a grow room... i had to hang hooks in almost every available window this winter to make sure they had a place to live... i actually quite liked it! i enjoyed still having them all around me, and i think they liked it too!

cpawl- i dont mind your suggestion at all! ive tried to find quite a few different things to try and make money from home, from trying to sell baby blankets and afghans that i crocheted to selling and trading plant hangers i made... up until bought our house i even had the odd and end babysitting job, but now we live a little over half and hour from all family and everyone we grew up around, which doesent seem to far unless you only have one car like we do, and my husband works full time... ive always been the kind of person who had a really hard time opening up and talking to anyone, so i have very few friends... the friends i do have are almost all guys because i met them when they were friends of my husband and we just all became friends... i think thats why i like plants so much is because they cant judge you or reject you... if you love them they show you love back by growing and blooming. i think thats also why i like these forums so much, i can talk and not have to be nervous or talk to anyone face to face. so it feels like i have some friends for a while when i visit the forums... caring for plants is one of the only pure joys that i have that is still part of just me (if that makes sense). i loved plants and gardening before i met my husband, before we became a team and had kids, its one of the only things that still truely makes me who i am... i love my kids husband so much but sometimes i need a hour or so away from them, so that i can have a little peace and quiet and enjoy my plants. they are like meditation for me, they make me zen... sorry i was rambling, its hard when you have no one to talk to because your husband is at work until 12:30 at night and my kids (4 and 2) are not the best conversationalists... i just need to rant and vent every once in a while... thanks for listening to me!

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

@ Cindy

I can't wait to see your greenhouse, Cindy! I bet this weekend can't come soon enough for you! I think if I had a greenhouse otw, I would be as restless and inattentive as a kid the week before summer vacation.

@ Amber

I'm sorry I misunderstood how much progress had been made on the attic. The pictures you posted made it seem well on its way. Is it still in the works or have you decided to use the space differently?

I know how you feel about your plant hobby. I was also struggling personally when I got into Hoyas. Now, I am much happier, but everyone needs a hobby that is demanding enough to focus their mind, but simple enough that they can unwind. When I'm with my plants, I'm just present in the moment.

I'm glad you feel comfortable here. I find that a lot of the people who are chattiest on the web are the most reserved in person (and vice versa). Does anyone else feel this way? For me it happens because I can organize my thoughts faster when I'm writing than when I'm speaking. But idk if that's only variable in play.

p's. I think my plants get pretty judgey when I don't water them fast enough. ;P

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor