Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber_m_gw

tiny black dots on hoya?

amber_m
11 years ago

hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can tell me whats going on with my plant... i have teeny tiny black specks all over my hoya compcta, it looks like someone was spray painting a few feet away and the wind blew tiny specks all over it... im wondering if its something to do with maybe them being too wet? if anyone can tell me what might be going on here i would be very grateful...

Comments (7)

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

It's hard to tell if it should be something that you should worry about without seeing it in person. There is a chance that the specks are fungi related. Is this covering all leaves on the entire plant? If there are no other symptoms such as yellowing of the leaves I would suggest that you don't worry too much about it.

Mike

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yea im not seeing any other problems... so ill ignore it for now but keep my eye on it. just in case i did spray it with a pesticide that was also a fungicide and helps prevent desease... ortho ecosense brand 3 in 1 rose and flower care... my mom had it lying around at her house so i used it...

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Amber,

Just a thought, but (you're new right), perhaps don't spray insecticide so quickly, until you know what you have, if it IS or isn't bugs & if pesticide will hurt the Hoya (I'd slow down a bit on that if I were you).

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i havent used any pesticide before now... i was treating mealies with rubbing alcohol but they were still hiding on me, this pesticide contains sulfur and pythrum as its active ingredients... if it were up to me i would slow down, but since im at the point that my husband is saying get rid of the pests or get rid of the plant im kinda trying everything... and ive held off treating it with any type of alcohol/water spray for a few weeks, just swabbing with alcohol when i see em... when my mom got sick of hearing me talk about having pests found the ortho ecosense sitting around at her house she gave it to me to use... i havent seen any pests so far and i treated it this last saturday... the fact that it was also a fungacide was just a plus, not the reason i used it in the first place... i know i may be new to hoyas, but if i dont get pests taken care of, my husband is gonna put a stop to the plants now before i get to move past the new faze...

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Some Hoyas are definitely more sensitive than others. I was shocked and disappointed to see black burn specks on my lucardenasiana leaves, that no doubt came from a spraying I gave them that they did not like. I'm more cautious now.

The guy at PATSP has a story similar to yours, maybe you will find it informative as there is a photograph included. It's a nice blog regardless. Read it here.

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you for the info, those are not the black dots... it really looks like someone was spray painting a few feet away and the breeze grabbed tink paint particles just right and blew them all over my plant, they arent burn marks... and they were there before i sprayed with the pestacide so it wasnt caused by that... ill try and post a pic here in a little bit...

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

heres some pics... the one looks like it could be burn spots but i dont know about the others...

{{gwi:949911}}

Source: Uploaded by user via Amber on Pinterest

{{gwi:949912}}

{{gwi:949913}}

{{gwi:949914}}

oh and the white film that you see here and there is residue from the pesticide... it was really thick, i need to wash it off later today...

Sponsored