Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question regarding sun

Posted by hermie3rd 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 12:13

Hi Everyone! It is FINALLY nice here in Michigan! Last week, I started moving my hibiscus and hoyas outside. I've moved them to my front porch, which faces east and gets morning sun. It was cloudy for a few days when I moved them, so I figured it would give everyone a chance to acclamate from being indoors to out. (Also, all the plants I moved to the front porch receive the same light during the fall and winter, because they are in front of my living room window).

I'm new to hoyas, and I've got a carnosa and a rope. I noticed the carnosa is getting new leaves that are actually reddish in color since moving it outside. Is this normal? The leaves were really dark green when my mom gave it to me, and it has never bloomed. It was suggested to me to move it into brighter light to promote blooms. The older leaves have turned a lighter green, but don't look like they are getting sun scorched at this point. I just want to make sure the reddish leaves are normal, since this is my first summer with my hoyas.

Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question regarding sun

Hi...Red leaves on new growth is normal for a lot of hoyas.They will slowly turn to green when they mature.Bright light causes this and it is good for the carnosa's,being it will stimulate flowering.too much direct sun will cause scorching of the leaves,which looked like white splotches on the leaves that will eventually turn a browner color...Jimmy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here