Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

Carnosa observation

Denise
12 years ago

I had this largish community pot where I had thrown a bunch of cuttings in together last fall. Stuff I had lots of and I had kind of an "if they make it great, if they don't, so be it" attitude about. There were a few cuttings of carnosa in there - the one that was cuttings off my 'KP' that had reverted to all-green. It's been my experience that cuttings in community pots do well, so I wasn't surprised when they all rooted and then started growing this spring. But I wasn't paying much attention to that pot until I got my succulents out of the GH and started working on repotting and up-potting. When I pulled that pot out to seperate all the cuttings, the carnosas were setting "bunches" of new leaves. What I mean is that at two single nodes that already had two leaves each (and then grown a stem out), there were 6 new leaves. I've seen this happen with fungii, but I don't think I've ever noticed it happen with a carnosa. Anyone else see this happen? It's going to make it look quite compact!

Denise in Omaha

Comments (18)

• squidy
    12 years ago

That's cool! Got pictures?

My KQ does have a couple nodes with 3-4 leaves each, but I didn't witness them grow, so I don't know if they started with 2 and grew the others later, or just grew them all at once.

• cena60
    12 years ago

Yes, please... to the pictures. And no, I haven't!

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

I have a KQ in my bathroom window that now has 6 leaves at one node. It originally only had the 2, then more grew in as time progressed. I thought nothing of it until I read this post, either. lol I'll see if I can get a pic posted later.

• Denise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You can only see 4 of the 6 new leaves, but here it is...

Maybe it's just a sign of a super-happy plant!

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

This is the way my grandmother carnosa grows, even in bad conditions (like in a tiny decorative pot in poor light). Maybe yours is just reverting to a characteristic of a forgotten ancestor. I've certainly never seen my other carnosa cultivars do this, which used to disappoint me b/c I really like this plant's habit and I originally expected all Hoyas to be like it. (lol)

With my carnosa, it doesn't end up looking too compact, because then it sends out a long vine and creates another bunch. I know you're all bored with the picture below (or at least I am), but you can see this formation pretty well on the vines that are dropping down in front. clump vine clump vine. clump vine.

My plant prefers to finish the clump before elongating the little nub of vine beneath it, although it might add leaves later, too, I'm not sure.

• scsva
    12 years ago

That is a lovely plant and set up GG.!!

Susan

• peanut01
    12 years ago

GG- That pic looks to bright to be your apt. For some reason I always associate your place with lo light - idk y?

Denise - I have a ew that grow that way too - I suspect happy plant... All my Lacunosa grow that way and some of my older Carnosa. 4 leaves per node originally 2 per node then the second year the other 2 grow.

-David

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

lol! I don't know - it actually gets a lot of natural light. Maybe because of all the books and dark walls - makes it seem like one big study.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr because I grew my plants without supplemental lighting this winter and the leaves got pretty dark. :X (Yep, probably that one!)

• banannas
    12 years ago

Hey Denise,

The hoya that I have that is unidentified does exactly that so perhaps the id that is a carnosa is right on. Will try to post a pic tomorrow. Congrats on the growth!

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Denise,
    I've had that happen with several- dischorensis, dimorpha and seems like there is another one as well! Creates a lot of fullness!

Kelly

• janisoga
    12 years ago

Forgive me if this improper, but I am trying to reply to Densie about buying some cuttings or plants and I lost her email address - can anyone help me? Thanks, Jan -- jpo@gsllaw.com

• grmadarr
    12 years ago

I am also interested in your e-mail; Denise.
    grmasutton@gmail.com. All of you post such wonderful pictures!! I guess someone will have to let me in on the secret.LOL Darr

• Denise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Janis & Darr,

You guys are right - for some reason, my "send me an e-mail" link wasn't there any more! I know it used to be. Anyway, I've fixed it so you can reach me through my member page now.

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Ha! I knew I wasn't crazy! The same thing happened to me and I still can't get it to work right. Maybe I'll just add it to my profile.

• banannas
    12 years ago

uht-o I wonder if David has been getting my emails for epiphytica order.

He probably thinks I'm lame now.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

It's pretty obvious when the email settings aren't working properly because your email address doesn't show up and it won't let people send you a message through GardenWeb.

They are working fine for David, so I'm sure he got your mail.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

That's neat Denise and I don't think I have ever seen it happen with my carnosa. I do have an unidentified species called GPS 3762 from Paul Shirley that does this and it is one of my favorites because it usually makes at least four leaves in a whorl. I have another from David Liddle with the id IML 0392 that is very similar. The only other one that I can think of right now that has this type of growth is Hoya lambii.

Mike

• banannas
    12 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up GG!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company