Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

What a year (so far)!

Denise
12 years ago

All I can say is WOW! My Hoyas are happy as clams, growing like mad, and oh my, some of the leaves I'm seeing on some species are massive!! I turned my 'Nong Nooch' the other day while cleaning and found a leaf that just about made me jump back it was so big! It was over 9" long, about twice the average size and 3" longer than the longest leaf. Callistrophylla is another that's putting on BIG leaves...

That biggest one you see in the center was from last year, but the new ones are coming in quite large, too. And it's decided to bud up...

Notice the newer buds already forming behind the older buds. Last year in May, I had a peduncle bud up but it aborted before they opened. I'm hoping they make it this time. I can't imagine the flowers being any more eye-catching than the plant, though.

We had some early warm weather this spring - maybe that's what got them going. But then we had quite a cold spell. But now we're in our third day of A/C weather - I heard we broke yesterday's record high for this date and we're likely to do it again today, in the mid-90's. I'll be glad when it cools back down, even though my Hoyas seem to love it!

Denise in Omaha

Comments (7)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Denise that leaf makes an already impressive plant even more appealing. Glad to hear you are having some nice sunny weather, we are flipping back and forth between sunny and cloudy/rainy still.

Mike

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Denise
    Spanish language
    "bravo" "bravo" y "bravo"

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Congrats Denise...its great when our hoyas grow and make us happy! That large leaf sounds amamzing!! That hoya has very striking leaves!

• scsva
    12 years ago

You grow girl! Just beautiful!

Susan

• geosdee
    12 years ago

OK guys can you refresh my old memory on how to post a picture (from photo bucket), I seem to have forgotten, which is nothing new cause it was more that 10 minutes ago. I want to post a picture of my H. kast. You gotta love those leaves. It is a very slow grower, I got it last year and it has only 4 leaves but wait till you see them.

Thanks, Dee

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Denise,I love Callistrophylla for her leaves.I feel very lucky that I was given a small rooted cutting this past winter.I have had 2 leaves grow since having it.Having flowers is a bonus.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Denise How exciting that you are getting such splendid leaves from two such striking Hoyas. I just love that photo with the second set of buds coming in from behind!

/Dee (in case no one's answered yet)

1. From your photobucket homepage, select the album your picture is in.
    2. Move your mouse cursor over the picture you want to share. A window will pop open with a series of share options. What you want is "HTML code"
    3. Click on the line of text to the right of "HTML code" and it will automatically be copied for you.
    4. Click in the "Message" box at GardenWeb, and hit Ctrl+V and the code that was saved earlier will be pasted.
    5. /hold for applause

Note: The default in Photobucket is to provide the code for the full size image. There is also an option where they will give you the code for a thumbnail sized image. (see my example below)

In order to easily access this code, you need to change your preferences as follows:

1. Click on the image you want to share.
    2. Once the photo's window opens up, in the right hand corner you will see the same share options as appeared when you moved your cursor over it in my steps above.
    3. In the upper right corner of this area, there is a small link that says "Share." Click on this.
    4. When the inset window pops up, click on the tab that says "get the link code."
    5. Check the box to the left of "Clickable thumbnail." Hit Save.
    6. Now, the thumbnail code will also be presented in the steps above.

Additionally, when you are on the picture's page, if you hover over it, it will give you resizing options. Of course, this permanently changes the size of the picture stored on photobucket, which you may or may not care about.

Or, once you have the standard code, you can tinker manually with the display size settings. Obviously, you will want to keep the picture dimensions proportional, so this involves knowing your photograph's dimensions and doing a bit of math. For example, my photograph's true size is 1024x768, so if I wanted it to show up at half size, I would type: width="512" height="384" ... in the code right before the word "border". (see my example below)

Hope this helps a little!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!