Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_k_gw

Hoya needing a name

stephanie_k
10 years ago

I did a trade for two cuttings of a hoya. It was bought at Meijer's so I figured the name would not be right and cannot remember what she did say was on the label. The hanging basket actually looked artificial. Anyone?
Also the longer cutting should I leave it or cut it in half so I can have 3 cuttings? Should I remove the lower leaves? I rooted my first cuttings but I cannot remember if I did remove the lower leaves or not.

Comments (9)

• kamikakushi
    10 years ago

My educated guess would be Hoya polyneura.

Kami

Here is a link that might be useful: H. polyneura at hoyor.net

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Yes, Polyneura (aka Fishtail Hoya, for obvious reasons).

I wouldn't cut these further to root them. I haven't found them to be the easiest to root personally.

Also, is that supposed to be variegated? Or is it just strangely mottled. These are usually solid green (from what I've seen).

• stephanie_k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kami and Pirate girl, 'fishtail', is the name she said.
    From the link above it does say that there is a slivery leaf h.polyneura though the plain green leaf is most common.
    Into the fishtank with my other cuttings, fingers crossed that they root.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

You do not have to remove the lower leaves. Just make sure there is a node buried or in contact with the soil. The bottom of the leaves can get slightly buried.

There's not really a consensus on whether it's better to have longer or shorter cuttings, so you're going to get a mix of answers on that. If you really want to push its potential for rooting, you could lay that short one flat along the soil and it will be able to root from multiple nodes if it likes. But I feel some Hoyas take to this approach better than others and I'm not sure how polyneura is.

I think it is just mottled. Sometimes mine grows nice consistently dark leaves and other times they look more like that. I think it has to do with the light since they're all dark now. I provided a link to the silvery leaf polyneura below, although it's hard to see the silver exactly in a photograph... (at least for me)

Good luck with the rooting!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:950361}}

• stephanie_k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Greedyghost, the little pot I put them in is not big enough to have the short one lay flat.

The silver is different from mine, so if I give it proper lighting mine will start coming in all green? I do like the mottled coloring on the leaves. The whole hanging basket that I got my 2 cuttings from was like this. It is what drew my attention to it.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Keep it in good light if you like the way it looks now. Mine is darker because of the lower winter light levels.

No worries - just thought I'd mention the horizontal strategy for future reference. Since you've got a rooting aquarium going, I'm sure you know your business and they will root fine. :)

• stephanie_k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greedyghost, I just started my rooting aquarium this winter. I actually think I read some of your old post that told me how to do it. So I am very new at using a tank and working with cuttings. I have always bought or being given full plants. After reading other post about starting from cuttings I thought I would give it a whirl. : )

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Well the nice thing about using an aquarium is that it does all the work for you. I'm glad you decided to go for it. Rooting is stressful for many, but I think it's fun - maybe even my favorite part of growing Hoyas.

Just to give credit where credit is due, Denise is actually the one who put together the "rooting aquarium how to" page. But I sure do link people to it a lot, because it got me on my feet, too. :)

• stephanie_k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes that was the article, Thank You Denise!
    For people that are on a budget before buying the needed items try 'freecycle', that is where I got my 30 gal. tank.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions