Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Tough Hoyas (that you should try)

greedygh0st
11 years ago

Well, I've gotten myself in the mood to promote Hoyas that are beginner friendly, but might not yet be in the typical starting lineup. We all have different plants, so hopefully there are a lot of good suggestions out there.
What do you have sitting on your shelf that you consider easy to grow, but frequently overlooked or under-appreciated?

Like, if you wanted to gift your newbie friend a collection of 10 plants s/he wouldn't kill, but were a little bit off the beaten path.

(Note: Let's just make these suggestions about the plant's vigor, not about the ease of its acquisition - it would be nice to also include plants from Thailand that travel well, for example)

I have to say I am really looking forward to creating this list myself. But it might take me a moment, so I'm going to go ahead and float this thread out there for the rest of you. I hope I get some ideas too. Toughness is my favorite Hoya attribute.

Comments (9)

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

Rope hoyas are under appreciated in my eyes. very easy to grow and look so cool in a nice 6 inch basket! I have had a hard time with the variegated one though.....i am on my 2ed plant and only one stem left.....not sure why the growing conditions would differ but the variegated one hates me =( I think it may be a tri color it is light dark green and some pink on it. Also the ds 70 is a nice fast growing hoya that is easy as pie to care for it will bounce back if you over water it which is good for me because once in a while my hubby tries to help me water......lol

• Asterope
    11 years ago

I have a few ideas on some good beginner ones...

densifolia - shrubby and fast growing

cummingiana - also shrubby and fast growing

pauciflora - I find new leaves on mine almost every day - I keep it indoors in my office and only water it when its dry.

potsii - This one grows like a weed for me - I keep it outside all year round

australis - another one that grows like a weed that i keep outside all year round - it is native to the area so i would expect it to do well - love the big thick round leaves :)

cv. Gold Star - This one was my best grower until it suddenly went into decline - grew about 1.5m in 12 months outside from 20cm cutting - I hope i can save it!!

I think one of my favourites though is linearis - it is not hard to grow by any means and is one of the better cold weather ones, grows a bit slowly - some people dont like the look of it (its like spanish moss/old mans beard)

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

For me the easy grower are all pubicalyx and all eriostemas!!!!!!!!

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, here is my list of less common Hoyas fit for a beginner.

acuta
    amoena
    australis ssp. rupicola
    australis ssp. sanae
    balaensis
    benvergarai
    bicknellii
    bilobata
    camphorifolia
    chlorantha
    chunii
    crassicaulis
    cv. Joy
    diptera
    dischorensis
    diversifolia
    dolichosparte
    fitchii f/n/a/ CMF-8
    fungii
    globulosa
    graveolens
    heuschkeliana
    incrassata
    ischnopus
    juannguoiana
    kastbergii
    kenejiana
    limoniaca
    litoralis
    lobbii
    loherii
    lucardenasiana
    meiflua
    merrillii
    micrantha
    nervosa
    nicholsoniae
    obscura (white form)
    oreogena
    pallilimba
    panchoi
    parviflora
    paziae
    picta
    plicata
    pottsii
    revoluta

I actually think, if I had it to do all over again, I would just start with 5 acutas and 5 pottsiis and learn on them.

Eriostemmas are a great suggestion because they give you a lot of courage because they grow so fast and always shine with health and vigor. That's the plant you want to point to and take credit for growing.

• amber_m
    11 years ago

gg thank you so much for starting this!!! if ever i want to go purchase any more (which im sure to do at some point) this is the list im going to go to... THANK YOU!!! its so hard being a beginner and not really knowing anything about any of the bizzilion different hoyas, and as im reading stuff i see phrases like, as easy as carnosa or something like that and im like, well i have a carnosa but have only had it for like a month so i dont know how easy it truly is...

• goddess9
    11 years ago

GG, don't eriostemmas need lots of light and heat?

Otherwise, I love that list. Fitchii REALLY is an easy grower. Got rained on a couple of times and was wetter than it would probably have liked, but it is now sprouting like crazy. Gorgeous leaves, too.

I may need to copy the list for when I order again. ^_^

• amber_m
    11 years ago

ok, now im in love with Eriostemmas, was just messing around and refound this post... decided to look up pics to see what they look like and DAMN! they are so cool!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

One Hoya always pops into my mind when I think about tough and easy to grow species is Hoya sp Haruku. This plant grows at an amazing pace and a single cutting can be a nice small plant in only a year. The vines eventually hang heavy with leaves and make a beautiful plant.

Mike

• patrick51
    11 years ago

Tough question, G.G....some hoyas are easy, but they dislike intense heat, such as carnosa. I find the easiest of the hoyas are those in the finlaysonii/callistophylla section...gorgeous foliage, handles cool and intense heat, blooms frequently in moderate light, can't be over-watered easily, handles periods of dryness, fills in nicely...what more could you ask for?! Many are "easy", but beware of letting them get too wet, or beware of letting them dry out, some can't handle intense heat. Some easy ones and gorgeous ones are: H. glabra, polystachya, macrophylla, nervosa, albiflora, caudata, vitellinoides, rigida,incrassata, tjadasmalangensis, deykeae, etc. Some are easy once "established", i.e., davidcummingii, chlorantha, fitchii...but, they may give you fits until they're established. I won't even get into the "tough" ones..but, the #1 toughest on my list: H. sigillatis. Fondly, Patrick