Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

My Hoyas' (And Other Houseplants') Summer Vacation

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Well, all my plants are outside now for the summer! I'll take a picture later on after I get some other things done like planting up my winter sowing seedlings lol. Anyone else have theirs outside yet?

Good news is I have room for one more hanging plant lol. I'm torn between a hoya (Royal Flush if I can find it) and an epi (been wanting to find an orange flowered one).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (14)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Not yet...
    night time temps are still in the mid-40F's and occasionally the upper 30F's.
    I ain't gonna risk it! ;-)

Josh

• scsva
    12 years ago

Mine are all outside on the front porch. The temps have been consistently in the 40's at night but they have been fine for weeks now.

Susan

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I put plants out last weekend, so right in time to nearly be blown off my balcony by the recent storms. I don't put Hoyas outdoors, though. I keep them all tucked away like Bluebeard's wives.

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Mine have been out for several weeks as well. There have been a couple of nights where it's been in the lower 40's, but seemingly not long enough to do any damage!

Kelly

• peanut01
    12 years ago

I've had mine outside since about the last week of April here in VA. The only problem I faced was a little leave burn on a few since the trees weren't completely leaved out yet. I also cringe every Mother's Day due to the fact that my yard and front porch are full of nice Mother's Day gifts.

Out of the EA varieties which ones can handle full-FULL sun? I typically will get burn on any Lacunosa, Carnosa, Polyneura, and DS-70. Wayetti can almost handle it but does get burnt slightly if dry too. Maybe Linearis?

-David

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

The carnosa of my mother in love, in Ronda, enduring temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius. It was out and covered (under cover) and reserved cold wind. Some years it snowed.
    Sorry for my English.
    Thanks.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Well, it hailed here last night. No further comment. -_-!

• jlt37869
    12 years ago

Mine went out mid-April ,,, it's so nice to get them out of the house (especially my grandmother's carnosa)!! I still need to take spring pictures of the others too.

GG - oh no, hopefully, you didn't experience too much hail damage!

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Is usually very difficult, or impossible, to get the carnosa of our grandmothers out. Is easy to understand.

• Denise
    12 years ago

I put all my succulents out the last week of April & first week of May (it takes me awhile!) A few Hoyas are out there, shivering their little leaves off! We've been in the low 40's at night and 50's during the day after a three day spell of the 90's. Yesterday, when I got up, they were talking about "wind chills" in the 30's. Did anyone tell the weather gods that it's May?? Geezy-peezy!

Denise in Omaha

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I just pulled my succulents back in after a cold night of rain....
    I wanted them to get a good acidic rainwashing, but now that they're wet
    I want them to warm back up. I'll drag them out again tomorrow morning.

I'm still not ready to risk the Hoyas ;-)

Josh

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I'm with you, Josh. They go out, they come in, they go out, they come in. It's a thing we do.

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

Mine have been going in and out for a couple of months. It was unseasonably warm, so they went out, then it cooled back off so they came in. Then it was windy so they moved to the other porch, then it was unseasonably cold again so some are in and some are out. It is supposed to warm back up to lows above 50 so lots will go back out again. I need a plant transporting cart.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh, I'm well beyond wanting a cart at this point. I want a little wizard.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions