Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Who's the Boss?

greedygh0st
12 years ago

Lately, I've been thinking about the change that comes over us as our relationship with plants metamorphoses from "This planter matches my kitchen color perfectly! Off to IKEA to fill it!" to "I wonder if finlaysonii will bloom if I read it a bedtime story every night?"

I collect antique planters, but they are almost all empty because (drainage hole issues aside) they don't make sense for the way I grow plants (for now.... >_>.) I consider potting expenses as serious a part of my budget as automobile repair. I've forgotten the view outside of most of my windows, because it would be involve a small circus of movers to get close to them. I got out of bed at 3AM on Saturday night because I had forgotten to get the hydroton soaking. And I fought for over a month to assemble everything neccessary for the brewing of willow tea. Honestly, I could probably fill this whole page with insane plant things I've done in the past week that I'd be embarrassed to tell my sisters.

And, really, I can't remember the last time when I approached a plant with a "what can YOU do for ME" attitude. I really have become their minion at this point. Even forcing the cat to kowtow. "You dare to touch that Aleya cutting with your filthy filthy paw?!"

So, I'm wondering. How in control are you of your household?

And here's a survey: Poll: Who's in charge: your plants or you?

Comments (25)

• ladygreensleeves
    12 years ago

I am....until they demand to be watered,repotted,fertilized,untangled from their neighbors,photographed,moved to a brighter location,shader location,warmer location,or cooler location,talked too,admired,or any of the other number of things they demand from my life!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I would like to believe that I am in charge of my plants...but let's be honest! It definitely feels like they are the boss of me most of the time. Who else would "worry" when DH says he wants to take a short trip to see his brother in TN. Most normal people would be excited to get away...instead I say oh, oh...wonder who I can get to check on the plants and water them...So in my house I guess the plants are in charge!

GG, I have done what you're saying...laying in bed and jumping off the bed because I realized I had forgotten to bring a hoya back inside ,lol...poor DH thought the house was on fire!

NOT Good!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

My plants rule the apartment and are waited on leaf and root. LoL
    I spend more time watering and caring for my plants than I care to admit and I have on more than one occasion jumped out of bed in the middle of the night to bring a plant in from the cold.
    Vacations are only ever allowed to be two weeks long and I always try to have a plant sitter. My plants have it pretty darn good.

Mike

• Denise
    12 years ago

My plants best compare to Lucy (our German shepherd) and the two kitties (Bella & Pearl) - I work my butt off to give them the best food (VF-11) and a roof over their heads (the GH, which is VERY expensive to maintain!) I spend lots of time talking to them, telling them how pretty they are in soft tones. Yeah, I suppose they rule the house just like the pets do! But I couldn't ask for a better pack of buddies. They reward my loyalty with beautiful growth and lovely flowers. Of course, I'm pretty sure my neighbors refer to me as "the crazy plant lady of Pacific Street"!

Denise in Omaha

• klyde
    12 years ago

My plants are all over my kitchen counters (along with everyplace else), and often share the table with me. I admire every little effort they make, and grieve when one dies. I drastically pruned a rather rare adiantum and nephrolepis (what was I thinking? - I know better) and it appears they have packed it in (I'm really sorry guys). I have a plant journal and keep track of all of their progress, which actually comes in quite handy. Jeez there is nothing worse than forgetting you left a plant outside! Worse yet when you remember in the morning. I apologize for days and pour on the tlc. They're like green pets. Needy green pets. Let me tell you though, nothing calms this hummingbird down like fussing over my plant family :)

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

I'll be a smart aleck and say of course Mona was truly the boss and not Tony or Angela :) (I wonder who all got that joke?) I know, I know I watch too much classic TV lol.

Seriously though, I have to say my plants are the boss instead of me. They're a good boss though ;) . I don't mind working for them. I just wish they would bloom for me!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• cpawl
    12 years ago

My plants are in control of me for sure.My husband some times jokes that he wishes that he was one of my hoya plants and some times I feel bad about this but just for a minute.LOL

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"waited on leaf and root" .............lol. Precisely!

You guys are cracking me up. I'm glad at least none of us are in denial (and that I'm not the only one who jumps out of bed in the middle of the night!)

/Denise You know, there have been times when someone unaware of the extent of my obsession innocently uttered a phrase like, "I bought some new plants yesterday." And I thought to myself: Do NOT rise to the bait. Do NOT be crazy. Just nod and smile and under no circumstances tell them how many seeds, cuttings, and other propagation projects you have going on at this moment. But then I just figure, I need to let my freak flag fly!

/Brad I was thinking of Tony. ^_~

/Cindy This has been on my mind before, too, but I've decided we wouldn't be as cute without our passions.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

lol GG, yeah, you gotta love Tony too. I remember Janet on Three's Company having a lot of plants in the apartment. Then again, she did work in a flower shop :).

Uh oh, here comes my creative side again! Now I'm thinking of naming four of my plants Tony, Angela, Stanley and Helen (everyone's favorite landlords) lol.

The way I have Pink Silver displayed right now in the macrame hanger wouldn't look out of place on either show!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• RedTurtle
    12 years ago

you all need help.

• klyde
    12 years ago

Ooooooo macrame hangers!

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Klyde, lol, if I remember later on, I'll take a picture of it.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

RedTurtle is that an offer to come help repot? I could use help with watering every now and then as well. LOL

Mike

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love repotting and even I am getting burnt out after this weekend. I don't know how many more days I can spend with my apartment looking like it was recently flooded, leaving a fine layer of peat over everything.

On the upside, my Gesneriads are finally looking more like plants and less like mangy growling mutts.

• klyde
    12 years ago

I'm with you all on repotting. Love, love, love it. Get all the bags of amendments, wash the pots, put on the tunes, pot of gen maicha brewing and I'm good for go. How weird is this: I'll let my friends know if I'm repotting that weekend and invite them over to do theirs as well. They sit and watch and I divide and repot. I find it very relaxing and peaceful. Who needs help repotting? I'm on my way...

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL

My first instinct was to say: Heck yes, I will attend your repotting party! (And avoid cleanup aftermath hell. hehehe)

Then I imagined trying to get all my plants into the car and drive them over.

/sadtruck

• klyde
    12 years ago

I'll bring the SUV...

Jeez wouldn't that be a hoot. A hoya 'pot party'! Whooo hooo the long weekend is coming up. Who's in?

• kukka
    12 years ago

Sorry klyde, I can't come. That's because I already potted most of my cuttings yesterday, due to them having ROOTS now. They didn't have any when I got them, but they do now, because they love me.
    Otherwise it sounded just like my kind of fun.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Are you two serious? I am the worst repotting procrastinator ever and I just can't see the fun in repotting. I love sowing seeds or potting up new plants but repotting is just such a drag.

Mike

• klyde
    12 years ago

kukka: What's not to love?

Mike: you gotta be doing something wrong buddy. Maybe you left something essential off the list. Do I recall you are a Merlot man? Well that's your #1 on the list of essentials...and don't forget the tunes!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I no longer partake in wine when working with my plants. Years ago I was admiring a tiny Stelis orchid species that was covered in hundreds of flowers when I dropped it upside down and well it (and I) were never the same again. Talk about traumatizing!
    I guess as long as I am sitting on the ground how much trouble can I get in right? LOL
    Hopefully I can talk myself into repotting a bunch of orchids over the weekend because they need it bad.

Mike

• peanut01
    12 years ago

I am not the boss of anything but the plants lol - the list goes daughter, wife, cats, then me followed by the plants. If I don't keep myself healthy my plants will not be healthy.

I've had my share of plant accidents without any libations. Just yesterday I was throwing a makeshift javelin(long branch) closer to the compost heap. Then what do you know it impaled my favorite hosta in my garden 'Dream Queen'. I will walk the debris to the compost pile next time. Not too long ago I was teaching my daughter how to throw a frisbee and my first throw chopped a big Angel wing begonia in half. Luckily I rooted the other half and now that plants is thriving and bushier than ever :)

In regards to repotting... I enjoy repotting plants that I do not have to worry about declining after the repot. I enjoy repotting my succulents since I view it as an 'artistic process'. I also enjoy raising my adenium in their pots to develop their caudex. My hoyas not so much due to the fact that no matter what I tell them to do they pretty much do what they want to do anyway.

-David

• klyde
    12 years ago

Jeez Peanut, remind me to duck when you throw something! I'm still howling about the begonia...sure, easy to laugh now.

Mike: you gotta let that one go. Life is too short. Maybe next time, carry it right side up? (still laughing here)

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Mike I am sorry about your orchid. They are stunning plants. Yes we can get upset about it when we have a klutz attack (as I often do in general) on our plants. Maybe someday, you'll get another Stelis orchid!

David, that is a very good example of turning a negative into a positive! I would be thankful enough that the begonia survived!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh man, I have to side with Mike on wine + plants do not mix. I have distinct memories of trying to handle a group of cuttings after going out with coworkers for happy hour and I felt like someone had outfitted me with giant oaf hands. All I could do was gather them up and drop them into the aquarium as gently as my idiot-hands would allow, to wait until I'd sobered up.

I think I just like repotting because everything is sooooo neat and tidy afterward. The odd bits and pieces have been consolidated, the pots and trays are gleaming. The dragonfly clips are properly color matching. Gesneriads especially look 200% better, like that scene at the end of the movie where the dorky girl turns out to be a knockout once you take her glasses off.

/David Those stories are priceless. Clearly, you missed your calling as a plant assassin.

Sponsored
More Discussions