Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

ID these insect hitchhikers, please

greentoe357
9 years ago

Got these little buggers on one of my incoming cuttings from a subtropical climate. Looks like some sort of cocoon hatched on the leaf. The little wormy things (larvae?) were wiggling around, mostly in place. I washed them off under a spray of water, sprayed everything with alcohol, dried, gave it a thorough shower, then gave all cuttings a soap solution bath overnight, and then again a shower. Hopefully, that nuked them if there were any even left - they seemingly easily washed off in the very first washing I gave the cutting.

They actually do not look like a pest harmful to plants that I can recognize. Looks like the leaf was basically a vehicle for the insect to attach its eggs to, just for mechanical support. But it's interesting to know what this is anyway. Anyone knows?

By the way, do not ask me who I got this from - I won't tell you. The person knows, was very gracious and apologetic about it, and is taking immediate appropriate measures to inspect and control. So, shop/trade away - but always ALWAYS aLwAyS thoroughly inspect incoming plants - in addition to the shipper hopefully also inspecting outgoing ones. And quarantine them for 4-6 weeks if you have the space (yeah, right), even if nothing bad was found.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!